Turn on thread page Beta

Do pulls ups train left/right lats equally? watch

ReputationRep:
    I still feel that my right lats are bigger than my left. I'm pretty happy with my pecs but I'd still like to be a bit broader-shaped. However I don't want to be lop-sided either. Do pull ups require equal weight on both sides?

ReputationRep:
    If you're right handed the right size of your body will tend to be slightly more built than you left, arms, pecs, back etc. It's very rarely noticeable though. Pull-ups will train both sides equally, assuming you pull with both sides equally.

ReputationRep:
    Apologies if I get the wrong guy, but aren't you 110lbs @ 6ft or something like that? Worrying about symmetry?

Really?

ReputationRep:
    That was a few months back, surely if he followed advice he must be up 20lbs by now. At least.

ReputationRep:
    If one side is smaller work it out slightly harder, easy as that.

ReputationRep:
    Inject your steds into that side

ReputationRep:
    Do one arm dumbell rows and work harder when doing your weak side, which should bring it up to standard with the strong side

ReputationRep:
    5'7 and 110lbs actually

Now up to 132lbs and 12.3% fat (that's the machine talking not me).

It actually goes back a long way. A few years ago I used to get trouble with my back and went to see an osteopath. He noted that I was much more developed on the right side than the left - porbably due to always carrying a bag over my right shoulder (I also had a bent spine as a result). The other thing I remember is being told in a gym that machines were often imperfect for training because of this. That's all.

ReputationRep:
    Without being scientific or backing my claim up with various articles, I'd say that pull ups do not train both sides equally. I've certainly noticed, even when trying to keep the correct form, that my left side lags a bit during the pull up which is then compensated by the right side (not all the time, but some).

I'd imagine that in order to be sure both sides are developing correctly you would need to lift independently on each arm using dumbells for example. Though ofc there are only so many exercises to do with those.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.