Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is there too many foreign students for our own good? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamjar)
    Britain is in dire economic straits, and so it likely that the government will reduce financial support to universities as one of the many options to reduce the bulging debt burden. This means that universities will increase the number of non-EU foreign fee paying students in order to compensate. In addition, it is likely the universities will reduce the number of available places overall. Also more EU applicants (particularly from former communist countries) will be competing for those scarcer places. Surely this can not be right? Why should well deserving home students be denied an educational opportunity at university?:mad:
    are you sure you belong to the category of "well deserving home students" ? I may not be British, but I can distinguish between is and are. Remember, is takes the singular, are takes the plural...:yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dynamitri)
    What's your ******* problem, mate? We all live in the EU, noone forces you to study here, you can as well get the **** off to Australia, Canada, US or wherever you find an English uni. I speak several languages fluently (Polish, Russian, Ukrainian, German, English) and decided to study here. I like the country, I can study here. We're all in the EU, get over with it and stop blaming foreigners for the economic situation. You sound like a BNP-supporter or something, I feel dirty answering to you, you vile racist and über-xenophobic pig.
    Thats easy for you to say. I dont see swarms of british students taking up places in poland, slovakia etc.

British students should always come first. Not some immigrant who just steed off the plane. This is OUR country NOT yours.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WhereIsMyMind)
    So someone who feels British students should be put first is now a BNP supporter?
    It probably is a stereotype but one that is easy to draw conclusions from. It depends what you see universities' roles are and there are a variety of ideas to this. In some American universities, local and national students may well be preferred to students abroad even if they are judged to be more superior academically. This does not happen too much in Britain, with only Scottish universities who wish to increase student participation from the local area, regardless of skin colour and nationality. I would be happy if London universities did the same, to add to regional identities as a whole.

You know, I kind of felt it slightly amusing that a large contingent on here believe that universities are essentially a passport to work. That is, you only go there for financial advancement in the job industry after graduation and that subjects like classics are 'useless' because you don't end up being an investment banker by studying one of 'those' subjects, you 'should' study economics, they say and contribute more to society. With that in mind, how do non-British based students do this then? Not saying I believe in this view but going by the reactions when these two ideas are mentioned I can't help feeling that there are those who believe in both views which is a bit of a dichotomy really.

ReputationRep:
    I don't have a problem with EU students in our universitys, I just think that maybe there should be a cap and that foreign places should be competed for seperately. Yes people in Britain can go to EU Universities, but the facts show that hardly anyone does and as a result some people who should be able to, can't get into universities in their own country. For example 75% of LSE students are from overseas ( yes I know this is a particularly international university) and therefore hardly any british students get to go to such a good university. I have no agenda based on race before I get acused of voting BNP, I just think if we do allow this many foreign students we should make an effort to make sure british students don't lose out because of it.

ReputationRep:
    What's wrong with former communist countries? I can't help it if my country was occupied once (before I was even born) And it's an EU rule that everyone from the EU has to be given the same chance at HE as home students. Here university courses are free (except for the ones which are not taught in Hungarian), the government pays all tuition fees for the students. So if a student from the EU would come here and wish to enroll, they would be welcome and wouldn't need to pay a penny for tuition fees. It is an entirely different question that more people speak English as a second language than Hungarian, so the UK gets more foreign students.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamjar)
    Britain is in dire economic straits, and so it likely that the government will reduce financial support to universities as one of the many options to reduce the bulging debt burden. This means that universities will increase the number of non-EU foreign fee paying students in order to compensate. In addition, it is likely the universities will reduce the number of available places overall. Also more EU applicants (particularly from former communist countries) will be competing for those scarcer places. Surely this can not be right? Why should well deserving home students be denied an educational opportunity at university?:mad:
    Well since it should be "are there too many ..." prehaps your education has been a victim of this

foreign students subsidise unis for the rest of us. Nobody is being denied a place at uni from foriegn competition,

furthermore, there are easily enough Uni places for everyone who wants to go, just some of them aren't at as respected universities. If everyone got to go where they wanted automatically the system would collapse as 'good' Unis maintain their reputation thus the value of degrees originating from there by being selective with taking in only the best students and if they are from other countries so what? If a Uni has the best from around the world insead of the best from one tiny island then their reputation thus their degrees are world class instead of the best on a tiny island

This is the sort of scapegoat zenophobia that emerges in times of economic strife or when people don't get what they want. It is up to uni's who they accept, if they want a forign student more than you deal with it, and I am speaking as someone rejected from my first two chioces of Uni.

Finally I wouldn't be surprised if the government increased University expenditure as their current plan appears to be: keep unemployment low by making sure the least amount of people are looking for jobs, reduce young unemployed by keeping them at uni for as long as possible (the graduate gap year thing seems to fit this hypothesis)

anyway rant over, sorry, but all i hear from daily mail reading parents and friends is racist zenophobic sh*t and it drives me mental so occaisionally explode (see above) apologies for inaccuracies etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crusading)
    Thats easy for you to say. I dont see swarms of british students taking up places in poland, slovakia etc.

British students should always come first. Not some immigrant who just steed off the plane. This is OUR country NOT yours.
    If you wanna come first mate, study your arse out and get the grades to come first. British unis are better than the rest of the european ones, all students can go to whichever uni they want, if they get the grades and qualifications needed, hence the (good) british unis will attract the best students. If you can't live with that, tough.

(Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    It probably is a stereotype but one that is easy to draw conclusions from. It depends what you see universities' roles are and there are a variety of ideas to this. In some American universities, local and national students may well be preferred to students abroad even if they are judged to be more superior academically. This does not happen too much in Britain, with only Scottish universities who wish to increase student participation from the local area, regardless of skin colour and nationality. I would be happy if London universities did the same, to add to regional identities as a whole.
    I accept that those foreign students taking places in the likes of LSE are incredibly academically able. However, I therefore feel that one not-as academically able British individual has therefore been raped of their place in such institute. I guess through no fault of their own; the pre-U educational systems are different in say China than the UK.

(Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    You know, I kind of felt it slightly amusing that a large contingent on here believe that universities are essentially a passport to work. That is, you only go there for financial advancement in the job industry after graduation and that subjects like classics are 'useless' because you don't end up being an investment banker by studying one of 'those' subjects, you 'should' study economics, they say and contribute more to society. With that in mind, how do non-British based students do this then? Not saying I believe in this view but going by the reactions when these two ideas are mentioned I can't help feeling that there are those who believe in both views which is a bit of a dichotomy really.
    I guess some individuals don't accept the idea, that University education has more than one sole purpose (to advance in employment).

ReputationRep:
    Frankly,
    There are 325 higher education institutions in the UK. (UCAS).
    Competition might be high, but the playing field is wide enough to hold all.

We "foreigners" face roughly the same situation when British expats come to our countries (Usually in the name of oil), and take up the best-salaried jobs, leaving the locals to fight (often unsuccessfully) for the few left. At least the playing field is wide in the UK. Now, back to my dissertation....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wootwootwoot)
    I don't have a problem with EU students in our universitys, I just think that maybe there should be a cap and that foreign places should be competed for seperately. Yes people in Britain can go to EU Universities, but the facts show that hardly anyone does and as a result some people who should be able to, can't get into universities in their own country. For example 75% of LSE students are from overseas ( yes I know this is a particularly international university) and therefore hardly any british students get to go to such a good university. I have no agenda based on race before I get acused of voting BNP, I just think if we do allow this many foreign students we should make an effort to make sure british students don't lose out because of it.
    sorry, but your argument doesn't make sense. Good unis need good students to remain good. Do you think Oxford will take someone just because they are British ? No, they'll get the best one. It's not a national matter, it's academics, it's the future's scientists, political leaders....do you think the fact that you have a british passport will matter more than brains ?

(Original post by Xristina)
    If you wanna come first mate, study your arse out and get the grades to come first. British unis are better than the rest of the european ones, all students can go to whichever uni they want, if they get the grades and qualifications needed, hence the (good) british unis will attract the best students. If you can't live with that, tough.
    Wouldn't it be therefore in your (and your countries) best interests to study at home, and therefore build upon your own universities?

ReputationRep:
    Yes!! Down with the Foreign Students :awesome: ......Oh **** I'm a foreigner *steps back quitely*

sorry, but your argument doesn't make sense. Good unis need good students to remain good. Do you think Oxford will take someone just because they are British ? No, they'll get the best one. It's not a national matter, it's academics, it's the future's scientists, political leaders....do you think the fact that you have a british passport will matter more than brains ?
    I highly doubt Oxfords reputation would slip if it were to stop accepting non-British students.

ReputationRep:
    Wouldn't it be therefore in your (and your countries) best interests to study at home, and therefore build upon your own universities?
    no, because we won't get the same level of education. What would be for the country's best interest would be for us to study in the UK, and THEN go back and try to improve the situation. You can't improve an academic institution as a student, really. If you are good, you'll just get disillusioned with your surroundings.

ReputationRep:
    There's a huge ******* irony in that your grasp of English in the title is so incredibly poor.

no, because we won't get the same level of education. What would be for the country's best interest would be for us to study in the UK, and THEN go back and try to improve the situation. You can't improve an academic institution as a student, really. If you are good, you'll just get disillusioned with your surroundings.
    It is therefore your countries shortcomings, which have led to the poor level of education.

It would be in your countries best interests if you studied at home, pumping more money back into your establishments so they could invest?

ReputationRep:
    I accept that those foreign students taking places in the likes of LSE are incredibly academically able. However, I therefore feel that one not-as academically able British individual has therefore been raped of their place in such institute. I guess through no fault of their own; the pre-U educational systems are different in say China than the UK.
    True but there was a thread which castigated Strathclyde or Glasgow Caledonian with their seemingly low offers but that's because some universities have a bigger role in serving the local residents to provide the city and the surroundings with graduates for jobs. You will also find people judge merit based on solely on the qualifications achieved so far, and some will treat others with disdain if they do not have AAA at 'A' level. This is only half the picture as quite a few classmates of mine haven't done too well this year despite a pretty flawless record so far. People think AAA = 1st class, BBB = 3rd or whatever. Doesn't work like that.

I guess some individuals don't accept the idea, that University education has more than one sole purpose (to advance in employment).
    It certainly does but given the grade and prestige obsessed contingent on here who themselves think university is only for job prospects, some of them do think that you also have to be of a certain calibre in order to justify your place at university regardless of pre-university education and other purposes of university. You will find some people on here who think they could get into HYPSM quite easily but there's no stopping American universities preferring less able students but live in America.

ReputationRep:
    It is therefore your countries shortcomings, which have led to the poor level of education.

It would be in your countries best interests if you studied at home, pumping more money back into your establishments so they could invest?
    In my country we don't pay for education, unis are free, but even if we had to pay, no I wouldn't give my money to a crappy uni when I could go to a better one...who would do that ?? It's not about how much you love your country, it's about where you 'll get the best education.

ReputationRep:
    I highly doubt Oxfords reputation would slip if it were to stop accepting non-British students.
    I believe the world's strongest minds should have the best education, no matter where they come from. If british students are good enough to get all the places offered, then they should do it. But if some prove to be less adequate for the position in comparison to a non british student, then the later should take the place. Fair and square.

ReputationRep:
    You must bear in mind that our student loans are on offer to all of these foreign students(in the EU).
    A huge amount of money is lost from our economy in this way- when the student returns to their homeland, there is no way for our government to get the money back.

I personally think it's completely ridiculous to allow 'student' visas and to allow so many of our British places to go to foreigners, but I'd prefer to not bring to much politics into this.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.