Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

how to put the contact lenses in? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I mostly wear glasses but when I go out somewhere formal or whatever it's really annoying not to be able to see somewhere far or wearing glasses.I have astigmatism and I am short sighted like -1.5
    I 'have tried to put them in and I tried severrall times and nothing happened,my eye keeps blinking.
    any tips?
    also is your vision better with glasses or with lenses.not like how comfortable it is cause its surely much better with lenses(doing sports etc) but how clear u see...

ReputationRep:
    Hold your eyelids apart with finger and thumb from one hand and use a finger from the other to put the contact in.

My vision is a lot better with contacts, and you don't have the blind area around the edges. They can be a lot more uncomfortable if they dry out or you get something in your eye, but if they work properly I can see perfectly well.

ReputationRep:
    use the middle finger on your non-dominant hand to hold your eyelid up
    use the middle finger of your dominant hand to pull the bottom part of your eye lid down
    use the index finger of you dominant hand to pop the lense in your eye, and look upwards while doing so.
    then blink a couple of times and the lens should have placed itself appropriately.

contact lenses have much clearer vision - not the tiniest bit of a smudge or smear on your vision

ReputationRep:
    Balance contact on index finger, pull bottom of eye area down with middle finger, stick contact in eye, don't blink, let it settle into the eye, blink. If it falls out, do it again.

ReputationRep:
    Put them in slowly to ensure they're actually on the eyeball and then remove each finger slowly. Don't blink as soon as you've done it or they will fall out.

ReputationRep:
    I tend to roll my eye about a bit once the contact is in to make sure it's stuck properly, before I blink as well.

ReputationRep:
    the first few times it'll take you ages - with me, the contact lenses kept dropping on the floor because i blinked and knocked them off my finger with my eyelid and stuff...
    persist with it, because they are help me see a lot better, but that might be because my glasses are always filthy
    soon you'll be putting them in no problem, first time

ReputationRep:
    You should've been a taught a method of how to do it at the Opticians.

But as said above, I hold my eyelid apart with my index + middle finger, and pull the bottom of my eye down with the middle finger of my other hand. Then with the contact on the index finger of this 2nd hand, and looking towards my nose, I place the contact on the outside white part of my eye. It helps if it's wet.

Then I just look horizontally outwards, so the contact moves over my eye.. Then I look do a whole 360 look around, so looking from the right, to the ceiling, to the left, then to the right again. That usually gets it in. It's pretty long compared to some people who can just put it in immediately.

ReputationRep:
    Open your eyes wide, and hold them open with your fingers. Try not to let your fingers touch your iris, just the contacts.

ReputationRep:
    THe way the optician tells you, using the opposite hand to the eye, holdin git all open looking left ergh never worked and a pain.
    After time you will develop your own technique. Practise makes perfect and your hands will learn the subtle movements needed.

What works best for me, is to put the contact lens on the middle finger of my right hand (I am right handed) make sure it is the right way up, moist with solution and a good round shape, not flattened or on an angle.

Then I use my left hand to pull the top eyelid up and press the contact to my eye, u can feel the shape of your eye through the contact and i move it till it has "stuck" then move my eye lookin left right up and down while gently releasing/pushign my eyelid down, then blink loads. Most times it stays in ^_^

Wow that sounds complicated written down but only takes me like 10seconds!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blue.China)
    You should've been a taught a method of how to do it at the Opticians.

But as said above, I hold my eyelid apart with my index + middle finger, and pull the bottom of my eye down with the middle finger of my other hand. Then with the contact on the index finger of this 2nd hand, and looking towards my nose, I place the contact on the outside white part of my eye. It helps if it's wet.

Then I just look horizontally outwards, so the contact moves over my eye.. Then I look do a whole 360 look around, so looking from the right, to the ceiling, to the left, then to the right again. That usually gets it in. It's pretty long compared to some people who can just put it in immediately
    that's the only way I could do it seriously!bcs I have tried ages ago but I didn't really want them,i just wanted to try somehting new.But now I really want to get rid of my glasses
    Do you apply this way everytime you put them in or only for the first times?
    you mean like putting the lense on the white area and then moving it arund till it reaches the right position by moving both your eye and the lense?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ashy)
    Hold your eyelids apart with finger and thumb from one hand and use a finger from the other to put the contact in.

My vision is a lot better with contacts, and you don't have the blind area around the edges. They can be a lot more uncomfortable if they dry out or you get something in your eye, but if they work properly I can see perfectly well.
    good to hear that!
    it's not exactly blind but still blurry and weird lol
    I hope I make it this time

ReputationRep:
    Make sure they're clean before you put them in - there's nothing more annoying than having a smudge on the lense! Actually I lie, tiny fibres can really irritate your eye and make your eyes water/blink loads so the lense comes out. Basically, make sure it's clean by rubbing it between your fingers (I put it on my left index and use the left thumb and right index to make sure there's nothing on it), put the lense in your palm and add the solution to make it moist - then I put put it on my right index, hold my eye open with the left index and thumb and pop it straight in.

Make sure your eyes are OPEN, not just semi open. I can't put them in if the surrounding area is wet either because my fingers slip, so it might help to keep the area around your eye dry (ie. the areas where you put your fingers).

ReputationRep:
    Just pop them in with your index finger, it's sooooo easy!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CityOfMyHeart)
    Make sure they're clean before you put them in - there's nothing more annoying than having a smudge on the lense! Actually I lie, tiny fibres can really irritate your eye and make your eyes water/blink loads so the lense comes out. Basically, make sure it's clean by rubbing it between your fingers (I put it on my left index and use the left thumb and right index to make sure there's nothing on it), put the lense in your palm and add the solution to make it moist - then I put put it on my right index, hold my eye open with the left index and thumb and pop it straight in.

Make sure your eyes are OPEN, not just semi open. I can't put them in if the surrounding area is wet either because my fingers slip, so it might help to keep the area around your eye dry (ie. the areas where you put your fingers).
    yeah that's what everyone is suggesting,the normal method but I can't directly put it in- that's the problem
    the last thing I should try is blue-china method or laser:/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zKlown)
    Just pop them in with your index finger, it's sooooo easy!
    it's not that easy to me,unfortantely:/

ReputationRep:
    I just got contacts yesterday and my optician told me to pull down my eye with my left hand and tilt my chin down so I can see as much white of my eye as possible.

Put your thumb and pointer finger of your right hand together like you're holding something small between them and balance the contact in the middle (so the contact is laying with the middle where your fingers meet overlapping your nail on either side).

Then push the lens on to the white bit of your eye (you should hear a slight suction noise) look down into the lens and then close your eye and blink a few times.

Might help if you roll your eye around when your eye is closed.

ReputationRep:
    I hope you got it from the opticians...You should've been put on trial for a week or so to see if the lenses suit you. This of course includes 'training', just do what they tell you to do.

When I had my trial, they wouldnt let me take the lenses away until they made sure I could put them in and take it out by myself.

The first time you put them in it'll probably be very uncomfortable for you, but you'll get used to it! Keep trying and you'll get the hang of it eventually. Just follow what everyone else has said ^

ReputationRep:
    It sounds disgusting, but when you get the contact close enough to the eye, the lense kinda 'sucks' onto the eye. Have a look in the mirror and watch. Once you achieve it a couple of times it gets easier =)

I was told to swap hands, so its opposite to the eye that you are trying to put the lense in. I found it easier just using the hand I write with to do both eyes -I kept a steadier hand!

Lastly, I would say if it takes several attempts and the lense still hasn't gone in, then take a break. Go and make a cup of tea or something. You end up getting so frustrated that it becomes impossible to get the lense in.

ReputationRep:
    Interesting to hear the weird and wonderful techniques practiced by other people!

It took me sooo long the first time. Now i do it without a mirror, first time every time, haven't dropped it in about 18 months.

Practice makes perfect - persist and it will get MUCH easier.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 3, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.