Turn on thread page Beta

Postgraduate funding for second masters degree watch

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know if already having a masters degree affects ones chances of receiving funding for a different masters degree? For example, will the research councils and other funding bodies much prefer to give funding to someone who has no masters degree?

(The company I work for is pushing for me to study an Msc in a subject I'm not interested in (It's work related). If it will affect getting funding for a masters degree I actually do want to do in the future, then I will decline. Otherwise it seems like a good offer, as they will give me paid leave to study it.)

ReputationRep:
    I've recently asked the same question - will get back to you if I can find out the answer, but I'm not sure how the ELQ rules impact on research council funding for people who already hold a Masters degree ...

ReputationRep:
    I know a guy who is getting decent funding to do a second Physics Masters..

ReputationRep:
    Second point- what is stopping one from simply not declaring a previous masters?
    One's sense of morality only?

Has anyone applied to do a masters who might know this?

ReputationRep:
    In previous years it was pretty much encouraged by RCs, but I honestly don't know what the effect of the ELQ is going to be and I don't think the universities do either. :s:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Chaplain)
    Second point- what is stopping one from simply not declaring a previous masters?
    One's sense of morality only?

Has anyone applied to do a masters who might know this?

From what I understand if a university finds out that you already hold a degree that you did not declare they are eligible to charge you increased fees if they do eventually find out that you hold an equivalent degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by parangami)
    From what I understand if a university finds out that you already hold a degree that you did not declare they are eligible to charge you increased fees if they do eventually find out that you hold an equivalent degree.
    That only applies to second undergraduate degrees.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OrmondDrone)
    That only applies to second undergraduate degrees.
    Postgrads are only exempt if they're on a course with regulated fees, as I understand it. Although trying to interpret the publications is an absolute mission.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.