Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

please keep anon or delete.

recently returned from a trip to mexico.... whilst i was out there i discovered a small lump around the chest area ( im female ) ... some days it looks quite big and red and some days it looks smaller but its still there :/
    im worried i mite just be over-reacting....
    any suggestions as to what it mite be ? :/

ReputationRep:
    Look, nobody on here could possibly diagnose, you just have to go to the doctor.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, my official diagnosis is that it's a completely unidentifiable lump pending further investigations.

ReputationRep:
    Go to the doctor. If it is cancer, which I hope it isn't, it's just stupid avoiding the doctor. Most cancer deaths are because people spotted a lump, and then avoided the doctor until it was too late to save them, because it had spread to the rest of their body. You never know, if it is cancer, you might get it removed and it could never come back.

ReputationRep:
    Why are you asking a bunch of students for medical advice?

(Original post by keepa7)
    Why are you asking a bunch of students for medical advice?
    Why is this forum here if no one is apparently qualified to list possible reasons for various symptoms?

ReputationRep:
    Did you have sunburn in that area? That could be a factor.

(Original post by JoeTSR)
    Go to the doctor. If it is cancer, which I hope it isn't, it's just stupid avoiding the doctor. Most cancer deaths are because people spotted a lump, and then avoided the doctor until it was too late to save them, because it had spread to the rest of their body. You never know, if it is cancer, you might get it removed and it could never come back.

thanks for your help.

i know it sounds stupid.... its just, the doctors wont be open again until monday and my imagination and mind is kinda going into over-drive

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FXX)
    Why is this forum here if no one is apparently qualified to list possible reasons for various symptoms?
    I take it you're claiming to be one?

Ok then.

List all the possibilities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    thanks for your help.

i know it sounds stupid.... its just, the doctors wont be open again until monday and my imagination and mind is kinda going into over-drive
    Have you tried phoning NHS direct? I've forgotten when they're open, but they may be able to help.

ReputationRep:
    A cancer lump doesn't get smaller some days and bigger the other. They get bigger. And they don't usually look red.

Sounds like a cyst or something. How big is it? How long have you had it? Does it hurt?

ReputationRep:
    Just got back from Mexico? Could be an insect bite... possibly infected. Could be anything, really. Try not to worry and book an appointment with your doctor, just to be on the safe side.

ReputationRep:
    Is it sore? Sounds like a cyst. I would still go and see your doctor for peace of mind.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    You really need to see a doctor, it could be any number of things.
    It is always better to know as soon as possible - if it's nothing you can stop worrying and if it is something, the earlier you know the better.
    A couple of years ago I found a lump under my arm, I plucked up the courage to show my GP and after a few seconds of poking it he said it was just a lymph node. It saved a lot of worry by asking him asap.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 2, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.