Turn on thread page Beta

how to put the contact lenses in? watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm considering getting contacts but I'm a bit scared I won't be able to get them in/out! This thread has given me an idea of what it's like putting them in, but how about taking them out? :s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Memento Mori)
    I'm considering getting contacts but I'm a bit scared I won't be able to get them in/out! This thread has given me an idea of what it's like putting them in, but how about taking them out? :s
    Taking them out has been quicker but more painful than putting them in for me. You have to slide the lens down to the bottom of your eye and then pince them and pull them out. Takes me ages as my fingers just keep sliding over the lens and my eyes really sting where my fingers are touching them
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Memento Mori)
    I sort of 'pinch' the lens together, effectively grabbing it and taking it out. They gave me a 'plunger' thing at the start which you just press onto the lens and it sticks, however i never used it. I used to knock it onto the floor a lot, but its easy and painless.

ReputationRep:
    I've had my lenses for 5 or 6 years now I think and I don't think I could even explain how I put them in or take them out. It just happens. Interestingly, my vision with glasses is slightly clearer than with my lenses. Odd eh?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by seagram__)
    yeah that's what everyone is suggesting,the normal method but I can't directly put it in- that's the problem
    the last thing I should try is blue-china method or laser:/
    What's the actual problem - not being able to keep your eye open long enough or that it waters or..?

ReputationRep:
    they made me do it 3 times yesterday at the opticians before they would let me actually leave.

ReputationRep:
    If you have astigmatism, like me then your vision might be slightly better with glasses, but the difference isn't that big.

ReputationRep:
    Do you apply this way everytime you put them in or only for the first times?
    you mean like putting the lense on the white area and then moving it arund till it reaches the right position by moving both your eye and the lense?
    Yeah, unfortunately I gotta do this method everytime =( having read this thread though, I think I'm gonna try attempting to put it straight on the pupil part of the eye. We'll see...
    Yeah, and you just put the lense on the white area, and move your eye around slowly, so the lense kind of settles into the right position.

Taking it out's really easy I find. (Kinda enjoyable, weirdly enough) I just look to the side + slide the lense to the white area again, and so pinching it and pulling it out's completely easy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blue.China)
    Yeah, unfortunately I gotta do this method everytime =( having read this thread though, I think I'm gonna try attempting to put it straight on the pupil part of the eye. We'll see...
    Yeah, and you just put the lense on the white area, and move your eye around slowly, so the lense kind of settles into the right position.

Taking it out's really easy I find. (Kinda enjoyable, weirdly enough) I just look to the side + slide the lense to the white area again, and so pinching it and pulling it out's completely easy.
    we think exactly the same lol!
    to put them in seems disgusting and quite scary as I think I will damage my eye or something-i know stupid me.but If i put them on hte white area it will be easier to get used to the feeling and my eye won't blink hopefully:o:
    but just wondering by putting it on the white won't the lense slip and fall down b4 moving it to the right area?

ReputationRep:
    First do some 'contact lense' exersizes. Hold your eyelids open using your middle finger with one hand and the index finger of the other hand, eyelashes to help (this can also help stop the contact lense not getting in the way)
    And then use your index finger and gently rub the white area of the eye. Do this for a few seconds every so often for a little while and then try touching the black bit of the for just one second. This can help you control your eye reflex - the eyelids close and your head moves when a foriegn object touches it.

Then once you feel quite comfortable. Get the contact lense and place on your index finger. And then just pop onto your eyes. Look up, then down, then left and right. And close your eyes and they should have clicked into place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jabed786)
    First do some 'contact lense' exersizes. Hold your eyelids open using your middle finger with one hand and the index finger of the other hand, eyelashes to help (this can also help stop the contact lense not getting in the way)
    And then use your index finger and gently rub the white area of the eye. Do this for a few seconds every so often for a little while and then try touching the black bit of the for just one second. This can help you control your eye reflex - the eyelids close and your head moves when a foriegn object touches it.

Then once you feel quite comfortable. Get the contact lense and place on your index finger. And then just pop onto your eyes. Look up, then down, then left and right. And close your eyes and they should have clicked into place.
    I should try this thanks!
    the rubbing on hte white area should be useful aswell
    I am gonna go order them tomorrow and hopefully get them on tuesday adn try them

ReputationRep:
    I should try this thanks!
    the rubbing on hte white area should be useful aswell
    I am gonna go order them tomorrow and hopefully get them on tuesday adn try them
    Good luck!
    some of my post was a tad confusing - about the "eyelashes to help", I was meant to say 'user your index finger to hold sort of push and hold the eyelashes to help.... not get in the way of the contacts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jabed786)
    Good luck!
    some of my post was a tad confusing - about the "eyelashes to help", I was meant to say 'user your index finger to hold sort of push and hold the eyelashes to help.... not get in the way of the contacts.
    no I totally understood what u said
    thanks!I will need the luck

ReputationRep:
    Not a tip sorry but I'm very proud that I managed to get my contacts in first time today :yes:

Sorry just had to tell someone :p:

ReputationRep:
    I've been using contacts for a few years now, and can get them in and out in a jiffy, no mirrors needed.
    The problem I had at the start was the fear of hurting my eyes. I used to try to slide them in and out without much success.
    Now I simply put it on my finger tip and push it onto my iris and pinch it to take it out.

ReputationRep:
    but just wondering by putting it on the white won't the lense slip and fall down b4 moving it to the right area?
    yeah, if you move your eye around fast, the contact will just fall out. So just make sure you let the contact settle for a second when you put it in, and then look around slowly, if you use that method.

I'm kinda getting impatient these days with this method though, so gonna try placing it straight onto the pupil from now on. Fingers crossed!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blue.China)
    yeah, if you move your eye around fast, the contact will just fall out. So just make sure you let the contact settle for a second when you put it in, and then look around slowly, if you use that method.

I'm kinda getting impatient these days with this method though, so gonna try placing it straight onto the pupil from now on. Fingers crossed!
    fingers crossed for both of us!
    the usual method doesn't work for me at all so yes I am deffinitely gonna try this
    yah not many people use this but at least you can put them in unlike me!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 3, 2009
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.