Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Read here.

Do you this is a good idea? Is it going to work? Debate.

ReputationRep:
    Will it work? Well, it depends what your goal is.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it's right to deny someone citizenship because of their political stance...

ReputationRep:
    A step in the right direction but those who are anti-UK shouldn't just be denied citzenship, they should be deported back to where they came from.

ReputationRep:
    Extend it to "EU Citizens" as well and we have a winner.

Oh no wait, we can't...

ReputationRep:
    If someone was 'anti-UK' why would they be here? You can be anti-UK government without being anti UK. Not very fair and it's not gonna happen.

ReputationRep:
    I think its a good idea. If you're anti-UK or anti-UK government, you should not get UK citizenship. Thats very basic common sense

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by indigoblue)
    anti-UK government
    "...and if you let me in, I'll be voting Conservative."

Rejected.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeytk)
    If someone was 'anti-UK' why would they be here?
    lol? Ever heard of extremist Muslims? To quote a smart Australian fellow (and this could be said for the UK too)...

"Before entering a mosque visitors are asked to take off their shoes," Mr Costello said. "This is a sign of respect. If you have a strong objection to walking in your socks don't enter the mosque. Before becoming an Australian you will be asked to subscribe to certain values. If you have strong objection to those values don't come to Australia.

I think its a good idea. If you're anti-UK or anti-UK government, you should not get UK citizenship. Thats very basic common sense
    What about those who attack the UK government but already have UK citizenship? Should they have their citizenship revoked?

ReputationRep:
    How about banning muslim immigrants from the UK

problem solved

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kolya)
    What about those who attack the UK government but already have UK citizenship? Should they have their citizenship revoked?
    Depends what you mean by 'attacking the UK government'.

I disagree with the government on some things, but I'm not 'anti-UK' by any stretch of the imagination.

ReputationRep:
    I think this is a great idea.

ReputationRep:
    Sure, why not kick out all the unpatriotic protesters?

And all those involved in anti-social behaviour, not just the non-natives?

If you're going to be a fascist dictator, at least be consistent about it.

I reject the proposal outright. We do have an immigration problem but we should not solve it via considerations of political or moral convictions such as anti-patriotism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kolya)
    Good point.

ReputationRep:
    I don't agree, really. It's setting a dangerous precedent for rejecting somebody citizenship on the grounds of political, or religious, belief.

Depends what you mean by 'attacking the UK government'.

I disagree with the government on some things, but I'm not 'anti-UK' by any stretch of the imagination.
    Well, the article mentioned "unpatriotic activities like demonstrating against British troops". Why should UK citizens be able to do that while those who want UK citizenship cannot do the same? Why the double-standards?

ReputationRep:
    I thought the point of immigration was finding a better life.

Integrating was a big part of it. Yeah, the Irish and the Cypriots had their countries split in two by the British. But when they got to Britain, there wasn't the slightest idea that they would misbehave towards the UK establishment. Now society is so 'tolerant' or whatever, the new waves of immigrants don't behave alot of the time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeytk)
    If someone was 'anti-UK' why would they be here? You can be anti-UK government without being anti UK. Not very fair and it's not gonna happen.
    When you say anti UK government, do you mean anti labour, or anti government as a whole i.e. anti parliamentary system?

Not really sure its good to be inviting those kind of people here.

Secondly do you really think many immigrants come here with the intention of embracing and adopting the ways of this island, when they can just blend in with the anonymous sea of immigrants in our cities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kolya)
    Well, the article mentioned "unpatriotic activities like demonstrating against British troops". Why should UK citizens be able to do that while those who want UK citizenship cannot do the same? Why the double-standards?
    Why, therefore, would you want citizenship of a country you disagree with so much?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 8, 2009
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.