The Student Room Group

Resolution 2009/09: Concerning the situation in Somalia

Submitted to: Security Council
Subject: Piracy in Somalia
Proposed by: The Portuguese Republic

The General Assembly,

Noting with regret that despite the efforts of military aid from many nations, piracy is a continuing problem for Somalia,

Further noting that there were 111 attacks last year by Somalian pirates, and that that number is set to increase this year,

Conscious of the desire of the Somali government to be able to deal with piracy, but is not able to due to unavoidably insufficient training of forces, and loss of control over a large part of the country,

Stressing that further action is needed in the form of training for Somali forces and emphasis on peacekeeping in crucial areas if a long term solution to piracy in the area is to be found,

Calling all member states to take the issue of piracy very seriously, and to take into consideration the following actions,

1. Calls upon able member states to dispatch military training forces to Somalia to properly prepare Somali military and police forces to deal with piracy in their nation without the need to rely solely on military services from other nations;

2. Recommends that such training should equip Somali military and police forces to:
a. Protect citizens of the country who may be under threat from pirate activity, particularly those living in areas where levels of piracy are high,
b. Regain control over areas overwhelmed with pirate activity by re-establishing and reinforcing the law and dealing with pirates appropriately,
c. Work with other nations and organisations undertaking peacekeeping and/or military missions in Somalia to help strengthen the impact on the reduction of piracy, and to help the government regain control of the country;

3. Commits to the establishment of a suitable training facility in Somalia for such training activities to be carried out;

4. Encourages member states to donate, where able, to the funding for the establishment of a training facility and the provision of necessary equipment for the Somali forces;

5. Recommends that nations/organisations do not withdraw any peacekeeping and/or military missions which are currently combatting piracy in the area, so as to continue to support Somali forces;

6. Urges those member states with current peacekeeping and/or military missions in the area to refine their missions to further help combat piracy by:
a. Focusing attention to coastal areas on land where piracy is becoming a major threat, such as Eyl, Harardhere and many other towns, particularly those in the Puntland region,
b. Easing conflicts at the borders separating the area controlled by the TFG-ARS government from the Somaliland separatists and the Islamists, to aid the government in regaining control over the country;

7. Commends nations/organisations who are currently providing aid to Somalia in relation to this issue;

8. Expresses its hope that able nations will partake in the much needed training for Somali forces in order to increase the progress made towards overcoming piracy in the area.

[OOC]First resolution woop! :woo:[/OOC]

DUEL-REPRESENTATION VOTES
Noémie - UK (Yes), Israel (Abstain)
Student2807 - France (Yes), Venezuela (Abstain)

ALTERED VOTES
jakemittle (Nigeria) vote changed form Abstain to Yes
Mauritius agree's with this and supports the notion of millitary action to patrol the coast of Somalia for pirates.
Reply 2
Kenya agree with this resolution. We would like to see greater stability throughout the worlds oceons and offer any aid available to the somalian nation. Piracy affects no only the country that harbours the pirates, nor the nation whose ships are affected but all nations due to the dangers it put merchant shipping under.
Reply 3
The Portuguese Republic thanks Mauritius and Kenya for their support.
Estonia, while not having the suitable experience to support the nation of Somalia in developing its skills at defending its vessels from piracy, is fully in support of this resolution.
I must say, I'm rather disappointed that such an important issue and such a well-written resolution has garnered such little debate.

Can I take this to mean that people are happy to vote on it?
Reply 6
Mexico does not agree with this resolution. We believe the idea is good but at the moment could potentially cause further instability in the country.
Reply 7
one abstain for israel because we wish to support this with our military but cannot due to current internal affairs. we hope to add our name to this resolution as a yes in the future.
Added One Abstain for Israel.
As well written as this resolution is. It fails to mention the Islam extremists. The focus may be on Pirates, however the extremists pose a greater threat to the stability of Somalia, considering they are directly challenging the transitional government. Until they are solved. the government will have a hard time dealing with the pirates, even with international help. So for this reason Nigeria will abstain from this resolution.

[ooc] good job by the way abc246!! :biggrin: [/ooc]
Reply 10
The Portuguese Republic would like to point out that clause 6, sub-clause b does mention the Islamists, and the Somalian government have themselves asked for this help in military training to dealing with piracy.

We are sad to hear Israel cannot sign at the moment but thank them for supporting the resolution.

[OOC]Thanks! :smile: [/OOC]
Oh, it does!..Nigeria would like to apologize for missing clause 6, sub-clause.
In light of that sub-clause, Nigeria will agree to the resolution.

[ooc] is it too late to amend my vote Mr.SC? Im not sure whether I can do that[/ooc]
This just means that we can sign and not do anything, as we are not able to train countrys when we can barely fight one.
The Republic of South Africa supports this resolution.
France supports this resolution (voted for)

Venezuela will abstain from this resolution (not voted for).
Reply 15
The Republic of Korea supports this resolution.

The RoK is commited to stopping piracy attacks, we have already commited naval vessels earlier this year, but would be milling to provide more support if requested.
jakemittle
Oh, it does!..Nigeria would like to apologize for missing clause 6, sub-clause.
In light of that sub-clause, Nigeria will agree to the resolution.

[ooc] is it too late to amend my vote Mr.SC? Im not sure whether I can do that[/ooc]

For you, it is, but not for me :wink: It'll show your name by the Abstain option but the numbers will change :smile:

I'll ammend Nigeria's vote from an Abstain to a Yes.
This excellently written resolution was a success. It will be passed to the Security Council for discussion.

Latest

Trending

Trending