Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

First Holiday Alone: Advice please..... Iceland Watch

ReputationRep:
    OK, so the deal is that I've decided that for my 18th Birthday present I want tickets to Iceland in January...the second week of the Christmas holidays...and then I'll pay for the Accommodation etc.

So does anyone have any advice for traveling alone etc. and if anyone has happened to have visited Iceland any things to do would be great!!

ReputationRep:
    this thread is relevant to my interests

ReputationRep:
    Going to iceland at Christmas? It will be dark all the time.

I went in October 2006 and it was amazing, but i would advise another time of year. I stayed in two places. The youth hostel in Reykjavik and some hotel place in Vik, both were fine.

Places you must go to are the Blue Lagoon, Gulfoss, Skogafoss, Geyser and perhaps up Vatnijokull (sp)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeeDub)

I went in October 2006 and it was amazing, but i would advise another time of year. I stayed in two places. The youth hostel in Reykjavik and some hotel place in Vik, both were fine.

Places you must go to are the Blue Lagoon, Gulfoss, Skogafoss, Geyser and perhaps up Vatnijokull (sp)
    I did pretty much all of that, blue lagoon is a must though and the waterfalls are spectular, If you get the chance going up a glacier is also an amazing experience.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeeDub)

Places you must go to are the Blue Lagoon, Gulfoss, Skogafoss and perhaps up Vatnijokull (sp)

OMG I know the Blue Lagoon will be amazing and I want to go to the new national park... it's home to Europe's largest glacier!! Oh and gawd I have to good dog sledging and hopefully see the aurora borealis.

You see, the main reason I want to go to Iceland is that I'm fascinated by geography, in particular glaciation and quaternary environmental change and Iceland provides an amazing opportunity to see glaciers and the fact that Iceland sits on a lava flume is even more exciting!! BTW in case you haven't noticed I a Geography super nerd!! lol!! But thanks.

p.s. in January I should have an average of 4 hours daylight which I'm fine with... lol

Oh and one more question... I know, well I think I know, that most Icelandic people speak English very well... is that true??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Uel369)
    Oh and one more question... I know, well I think I know, that most Icelandic people speak English very well... is that true??
    Yes they do. I had an interesting conversation with a guy in a steam room.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.