Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

This might seem petty but it's pissed me off:

Basically, my mum divorced my Dad 6 years ago whe she went off with another man. I barely hear from her at all and haven't seen her for at least a year.

Today I bought a card for my niece (on Mums side of the family) and get home. My Dad tells me that my Mum had text him to say she was sending a card from 'all of us' (meaning me, my dad, mum and my brothers who live with me).

1st: WTF?! She's never done that before. We're not a family anymore so why are we sending cards as one? We've been sending seperate card/presents since the divorce - what's changed?

2nd: No communication to me. I'm 19, when she left I was 13 - she still sees me as a child and doesn't tell me about anything, she tells my dad. Infact I've only just discovered she's got a new mobile number.

So basically, now I have wasted about £5 (clintons card lol) on a badge and card which is useless (it has my neice's age on it so I can't use if for someone else). And she's put money in her card - I can't afford anything.

I'm just so angry, I know it seems like nothing but it's pissing me off. Am I justified in being angry? Should I just send my card :dontknow: even though it's pointless.

ReputationRep:
    Send the card - it wont be pointless and I am sure your niece will love it.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, Just send the card regardless, you'll look twice as thoughtful.

ReputationRep:
    I reckon you should send the card anyway, it's obvious when family cards are just from one of the parents and it shows more thought if the children send their own one too. I'm not sure what to suggest about your mum though!

ReputationRep:
    Yeh kids love that stuff, omg a card for my birthday! thanks this is the best present ever *wipes tears*.

Get real, it beats dissapointment for wrong optimism

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 1, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.