Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Ok.

I've been given a new PC free today. It runs XP, but has no boot menu of any kind, which means I can't format the hard drive and re-install an OS, or add Linux, which I desperately wanted to do.
    Reading online, it looks like the general advice is to reset the BIOS by opening the PC and removing the battery for a while, or using the switch. Now, as is probably VERY obvious from the above, I don't have a clue what I'm doing, but this is a free PC so I'm willing to take the risk to get it working properly.
    Now, I don't know what a BIOS looks like - there are two things inside that look like the images I've found on Google, but neither have a switch or battery near them. In fact, I can't find a switch or battery at all!

Can anyone offer advice? If it helps, it's a HP Compaq D530-SFF.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpj1987)
    Ok.

I've been given a new PC free today. It runs XP, but has no boot menu of any kind, which means I can't format the hard drive and re-install an OS, or add Linux, which I desperately wanted to do.
    Reading online, it looks like the general advice is to reset the BIOS by opening the PC and removing the battery for a while, or using the switch. Now, as is probably VERY obvious from the above, I don't have a clue what I'm doing, but this is a free PC so I'm willing to take the risk to get it working properly.
    Now, I don't know what a BIOS looks like - there are two things inside that look like the images I've found on Google, but neither have a switch or battery near them. In fact, I can't find a switch or battery at all!

Can anyone offer advice? If it helps, it's a HP Compaq D530-SFF.

You are looking for a coin battery, indicated on the picture. This computer is actually a Compaq Presario D500 - a computer used in one of the mock crime scenes I've investigated at uni, so it should look fairly similar. Pop the battery out for 10 seconds and then replace it.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Mad Vlad)
    You are looking for a coin battery, indicated on the picture. This computer is actually a Compaq Presario D500 - a computer used in one of the mock crime scenes I've investigated at uni, so it should look fairly similar. Pop the battery out for 10 seconds and then replace it.
    I don't think 10 secs is enough... I sometimes had to leave it out for upto 10mins.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for the help. Looks like I can't do it anyway, though; the battery you've indicated, Mad Vlad, seems to be hidden underneath another drive of some kind (I think it's underneath the floppy drive) and I have no idea how to remove that and it seems to require a screwdriver I don't have to hand - so that'll be a bit too risky.

No Linux for me.

ReputationRep:

Tad off topic ... Checked your profile out.
    Digital Forensics? Whats the course like?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by impervious)
    Tad off topic ... Checked your profile out.
    Digital Forensics? Whats the course like?
    Excellent. :awesome: You thinking of studying it?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for the help. Looks like I can't do it anyway, though; the battery you've indicated, Mad Vlad, seems to be hidden underneath another drive of some kind (I think it's underneath the floppy drive) and I have no idea how to remove that and it seems to require a screwdriver I don't have to hand - so that'll be a bit too risky.

No Linux for me.
    Can you get a photo of it?

ReputationRep:
    I can't tonight as it's dark and my room has ambient, rather than useful, lighting. Will post something up tomorrow, though.

ReputationRep:
    I can't tonight as it's dark and my room has ambient, rather than useful, lighting. Will post something up tomorrow, though.
    Okies

ReputationRep:
    Excellent. :awesome: You thinking of studying it?
    My choices are made, but it was one of them courses I have heard about and thought it would be a pretty cool thing to get into.

ReputationRep:
    does your motherboard loader page come up to you the option to enter the bios? if it does you need only to flash the bios. otherwise, if you have found the battery, just google how do i remove a floppy drive, which trust me is straight forward and easy to do on pretty much all pcs, and then use a flat headed screwdrver, but be careful not to knock anything. about 3 minutes is what i was taught at college, however i would just leave it on the side all night to let any life run itself out just to be sure

hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    My PC:

I've indicated with the red arrow where I'm assuming I should be looking, based on the below picture I found online.

Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    unplug the floppy drives. its probly screwed in on both sides, may need to take your cd drive out first. but its the same procedure. unscrew everything, then push out the pc, from in to out not from out to in

hopefully your batterys below it

ReputationRep:
    You won't even need to do that. Lift up that green ribbon cable and you should see a little yellow button, shown on that picture next to the CMOS battery. Push this button and hold it for 10 seconds. This should reset the CMOS without having to break out the toolbox

ReputationRep:
    Thanks again Mad Vlad.
    Found the yellow button (woo!) and did as instructed, but there's no change to the fact that there's no boot menu available, so it seems that after all that, it wasn't the problem.

ReputationRep:
    well in that case maybe your bios chip is dead or maybe the battery has had its day

if you got the computer for free, just buy a new motherboard, only got about £40 for a good one

ReputationRep:
    Thanks again Mad Vlad.
    Found the yellow button (woo!) and did as instructed, but there's no change to the fact that there's no boot menu available, so it seems that after all that, it wasn't the problem.
    Pants. Does it beep or make any sound at all?

ReputationRep:
    Pants. Does it beep or make any sound at all?
    Nope. My only other idea is that it's something the university have messed with deliberately (it's an ex-uni PC) to stop students messing around with the BIOS themselves. It brings up a the HP screen, then moves straight to Windows, with no chance to press anything else.

ReputationRep:
    Nope. My only other idea is that it's something the university have messed with deliberately (it's an ex-uni PC) to stop students messing around with the BIOS themselves. It brings up a the HP screen, then moves straight to Windows, with no chance to press anything else.
    Ahh right! Try pressing F1, F2, F8, F10 or del when the HP screen comes up.

ReputationRep:
    Ahh right! Try pressing F1, F2, F8, F10 or del when the HP screen comes up.
    Have tried all of those. Nothing seems to happen.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.