Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zef99)
    Laaaaanndddaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan
    dun kno

ReputationRep:
    London.

ReputationRep:
    London can't be compared to any other city in the UK. Sorry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheLouisVuittonDon)
    i'd say that you are the other con.

:awesome:
    :spank:

I think you're mixing pros and cons a little.
    At least I hope you are :sad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cultivated)
    I sat in all day so it's OK, as long as they don't close my Bakerloo line which they do everytime there's an event at Wembley Stadium :rant:

And come on, half hour late? Being 30 mins late is part of my/every Londoner's life :awesome: I love London.
    I was mean't to write an a Hour late. And did i mention it was for a TaeKwonDo belt exam.

I wish i knew before today that there would be this many delays, I had to travel in to central london and then back in to East London just to get to Whitechapel :mad: And because i assumed it would be a short journey (Not knowing about the delays) I wore my Uniform under normal clothes and it was so hot and stuffy ....Times like this i wish i invested in a car.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FinalFlash)
    I was mean't to write an a Hour late. And did i mention it was for a TaeKwonDo belt exam.

I wish i knew before today that there would be this many delays, I had to travel in to central london and then back in to East London just to get to Whitechapel :mad: And because i assumed it would be a short journey (Not knowing about the delays) I wore my Uniform under normal clothes and it was so hot and stuffy ....Times like this i wish i invested in a car.
    Stop it, we're trying to persuade OP into moving to London and you're pointing out the bad sides of it already. Let her experience it herself :hmmm:

You seem to have been looking forward to this day, seeing that you wore the uniform and all .. Aw. Get a belt from H&M and pretend it's the one you should've gotten, after all it wasn't an important belt, it would've been worse if you missed your Karate belt :giggle:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cultivated)
    Stop it, we're trying to persuade OP into moving to London and you're pointing out the bad sides of it already. Let her experience it herself :hmmm:

You seem to have been looking forward to this day, seeing that you wore the uniform and all .. Aw. Get a belt from H&M and pretend it's the one you should've gotten, after all it wasn't an important belt, it would've been worse if you missed your Karate belt :giggle:
    :eek: Wait..Are you trying to hint that Karate is better than TaekwonDo?? I think you've been watching "The Karate Kid" a bit too much, last time i remebered Taekwondo is an Olympic sport and Karate is not. :yes:

And to OP this was probably the first time ever in London i had to experience very bad delays, imo London is one of the best cities on earth ...Just don't travel in to East London around Zone 3-5 :nah:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FinalFlash)
    :eek: Wait..Are you trying to hint that Karate is better than TaekwonDo?? I think you've been watching "The Karate Kid" a bit too much, last time i remebered Taekwondo is an Olympic sport and Karate is not. :yes:

And to OP this was probably the first time ever in London i had to experience very bad delays, imo London is one of the best cities on earth ...Just don't travel in to East London around Zone 3-5 :nah:
    Heh well, London does sound very tempting atm..

ReputationRep:
    I live near Liverpool, and to be honest the only thing that's rough in general life is the scouse accent!
    There definitely are rough areas of Liverpool and surrounding areas, but these are generally small (Toxteth is probably the biggest one), and you can survive perfectly well going through them during the day (I go through all the time on the bus).
    You can probably completely avoid these areas anyway.
    Aside from that, I had the same impression about London to be honest: everywhere, especially Hackney, would be a death zone. Reality?

ReputationRep:
    London is huge. What part of London are you interested in?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PurpleMonkeyDishwasher)
    Liverpool is not a rough place to live and I have no idea where such opinions come from. :facepalm:

Pros
    - General living costs are relatively cheap
    - Amazing nightlife
    - Lots of nice restaurants/bars
    - You're spoilt for choice with shopping; there's the main high street area as well as many upmarket shopping centres (Metquarter, Liverpool One, Cavern Walks)
    - Beautiful city with some magnificent architecture
    - Lots of museums/galleries.
    - Culturally diverse and famous for its music (COC 2009 :tongue:)
    - Everywhere you may need to go is within walking distance

and most importantly:
    - low crime rate for a major city

Cons
    - You may find the city compact, although I see this as a positive
    - There are some inner-city districts you should avoid (although this goes for every city and you wont be travelling to them anyway)
    to be fair most of the pros u listed london has them all and more. better nightclubs, more clubs and bars, even more beautiful city with international landmarks, the countries best museums and galleries, its second to new york for being the world's most culturally diverse city and better music (grime and dubstep). The only things that are really only applicable to liverpool are cheap living costs and things being walking distance

ReputationRep:
    In my experience people either love, or hate London. The city certainly isn't for everyone. London isn't England, its like some island off the coast - what I mean by that is its completely different to the rest of the country. The people are different, the lifestyle different, the prices different, the culture different.

Don't think of the tourist attractions as a positive, since these will not impact your life. I've lived in London for over a year now and only visited the British Museum once with my dad. Put it simply: you don't visit tourist attractions when you live in London. You can take advantage of the huge amount of shows, art galleries, and entertainment on offer to tourists though. Theres no need for me to mention many positives, you already know London has the best nightlife, best theatre, best food (& best value) in England.

A few negatives: people live very far apart, and often very far from university. This means, for the most part, that you won't be able to go home during free periods (especially after year 1) and will be limited to staying near the university. It can get pretty annoying if your schedule is bad. For instance if you have 1 lesson then 1 hour free, then 1 lesson and another hour free. If all your days are like that it can get pretty damn tiresome. Another problem with living far apart (and far from the centre) is getting home after a night out. The tubes are closed when you get out the club so your only option is nightbuses, but you quickly get used to this so its not much of an issue (and night buses are really nice!). This could make things cheaper than other cities since you will most likely have to get taxis. Living far apart makes it harder to visit friends. BASICALLY you have to plan out your day better than you would elsewhere.

Everything is more expensive. I'm shocked whenever I go home and see you can get a good meal for £6. In a lot of cases prices are double in London to what they are in the rest of the country. You get what you pay for though and quality here is often better, along with atmosphere. Which gets me to my next point, there are some AWESOME pubs & gastro pubs in London. Especially around hampstead heath. Theres nothing better than a sunny day (and we get more sunny days I might add!) on Hampstead followed by an afternoon in a gastro pub! Your not looking at that much either, maximum £10-15 for lunch & £2-3 for a pint. We're talking damn good food here, and definitely worth the money in my opinion.

Many people fall in love with London, I know I have. There is simply no where else on earth quite the same. So as you can guess I highly recommend it, although I admit I've never been to Liverpool.

Oh & expect Liverpool to be more drink orientated simply because its further north, so if your less enclined to drink you may find London better as variety is greater.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tha_Black_Shinobi)
    to be fair most of the pros u listed london has them all and more. better nightclubs, more clubs and bars, even more beautiful city with international landmarks, the countries best museums and galleries, its second to new york for being the world's most culturally diverse city and better music (grime and dubstep). The only things that are really only applicable to liverpool are cheap living costs and things being walking distance
    Have you been to both to judge that? I never said any of those features were better than counterparts in London, the OP just asked for an account on the pros and cons of each city. Obviously London is the capital city so anywhere else in the country is incomparible but some people might find it overwheming.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.