Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheJudge)
    Your subjects are soft subjects. If you study a second degree of law then you could earn a lot more money but as yet you are on course to be a highschool teacher.
    If you say so dear

The fact of course remains that what I choose to do with my life has no reflection on my intellect, George Orwell died almost broke, so have many of the greatest literary minds in history.

The fact that you equate intellect with earning capacity seems to be indicative of your immaturity, and if I may be so blunt, lack of intelligence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Richard_A_Garner)
    I'm anti-UK Government. Does that mean I should be denied Citizenship? Every single member of the SNP is anti-UK. Should they be denied citizenship?
    Technically they're British people. Are we really looking to take on immigrants who disagree with British law and want to go and live in some ghetto the minute they get here? Cause thats what we've been doing up to now

If you're an immigrant, and you hate our country, you can go elsewhere, you're not our problem

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Don_Scott)
    Because UK citizens have a right to be here.
    Which means having a right to be here is not contingent on liking the UK or ther UK Government.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Don_Scott)
    A step in the right direction but those who are anti-UK shouldn't just be denied citzenship, they should be deported back to where they came from.
    Agreed!

ReputationRep:
    Which means having a right to be here is not contingent on liking the UK or ther UK Government.
    Well it kind of is, the government has no responsibility to give you citizenship.

Every country has internal problems, I just think we're looking to make external problems internal problems

"I'm a Muslim Afghan, I don't like the UK, but I'm willing to live there to make a mint"

Does this person have the right? Are they any good whatsoever for our society? Nooo

ReputationRep:
    It is for immigrants.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by indigoblue)
    Technically they're British people. Are we really looking to take on immigrants who disagree with British law and want to go and live in some ghetto the minute they get here?
    New Labour have introduced approximately one law a day since they got elected. I bet even you don't know all the laws, let alone an immigrant, and yet now you think that they should all agree with all the laws?

Moreover, this topic is about granting citizenship, not immigrant status. Somebody can be an immigrant without being a citizen.

Cause thats what we've been doing up to now

If you're an immigrant, and you hate our country, you can go elsewhere, you're not our problem
    You do realise that the UK has only existed for three hundred years or so, don't you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy the Anarchist)
    If you say so dear

The fact of course remains that what I choose to do with my life has no reflection on my intellect, George Orwell died almost broke, so have many of the greatest literary minds in history.

The fact that you equate intellect with earning capacity seems to be indicative of your immaturity, and if I may be so blunt, lack of intelligence.
    You're the one who places great importance on 'literary minds', i however place much more importance on business, science, financial and engineering minds....

These people usually end very rich.

The fact you don;t care about making money shows you are a naive child, you don't know what mature is... wait till you have to pay your own bills, we'll see how flat broke looks then.

Mature is something your teacher puts on your report card and you go and show mummy and daddy with a big beaming smile on your face.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think a "send the buggers back" mentality is the way forward.

ReputationRep:
    Well it kind of is, the government has no responsibility to give you citizenship.

Every country has internal problems, I just think we're looking to make external problems internal problems

"I'm a Muslim Afghan, I don't like the UK, but I'm willing to live there to make a mint"

Does this person have the right? Are they any good whatsoever for our society? Nooo
    I don't see why. You plainly said that they plan to make a mint, certainly not something they can do without selling something to people here who benefit from it. In the meantime, not liking the UK harms nobody.

ReputationRep:
    New Labour have introduced approximately one law a day since they got elected. I bet even you don't know all the laws, let alone an immigrant, and yet now you think that they should all agree with all the laws?

Moreover, this topic is about granting citizenship, not immigrant status. Somebody can be an immigrant without being a citizen.
    Theres a difference between disagreeing with laws, as most British people do, and having a rapidly different political view than British people. You might not agree with all the laws - thats in tandem with our peoples views - but you're only here for economic reasons and you'd rather live under Sharia Law? Sayonara

You do realise that the UK has only existed for three hundred years or so, don't you?
    Relevance?

ReputationRep:
    I don't see why. You plainly said that they plan to make a mint, certainly not something they can do without selling something to people here who benefit from it. In the meantime, not liking the UK harms nobody.
    Well yeah it does. We already have enough social problems. We already have ghettos springing up everywhere and mistrust between neighbours. We kind of already have enough "stuff" being sold to us, we don't need another bunch of people who will look down their noses at the way of life and think they're 'like, so much better' because they're all Muslim and up themselves

ReputationRep:
    Theres a difference between disagreeing with laws, as most British people do, and having a rapidly different political view than British people. You might not agree with all the laws - thats in tandem with our peoples views - but you're only here for economic reasons and you'd rather live under Sharia Law? Sayonara
    What if you are here to help end the UK? What if somebody from Nova Scotia applied for citizenship here so that they could vote for and campaign for the SNP? This is somebody who doesn't like the UK, wants it to cease to exist, and yet wants citizenship, as a tool to attain that.

Relevance?
    I am trying te establish precisely what it is that you are referring to when you say "hate our country," because I think that Britain is something that has been referred to for more than a couple of thousand years, and yet the country of the United Kingdom has existed for much, much less.

ReputationRep:
    Well yeah it does. We already have enough social problems. We already have ghettos springing up everywhere and mistrust between neighbours.
    people are perfectly free to mistrust each other. It is not the job of the state to prevent people mistrusting people, only to protect their person and property.

We kind of already have enough "stuff" being sold to us, we don't need another bunch of people who will look down their noses at the way of life and think they're 'like, so much better' because they're all Muslim and up themselves
    If we have enough stuff then they won't make a mint because there will be no demand for what they are selling. This is the great thing about capitalism: If you get rich on a free market, it is because you have helped a lot of people and made them better off.

ReputationRep:
    What if you are here to help end the UK? What if somebody from Nova Scotia applied for citizenship here so that they could vote for and campaign for the SNP? This is somebody who doesn't like the UK, wants it to cease to exist, and yet wants citizenship, as a tool to attain that.

I am trying te establish precisely what it is that you are referring to when you say "hate our country," because I think that Britain is something that has been referred to for more than a couple of thousand years, and yet the country of the United Kingdom has existed for much, much less.
    Those trains of thought are already established in the UK. I don't regard Scottish nationalism as a threat. I regard foreigners wanting all women to wear cloaks as a threat

ReputationRep:
    Those trains of thought are already established in the UK. I don't regard Scottish nationalism as a threat. I regard foreigners wanting all women to wear cloaks as a threat
    Sorry, was the proposal to deny citizenship to everybody who is a threat, or was it to deny citizenship to anybody who was "anti-UK"?

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, was the proposal to deny citizenship to everybody who is a threat, or was it to deny citizenship to anybody who was "anti-UK"?
    So we're looking to deny citizenship to anyone who might turn out to be a Scottish separatist? Thats the dumbest thing I ever heard.

By 'anti-Uk' I thought we meant those who hate our way of life, not those who really really want Scottish independence

ReputationRep:
    Why would anti-UK immigrants want to ovtain citizenship to the UK if they hate it?

ReputationRep:
    So we're looking to deny citizenship to anyone who might turn out to be a Scottish separatist? Thats the dumbest thing I ever heard.

By 'anti-Uk' I thought we meant those who hate our way of life, not those who really really want Scottish independence
    Oh, so the thread title should be about hating a way of life, not hating the UK? Gotcha. Now, what way of life is this?

ReputationRep:
    White young people are just as capable. Don't look down your nose at people. You can take your generalizations and shove them up your ass.
    This.

At risk of sounding corny, every child no matter their ethnicity is as capable as another child from a different ethnicity.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 9, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.