Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Lithium+water reaction hydrogen measure apparatus setup edexcel book check out watch

ReputationRep:
    This is how the apparatus is set up in edexcel as chemistry book:

My question is, how do i let the lithium into the water? I mean, if i put lithium on water before the setup of apparatus, some hydrogen will escape, and i can't put it after the apparatus is set, as there is only one hole in the bung. There is no provisions made, for example letting water in through another hole in the bung, while lithium stays beforehand in the flask. :confused: Is this apparatus correct, and if not, please suggest a better one, as this is one of the core practicals of the chemistry syllabus.
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ssadi)
    This is how the apparatus is set up in edexcel as chemistry book:

My question is, how do i let the lithium into the water? I mean, if i put lithium on water before the setup of apparatus, some hydrogen will escape, and i can't put it after the apparatus is set, as there is only one hole in the bung. There is no provisions made, for example letting water in through another hole in the bung, while lithium stays beforehand in the flask. :confused: Is this apparatus correct, and if not, please suggest a better one, as this is one of the core practicals of the chemistry syllabus.
    Thats the problem with this apparatus. You have to remove the bung, place the lithium in and replace it immediately.

Just do it quickly

ReputationRep:
    Speed of light with your reaction

...in the fume cupboard.

ReputationRep:
    Ignition tube? I think that's what it's called.

That way you can start the stopwatch as soon as the reaction starts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wizz_kid)
    (Original post by EierVonSatan)
    Ok, thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Put the Li in the flask and drip the water in via a burette. The diagram is wrong although Li does react rather slowly with H2O so could drop the Li in the water and stick the bung in quickly.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 1, 2009
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.