Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Are there any stables which give lessons near by that are somewhat cheap and reasonably close?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toffers)
    Are there any stables which give lessons near by that are somewhat cheap and reasonably close?
    You may as well join the riding club as local stables are actually few & far between and not easy to get to without a car.

The team train at Berkshire Riding Centre (here: http://www.brc.uk.com/) Team training was £28 this academic year just gone and that's for the A and B team.

The other club members ride at Silvermere and think it's about £18 a lesson (here: http://www.silvermere-equestrian.com/)

Those prices are the club prices from last year. Might go up for 09/10. They're bloody lucky they've got a club for the 09/10 year as very few people turned up to vote in the new committee. Hopefully they'll be a bit more welcoming than they were last year!

Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    Thank you. Could you tell me anything more about the team if you know? Do you need your own horse? How do you get on the team?

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you. Could you tell me anything more about the team if you know? Do you need your own horse? How do you get on the team?

Thank you!
    Yup I can (was on the B team). Basically in the third week of term there will be team trials at BRC so those from last year (although think 2, possibly 3 of the A team from last year have now finished) can assess the new lot in and effectively just choose the best 8 riders. Within about 25mins of being a horse we'd already completed some decent flatwork movements and did a 3 jump course with the final one being a decent spread at about 3ft/1m high! You'll get to ride 2 or 3 horses as well.

Definitely don't need your own horse as the BUCS competitions are held at the team training base of the 4 unis in your league as it were. So you'll have 1 competition at "home" and 3 away. RHUL are usually against Brunel, Kent and Surrey

You have to do a dressage test (first round league level is a basic BD novice test) and then on a different horse, you'll jump a course of around 3ft/1m high. Does depend on course building though - some will be smaller, some bigger.

The B team do the same test, just a smaller sj course and probably against different unis. They didn't enter the B team last year so team training died a quick death unfortunately. Hopefully they'd have sorted it 09/10.

The teams are of a good standard at RHUL - always have been.

Loads of info here: http://www.bucs.org.uk/page.asp?sect...7s+Information

ReputationRep:
    Wow, sounds good! Thanks for all the info. Its a shame they didn't enter the B team into any events.

After reading all the stuff you have to do, I'll probably be too nervous to try out lol!

ReputationRep:
    Wow, sounds good! Thanks for all the info. Its a shame they didn't enter the B team into any events
    Yeah, the SU cocked up big time so hopefully words were said!

After reading all the stuff you have to do, I'll probably be too nervous to try out lol!
    Deffo try out - one of the best things I ever did

ReputationRep:
    I do really want to try out, but I don't have all the show jackets and all that stuff - I wouldn't want to buy it to try out and then not make the team lol

Do they give you time to learn the test or does someone call it out for you?

ReputationRep:
    Definitely give it a go, I loved the couple of times I went until I ran out of money

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shortarse)
    Definitely give it a go, I loved the couple of times I went until I ran out of money
    Is it really expensive then?

ReputationRep:
    It's considerably cheaper than going it alone to a riding school in this area (my local one costs upwards of £30 an hour, and I'm about half an hour away from Holloway), £20-ish is pretty good. In horse riding terms that is, it's an expensive thing to do. I couldn't afford it largely because I was rubbish at managing my money, went out a fair bit and was quite involved in another society that also wanted my money

ReputationRep:
    According to "Cruel Intentions 2", Simply practicing your riding skills on a stationary horse in the middle of a New York park is enough to make a young lady orgasm...

Just thought you might find that useful incase any of you plan on travelling to the big apple anytime

ReputationRep:
    I do really want to try out, but I don't have all the show jackets and all that stuff - I wouldn't want to buy it to try out and then not make the team lol

Do they give you time to learn the test or does someone call it out for you?
    Just wait then - it's only 4 comps a year - you'll probably be able to borrow from someone.

You'll have months to learn the test

Team training will seem expensive at £28 odd a week (might go up for 09/10) but don't worry about it until you know whether you actually take it up. They had so many people sign up at Freshers never to be seen again

ReputationRep:
    hate to bring this up again, apologies but Ive applied for 2010 entry and am wondering... how ridiculous is it to consider bringing one of my four horses over? I compete internationally and riding is something I want to continue doing while at Uni.. i'm just wondering how far the stables are from the Uni and realistically how much time a week there is to get down there?

Is there a team per say that RHUL is associated with? and is there opportunity for regualar competition?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andrea (:)
    hate to bring this up again, apologies but Ive applied for 2010 entry and am wondering... how ridiculous is it to consider bringing one of my four horses over? I compete internationally and riding is something I want to continue doing while at Uni.. i'm just wondering how far the stables are from the Uni and realistically how much time a week there is to get down there?

Is there a team per say that RHUL is associated with? and is there opportunity for regualar competition?
    Egham really isn't a horsey area (nearest stables would be either where the club and team ride respectively or the other side of Windsor so you'd need a car as well). And public transport doesn't really help matters. Also Egham and the surrounding area isn't overly full of competitions either - you'd have to travel too. The only one on the doorstep would be the dressage and show jumping at local level in the park itself (Smiths Lawns) or the British Eventing (BE) course which is affiliated and expensive. It's a pre-novice and novice course though. Nothing smaller or bigger. But that all depends on where you kept your horse.

If you do get onto the team, you wouldn't be able to compete on your own horse anyway because part of the competition test is to get the best tune out of a horse you don't know through a dressage test and over a show jumping course.

The club rides once a week - team members ride at the same time just at a different yard and they still only have an A team (the SU cocked up entries again this year for a B team into the national university competitions). And you'd only ride once a week unless you wanted more lessons and could get to where the team rides yourself.

ReputationRep:
    awh no. hmm at least the team will mean some bit of riding then...

No eventing for my 4 they're all showjumpers, 1.30 level and up so it'd be a waste to bring them over.

As long as theres a little bit of riding ill just try for teams thanks so much for your help xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andrea (:)
    awh no. hmm at least the team will mean some bit of riding then...

No eventing for my 4 they're all showjumpers, 1.30 level and up so it'd be a waste to bring them over.

As long as theres a little bit of riding ill just try for teams thanks so much for your help xx
    Yeah, you'd really need to go to a uni in a decent horsey area that has numerous show jumping (affiliated) competitions and Egham really isn't one of them.

Be aware though that getting on the team is about getting the most out of a horse in a short space of time - it's the riding school riders that tend to do the best funnily enough. But also having competition experience helps matters too. I know when I was at RHUL last year, both the A ad B teams were a mix of those with their own horses and those from riding schools. Sadly the B team didn't get to compete and they're not this year either (doubt they even did a trial for the B team). Saying that, RHUL are lucky to still have their riding club from what I heard as only 5 people voted for the new committee.

ReputationRep:
    dw im used to that. final leg of the championships here we switch horses and go straight into the ring and take them over 1.25, i ride different horses for various owners all the time.

but thanks, as long as i know theres some option of riding

ReputationRep:
    I might be going to Royal Holloway in September and I definitely want to try out for the team!!

However...

I have my own horse at the moment and have done some dressage tests and jumping in the past but due to his nerves (and a little of mine now I'm out of practise) I am panicking about the try outs.

Do we have to learn Dressage tests before we go for the try outs? Also I'm not sure about the jumping as my horse is probably 10x worse at it due to his tendency to run out at the last minute which puts me off.

Maybe I need to ride some other horses more before I go? :confused:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.