50.00%
    No
    0%
    Maybe
    12.50%
    Waste of money!!!!
    37.50%

ReputationRep:
    The Government is to pay for hundreds of recent university graduates to go on "gap year"-style trips around the world at a time when thousands are struggling to find work because of the recession, it was revealed.

The scheme will help graduates take part in overseas expeditions with Raleigh International, working on development projects such as building schools and improving sanitation and is designed to help them develop the "soft skills" like leadership, teamwork and communication, making them more attractive to employers.
    According to The Times, the £500,000 scheme will fund up to 500 participants, who will be expected to raise £1,000 themselves and pay for their own flights and vaccinations for the trips, which would normally cost about £3,000 a person.

http://news.uk.msn.com/uk/article.as...ntid=148939426

DISCUSS

Instead of funding gap-years ( with the sole intention of making the Unemployment figures look better ), the Government would do much better if it spent the money providing proper grants and scrapping tuition fees.

ReputationRep:
    Well said neomilan, its shocking to start so many people off in the world with such huge amount of debt!

ReputationRep:
    I don't think this sort of thing needs to be funded by the goverment but I can see why taking a post uni trip would be beneficial. I think the government should be cutting back on schemes like this in a recession not go out and splash the cash.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neomilan)
    Instead of funding gap-years ( with the sole intention of making the Unemployment figures look better ), the Government would do much better if it spent the money providing proper grants and scrapping tuition fees.
    That's sort of like reupholstering the deck-chairs on the Titanic. The money set aside for this is tiny compared to what scrapping tuition fees would cost.

Don't get me wrong, I think this scheme helps so few people in such a small way that it's a pure gimmick. And I want fees scrapped for non-Mickey Mouse Unis. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    I hate this sort of "charity". What we would think if middle class people came over here and stole jobs by building houses and school. The way to help Africa is to provide funding to make these schools and provide jobs and training for local citizens.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.