Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Here's the thing: I want to study economics at uni and am going to make 4 of his 5 applications to top 10 UK universities. I have now been advised more than once (by a family member and a close friend) not to do economics, because I could do "so much better than that" and because "it'd be a waste of my intelligence"

The alternatives that both were implying was physics and/or engineering... making technological breakthroughs and all that.

Now, it's all well and good if people just said "do what you want to do, what you enjoy" and so on. I just feel like there's a chance that I may one day look back and resent it, because of something that I could have been.

What I really want to hear, is if people genuinely think that economics is a soft science, or whether it rivals the prestige associated with natural sciences. I don't necessarily even want to be an economist, but rather in financial services, and even a lady from such a background told me that she'd "have more respect for someone who had studied physics rather than economics".

Maybe I'm talking rubbish, but it does make you doubt yourself if several unrelated people say the same thing.

Cheers.

EDIT: O ye, and another good point: I said economics is what I want to do, but physics is something I would quite like to do. So, if it was a matter of, urgh, physics I hate, then the choice would be easy. The problem is that I'm interested in both, and in economics, a little more than in physics.

ReputationRep:
    Your family have given some shocking advice there. The subject is very well regarded indeed and it's also very academic.

ReputationRep:
    No it's not a waste. I hate it when people say that the only subjects worth doing are engineering/medicine etc. 'Sciences' are not the only worthwhile subjects. It is only a waste if you do a subject you don't enjoy. Personally, I wouldn't want to study economics but if that's what you want to do, then do it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SixthFormer08)
    Here's the thing: I want to study economics at uni and am going to make 4 of his 5 applications to top 10 UK universities. I have now been advised more than once (by a family member and a close friend) not to do economics, because I could do "so much better than that" and because "it'd be a waste of my intelligence"

The alternatives that both were implying was physics and/or engineering... making technological breakthroughs and all that.

Now, it's all well and good if people just said "do what you want to do, what you enjoy" and so on. I just feel like there's a chance that I may one day look back and resent it, because of something that I could have been.

What I really want to hear, is if people genuinely think that economics is a soft science, or whether it rivals the prestige associated with natural sciences. I don't necessarily even want to be an economist, but rather in financial services, and even a lady from such a background told me that she'd "have more respect for someone who had studied physics rather than economics".

Maybe I'm talking rubbish, but it does make you doubt yourself if several unrelated people say the same thing.

Cheers.
    Forget about 'prestige', it's just masturbatory. Do a course you enjoy whether that is a PhD in Astrophysics or a BA in Media Studies.

ReputationRep:
    Economics is dodgy in that it depends where you study it. The Economics courses at LSE/Oxbridge are probably the most competitive undergraduate courses in the country due not only to the shear number of applicants but because of their high calibre. People that are not academically aware will always downplay the prestige of Economics even at the top unis because they dont understand that getting an offer for Economics at LSE/Oxbridge is extremely difficult.

ReputationRep:
    I chose to study history, two art subjects, and maths (at least) for my A-Levels and probably should've done law/sciences, I'm constantly being told that I've wasted my intelligence and academic ability

If you enjoy a subject and pursue your interests, eventually making a career out of it then you haven't wasted anything. If I'd have done something medical then everyday I'd wish I'd have been a photographer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ghy78)
    Economics is dodgy in that it depends where you study it. The Economics courses at LSE/Oxbridge are probably the most competitive undergraduate courses in the country due not only to the shear number of applicants but because of their high calibre. People that are not academically aware will always downplay the prestige of Economics even at the top unis because they dont understand that getting an offer for Economics at LSE/Oxbridge is extremely difficult.
    I'm aware that successful application percentages are tiny for economics in top unis, but does that say anything about the course or the subject as a whole?

ReputationRep:
    Do the subject you like most, that enables you to write the best PS and make the most of your studies.

Tell them that if you were to study physics/engineering simply because they think that's more valuable than it's unlikely you would enjoy doing it and thus never really achieve anything.

ReputationRep:

Cheers.
    Do what ur good at and enjoy doing. The money and respect will follow automatically.

ReputationRep:
    You've been given duff advice.

ReputationRep:
    I don't necessarily even want to be an economist, but rather in financial services, and even a lady from such a background told me that she'd "have more respect for someone who had studied physics rather than economics".
    Don't study economics because you want to work in financial services. Study what you enjoy; a science will get you just as much recognition as economics when it comes to working in the city.

Anyway, economics is very well respected.

ReputationRep:
    O ye, and another good point: I said economics is what I want to do, but physics is something I would quite like to do. So, if it was a matter of, urgh, physics I hate, then the choice would be easy. The problem is that I'm interested in both, and in economics, a little more than in physics.

ReputationRep:
    Think of the very intelligent economists who changed the world, from Marx to Hayek. Imagine if these people had decided to study engineering because economics would've been a waste.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah economists dont get as much credit as they should really don't know why but I'm in the same situation but I've chosen economics as it will give me more of a student life than engineering at uni

ReputationRep:

Cheers.

EDIT: O ye, and another good point: I said economics is what I want to do, but physics is something I would quite like to do. So, if it was a matter of, urgh, physics I hate, then the choice would be easy. The problem is that I'm interested in both, and in economics, a little more than in physics.
    A lesser degree rarely exists. Different people do different career. I wouldn't study maths if i wanted to go into journalism. Pick what you like and what would lead you to the career you want.

ReputationRep:
    I suggest you think about what you want to do after uni: more study? Job? Research? Explore the options that you'd have with a physics degree and an economics degree and see what exactly you'd like doing better.

ReputationRep:
    Econ at a top uni is pretty much the thing to do if you want to make it in finance.

(Original post by JW92)
    Think of the very intelligent economists who changed the world, from Marx to Hayek. Imagine if these people had decided to study engineering because economics would've been a waste.
    :yep:

ReputationRep:
    if your interested in economics and physics, why not do joint honours? both subjects are very well respected. do what you think you'll enjoy. dont worry about what parents/friends think. my parents wanted me to study law at Cambridge, now I have an offer for history from Oxford. you'll succeed most at whichever you enjoy

ReputationRep:
    So many people at my school are going to do Economics as they think it is some sort of sure fire way into the city. In reality you are better off doing a subject that is actually interesting for you. As long as one gets a good degree you have a good a chance as any in Grad. recruitment. Indeed the majority of people in the Private Equity company my Dad works for did not do Economics as a first degree; often science and engineering.

However if you actually enjoy Economics (!) or are thinking of doing American Studies or Tourism instead, then why not do Economics.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.