Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is there too many foreign students for our own good? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4G_dollars)
    Read properly. The OP asked why should foreign students be given precedence over home students for university places? He talks about the amount of money being paid by both sets of students. It has nothing to do with the BNP ir racism. Stop getting your knickers in a twist.
    And when did I say it had anything to do with the BNP or racism?

Jeez... read this thread again. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Miss A*)
    'ARE there too many foreign students for our own good'....jeez..grammar...
    Quoted for truth. :cool:
    Refuse to read a thread by a presumably OTT pro-Britain author who can't even type in English. Maybe some of these foreigners can teach you your own language?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WhereIsMyMind)
    So someone who feels British students should be put first is now a BNP supporter? :confused:
    Well said. It is so sad these days that the nationals of this country can no longer expect to be treated as such without being labelled a racist/xenophobe/BNP supporter.

Its got to the stage now that something is automatically branded racist if there is no reference to foreigners/immigrants. eg 10 places in a class available, 20 people frmo all walks apply. the 10 that get in are all english white ONLY because they were the most able. yet the absence of a foreign national will automatically cause the selection process to be branded racist.

All this 'equal rights' s h i t has left the common english people high and dry while any and every other F u c k e r gets the lot. And anyone who dares to say speak out about this is branded racist. what about the rights of the home nationals? :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WhereIsMyMind)
    I'm not going to use the word 'unfair', as life isn't fair. However, when we get to cases like that, we're comparing educational standards. Unfortunately, some (UK) institutes will limit students to ~4 A Levels. I guess you could say that if one was determined, you could enter as a private candidate and also do ~23 A Levels.

However, if Oxfords offer is going to be AAA then it makes sense for the candidate to focus on three solid A Levels (at 'A').

It is this (IMO) lower educational standards in some institutes in the UK which then limits the candidates opportunities abroad. If someone from Pakistan was to apply to Cambridge, their 23 A Levels have potentially bagged them a place. However, if this British candidate was to apply in Pakistan, their 'measly' 3 A Levels will most certainly get them nowhere. I don't think the Pakistani institute will restrict a certain %age of places from their native candidates to allow foreign students. :mad:

Unless a level playing field exists, it's always going to be incredibly difficult for a British candidate to apply abroad, and will only get easier for the foreign candidate to apply in Britain. Is that the candidates fault? It's politics!
    Are you suggesting that getting 6/7 As is not as good as 3 'focused' As?:confused:

I do understand the point you raise with your 3rd paragraph, but be realistic, how many students from the UK actually want to study in Pakistan (as you have suggested) ?

(Original post by Flying Cookie)
    if they're smart enough (often smarter) to get into our unis
    ^Agreed

(Original post by Match25)
    Are you suggesting that getting 6/7 As is not as good as 3 'focused' As?:confused:

I do understand the point you raise with your 3rd paragraph, but be realistic, how many students from the UK actually want to study in Pakistan (as you have suggested) ?
    I was making reference to the individual you mentioned (the lad from Pakistan), he had a rather long list of subjects, however, most weren't really the conventional sort - I'm sure he had three of the same subject or something. :o:

I guess until a level playing field exists, it's not only undesirable for one to study in Pakistan, but it simply isn't viable.

I'm all for the shared resources, however, it would seem Britain has the most to offer; and ultimately be walked all over (I guess we're back to the loans fiasco). It's also the British candidate that looses out too. It's not as if there is a Pakistan Oxford equivalent that they could apply to and therefore they've lost out too.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to disappoint you but I'm here to stay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dynamitri)
    What's your ******* problem, mate? We all live in the EU, noone forces you to study here, you can as well get the **** off to Australia, Canada, US or wherever you find an English uni. I speak several languages fluently (Polish, Russian, Ukrainian, German, English) and decided to study here. I like the country, I can study here. We're all in the EU, get over with it and stop blaming foreigners for the economic situation. You sound like a BNP-supporter or something, I feel dirty answering to you, you vile racist and über-xenophobic pig.
    This is the rant of an anarchist thug............unter mensch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamjar)
    This is the rant of an anarchist thug............unter mensch
    Verfickter Kackenfresser

ReputationRep:
    Britain is in dire economic straits, and so it likely that the government will reduce financial support to universities as one of the many options to reduce the bulging debt burden. This means that universities will increase the number of non-EU foreign fee paying students in order to compensate. In addition, it is likely the universities will reduce the number of available places overall. Also more EU applicants (particularly from former communist countries) will be competing for those scarcer places. Surely this can not be right? Why should well deserving home students be denied an educational opportunity at university?:mad:
    No, there is too many home students who lack SPAG. (spelling/punct/grammar)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJkG.1)
    And when did I say it had anything to do with the BNP or racism?

Jeez... read this thread again. :yes:
    Why you complaining for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stellatommo20)
    Well said. It is so sad these days that the nationals of this country can no longer expect to be treated as such without being labelled a racist/xenophobe/BNP supporter.

Its got to the stage now that something is automatically branded racist if there is no reference to foreigners/immigrants. eg 10 places in a class available, 20 people frmo all walks apply. the 10 that get in are all english white ONLY because they were the most able. yet the absence of a foreign national will automatically cause the selection process to be branded racist.

All this 'equal rights' s h i t has left the common english people high and dry while any and every other F u c k e r gets the lot. And anyone who dares to say speak out about this is branded racist. what about the rights of the home nationals? :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
    agreed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by No Future)
    No, there is too many home students who lack SPAG. (spelling/punct/grammar)
    SPAG means St Andrews prostitute at goal surely?:eek3:

ReputationRep:
    I have been reading through this thread.

The main problem is uni funding, either have more foreign students or more government funding. Government funding is going to be cut so it looks like more foreign students.

At the end of the day I would rather have more foreign students than pay more fees.

I frankly don't give a damn if a person is denied a place at uni because a foreign student is better or will give the uni more money. At the end of the day I got a offer and I'm probably going to make it and so it doesn't really effect me. Who would know actually studying and not sitting around talking would pay off?

As most of the hardworking students in the college I went to were foreign, funny as the further maths class I was in didn't have one white person in it and if it did it they were eastern european. Lazy people.

ReputationRep:
    I can't be asked reading any of this to be blunt all I wana say is that intentional students earn the country money (they pay to be here, spend in UK shops etc.)

ReputationRep:
    Anyone have any plans for invading Poland ? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    You seem to be either mentally challenged or just trolling. I referred to EU citizens from Poland, knowing Polish EU citizen's situation best, from my own experience and from the experience of my compatriots. I can't guarantee how students from other EU-countries are, but I certainly know that most of the Polish people stay in the UK and pay back their loans, along with taxes for your government, improving your economy and profiting everyone here, including YOU. Don't see where the problem is?

Those who go back to Poland don't pay back their loans, true - for the reasons stated above, it's quite a high salary because we don't have euro yet and the national currency is pretty weak. Still, I know that it's a tiny percentage of those who actually go back - there's no reason to do this, as you'd still get crappy monies there, even with a degree from a foreign country, in most of the cases - so people are much better off staying here and working here for reasonable wages and paying back loans than down there, and not paying the loan back... But getting ****** money at the same time.

Dude, here's the newsflash: Poland is in the EU and its citizens are at the same time EU citizens, entitled to work in most of the EU-member states, studying in EU-member states, profiting from the EU-membership in a variety of ways. Tuition fee loans in the UK included.

In other news: the world is round, Titanic sinks, etc. etc.
    You clearly have a bone to pick about Poland/Polish people.
    And yet again you go off on another tangent.

Once again- I really don't care about Polish wages, about your membership of the EU, your currency or whatever.

What I do care is that our Student loans are not being paid back. End of.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FatboyGinger)
    What I do care is that our Student loans are not being paid back
    Nobody else cares about something that's non-existent, though. You're picking holes in stuff, that's it. :yep:

Nobody else cares about something that's non-existent, though. You're picking holes in stuff, that's it. :yep:
    Of course you wouldn't care! You're not left picking up the pieces!? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, I think racism would alleviate if white British people saw other white Brits in important positions abroad? Theres such an importance here on the condition of ethnic minorities, but we don't see people struggling for white minorities abroad?

ReputationRep:
    Britain is in dire economic straits, and so it likely that the government will reduce financial support to universities as one of the many options to reduce the bulging debt burden. This means that universities will increase the number of non-EU foreign fee paying students in order to compensate. In addition, it is likely the universities will reduce the number of available places overall. Also more EU applicants (particularly from former communist countries) will be competing for those scarcer places. Surely this can not be right? Why should well deserving home students be denied an educational opportunity at university?
    You do realise that you seem to misunderstand the situation on two points:

a) If places for home students goes down, it will also go down for EU students - they both pay the same fees.

b) If they increase the number of places for international places then that means the majority of institutions will have more money available to them (international students pay up to three times as much in fees as home and EU students do.)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.