Turn on thread page Beta

Hey everyone, I'm 18 and ive been wearing glasses since i was 3. I have to wear them all the time and I am sick of them, always cleaning them and them steaming up etc. I'm really thinking about contact lenses now. I was always put of by stories of the lens going to the back of the eye and things like that, and taking them in/out. Now i want to try them, what do you guys think? Should I try them?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    1. use the search function - there are so many threads on this already
    2. as someone who has been wearing lenses for nearly 4 years now - wear them!! far more convienient. don't be scared of stories you've heard, if you wear them as instructed everything should be fine, and on another similar thread ppl said it wasn't even physically possible for it to go to the back of your eye

DO IT!

ReputationRep:
    Lenses are great, they don't hurt, my vision in lenses is better than in glasses, you don't have to crane your neck when trying to see the cinema screen, and they're just...fantastic. Best decision I ever made! Have been wearing them for 2 and a half years, do it TAKE THE PLUUUUUNGE!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, its definietely worth a try. I wear glasses but contacts for sport and in the summer when I'm wearing sunglasses a lot.

Go to an optitions they'll talk to you about what you'll wear them for and teach you how to take them in and out.

Its good to get them 'fitted', even if you dont wear them a lot so that you have them as an option.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hey everyone, I'm 18 and ive been wearing glasses since i was 3. I have to wear them all the time and I am sick of them, always cleaning them and them steaming up etc. I'm really thinking about contact lenses now. I was always put of by stories of the lens going to the back of the eye and things like that, and taking them in/out. Now i want to try them, what do you guys think? Should I try them?

Thanks
    Bit in bold number 1: Lenses are even worse for cleaning, they're more time consuming and do it wrong, could buggar up your eyes.
    Bit in bold number 2: It's a urban legend, the lense physically can't go to the back of the eye.
    Bit in bold number 3: You get used to it - I used to take about 10 mins to put my lenses in with the aid of a mirror, now it only takes me a couple of seconds without one!

Apart from that - i've been wearing them since I was 9, and I love them (I wasn't trying to put you off, honest!). It's nice to have the freedom of choice between lenses and glasses I'd defo speak to your optomotrist (sp?) about having a trial

ReputationRep:

Thanks

Lenses are amazing! Mine have never gone to the back of my eye. Taking them in and out at first for me was awful - I had to go back to the optician's for a new appointment as I couldn't do it the first time! But now I don't think twice about it!

Losing my glasses also made me a lot more confident!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Homie)
    It's a urban legend, the lense physically can't go to the back of the eye.
    this - theres a muscle there I think, they can only go to the sides/round the top and usually they're fairly easy to reach !

I started wearing contacts at 13, my confidence increased and it was easier to do sports without worrying that my glasses would break and go in my eye :lolwut:

They can be quite expensive, so I recommend doing a bit of both

ReputationRep:
    i use disposable daily contacts which are soft. dont wear them all the time, just for going out or playing sport ect. but i found them easier than the hard ones and the monthy ones, seen as i only wear them maybe 3/4 times a week. as for putting them in, its not too difficult, just takes a little practice.

ReputationRep:
    A definite yes from me. They are a lot more convenient.

ReputationRep:
    You hardly even notice theyre there most of the time.. but do remember to take them out when you go to bed haha

ReputationRep:

Thanks

errr... does that mean you joined tsr when you were 8?:eyeball:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 1, 2009
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.