Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Ok so I'm really confused about whether or not this guy likes me.

I have known him for about two years, first of all I just worked with him and saw him at work and for some of that time he had a girlfriend. However I worked only in holidays and he wasn't working there after the first few times I worked. I still saw him quite a bit though and he usually came out when I invited him. About 10 months ago I went out with him and two other people we used to work with, we were all pretty drunk and I ended up pulling him, I barely remembered much about it though so I didn't know if he did.

Since then I've seen him every few months when I get back from Uni but nothing of interest since the summer holidays began. He invited me out a few weeks ago and I ended up not being able to make it but we finally met up again last week with some friends of mine and again a few nights later. He's a very genuine nice guy and a perfect gentleman, so it's hard to know how he feels when he's so nice to everyone guys and girls. But the other night we were having a really flirty conversation for part of it, without my other friends involved. At one point one of my mates asked the group "Who is your secret fantasy" referring to someone you've always wanted but think is way out of your league. Also both times we went out last week he mentionned "that night we kissed" which made it clear he did remember and didn't think it was an awkward topic.

When I got home I text him to say that it had been good to see him, that he should let me know when he was free next week and I was looking forward to a big night out in town the two of us had promised to go on with his mates. He text back pretty standardly, said he was "keen " for the next week and going out in town, ending the text with "sleep well x."

Because I thought that was the end of it I was surprised about 10 minutes later to get a text from him that said "Damn- no i didn't get a chance with my secret fantasy girl"

I didn't know if this was a mistake or meant for me so I jokily replied referring to the girl who'd driven us all home and dropping him off last. He carried on the joke and referred to a couple of slightly flirty conversations we'd had earlier in the evening before saying he'd leave me to sleep since I had a very early start in the morning.

Finally I sent him a very casual text saying it would be nice to go for a drink early next week where we live rather than the next town where we usually go and where everyone else lives, hoping that it would be obvious I meant just the two of us. He said he had a trial shift monday and might be working tuesday but if that changed he'd let me know, and we already had plans with everyone for wednesday.

So... how am I supposed to tell if he likes me? I've liked him for ages.

ReputationRep:
    tldr

he sounds like he likes you :yep:

ReputationRep:
    tldr

trim it down a lot and repost.

ReputationRep:
    yep i recon so

What does tldr mean?
    And sorry it's so long! I just wanted to say everything that I thought mattered

Perhaps the message he sent to you, was in fact a mistake and not meant for you. But as you had responded, he felt it would be best to carry on the story; to perhaps see what you thought of it?

I know that in certain cases (when this happens), people try to invoke a reaction - to see if they also liked you.

I think you should admit you like him? Perhaps he likes you too, and that this message (that wasn't meant for you) has only made things worse, and now he doesn't know how to make his move, for you to think that he's a 'player'?

ReputationRep:
    http://imagemacros.files.wordpress.c...unnololdog.jpg

ReputationRep:
    Ask him.

I wish it was that simple but i've known him so long what if its awkward if he doesnt

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I wish it was that simple but i've known him so long what if its awkward if he doesnt
    People don't play the lottery to lose. Asking him would be simple, direct and much easier than trying to second guess and wait for him to do something about it.

ReputationRep:
    Ffs, what is the ******* point in posting tldr? To up your ******* postcount because you've nothing better to do?

OP - it sounds like he does like you, yes. Just try and move the flirting up a stage and see if he responds. If he does negatively, back off, try again, and if it's clear that he doesn't like it move on. You can stay friends that way :yes:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 2, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.