Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Just been reading the thread on living in London, and as most of my unis are either near London or Liverpool, I want to hear your views on which is best! Most of my friends say Liverpool is a rough place to live, but that's just from passing through or the media, so I want to hear from people who actually live there! Pros and cons?

ReputationRep:
    London is good. I like London. Only two cons I can think of: expensive and TfL.

ReputationRep:
    London

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cultivated)
    TfL? :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 99 Red Balloons)
    TfL? :o:
    Transport for London = London's transportation system .. Delays and traffic when I'm in a hurry :sad:

ReputationRep:
    Liverpool is not a rough place to live and I have no idea where such opinions come from. :facepalm:

Pros
    - General living costs are relatively cheap
    - Amazing nightlife
    - Lots of nice restaurants/bars
    - You're spoilt for choice with shopping; there's the main high street area as well as many upmarket shopping centres (Metquarter, Liverpool One, Cavern Walks)
    - Beautiful city with some magnificent architecture
    - Lots of museums/galleries.
    - Culturally diverse and famous for its music (COC 2009 :tongue:)
    - Everywhere you may need to go is within walking distance

and most importantly:
    - low crime rate for a major city

Cons
    - You may find the city compact, although I see this as a positive
    - There are some inner-city districts you should avoid (although this goes for every city and you wont be travelling to them anyway)

ReputationRep:
    Transport for London = London's transportation system .. Delays and traffic when I'm in a hurry :sad:
    Today was Horrible, they closed the district line and Hammersmith line in my area...So a journey that should have taken me half an hour took me around 1 hour and a half and i was late for my belt grading

ReputationRep:
    London's a place like no other. Liverpool is awesome, the atmosphere's great, but it doesn't compare.

Both, although I'd lean more towards Liverpool than London due to the expense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PurpleMonkeyDishwasher)
    Liverpool is not a rough place to live and I have no idea where such opinions come from. :facepalm:

Pros
    - Amazing nightlife
    - You're spoilt for choice with shopping; there's the main high street area as well as many upmarket shopping centres (Metquarter, Liverpool One, Cavern Walks)

and most importantly:

Cons
    - There are some inner-city districts you should avoid (although this goes for every city and you wont be travelling to them anyway)
    agreed!

ReputationRep:
    london, for sure - do you really want to be surrounded by horrid liverpool accents?

Pros
    - Amazing nightlife

and most importantly:

Cons
    This.

Also, the people in Liverpool are a lot friendlier than cold Londoners!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chloeee!)
    london, for sure - do you really want to be surrounded by horrid liverpool accents?
    Yes!! Omg I love them :o:

ReputationRep:
    in terms of job opportunities which one is better Liverpool or London?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FinalFlash)
    Today was Horrible, they closed the district line and Hammersmith line in my area...So a journey that should have taken me half an hour took me around 1 hour and a half and i was late for my belt grading
    I sat in all day so it's OK, as long as they don't close my Bakerloo line which they do everytime there's an event at Wembley Stadium :rant:

And come on, half hour late? Being 30 mins late is part of my/every Londoner's life :awesome: I love London.

ReputationRep:

Pros
    - Amazing nightlife

and most importantly:

Cons
    Thanks! Definitely made Liverpool seem like the better choice I like the sound of a more compact city aswell! Though I have to get into the uni first.. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MazalTov89)
    This.

Also, the people in Liverpool are a lot friendlier than cold Londoners!
    so true :yes:

ReputationRep:
    Laaaaanndddaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan

ReputationRep:
    i'd say that you are the other con.

:awesome:

ReputationRep:
    I live in London and go to Liverpool uni so have experienced both

Liverpool is an amazing city and I love it there. People saying its not safe are talking ********. Theres a big student population so lots of good club nights etc (as this is in gen uni discussion I assume you're considering this from a students pov?), great shops, great historical and touristy bits to do.

London is my home and I love living here. Nothing else compares and its impossible to try and compare the two cities in general terms. London is so much more bigger and theres a lot more to do but IMO its just not a place for students. Too big and not very student oriented at all.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.