Turn on thread page Beta

Quick question about Polish and Czech watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    In case anyone knows:

How similar are they? If I learn Czech more-or-less fluently, say, is it just a matter of spending a couple of weeks in Poland before I've got the hang of Polish as well?

I've temporarily forgotten my other question, but will post it here in due course. Something to do with the Latin-derived words in Polish.

ReputationRep:
    I speak a slavic language, and I don't think any such language is similar to any of the others to the point where you only need a few weeks to pick it up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kersme)
    I speak a slavic language, and I don't think any such language is similar to any of the others to the point where you only need a few weeks to pick it up.
    What language do you speak? AFAIK Czech and Slovak are mutually intelligible, and my Polish friends can also talk with Slovaks. And even a little with Russians.

ReputationRep:
    Serbian. I can understand slovenians and Russians usually, but I wouldn't say that I could pick either of them up easily.

ReputationRep:
    I personally don't think knowing Russian helps with Polish at all; it just causes you to speak in a hybrid of the two languages. I was forever getting shouted at in my Polish classes for blending the two

ReputationRep:
    I can only speak minimal Czech (hi, how are you? type stuff) but apparently it's the same in Polish too!

ReputationRep:
    I think they're linked, but not nearly that much. My friend's degree is German and Czech and he still spent ages learning the Polish he did for an elective module.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 6, 2009

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Thu, 1 Jan '70
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Thu, 1 Jan '70
  • Birmingham City University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 1 Jan '70
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.