Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is there too many foreign students for our own good? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dynamitri)
    Leave the European Union, then.
    We'd all love to, believe me.

British students should have priority over any foreigners - their parents don't pay taxes for nothing you know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LurkerintheDark)
    We'd all love to, believe me.

British students should have priority over any foreigners - their parents don't pay taxes for nothing you know.
    I doubt you 'd all love to. I 've spoken to many British people who believe the advantage of free traveling inside the EU it such a big advantage that can't be measured. People who remember the pre EU situation say it was such a hassle to travel that you would just not venture it.
    Also, their parents may not be paying taxes, but they are giving money into the country. Living costs on their own are high, and this money goes directly from another country to Britain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LurkerintheDark)
    The problem is, I pay taxes here, too. So why shouldn't I be entitled to tuition fee loans?

Fair play - if someone has not been living here, is planning to come here just to study and has no plans of working during the university course whatsoever, and then plans on coming back to the mother country immediately after graduation, I can see your point. I also can agree that to a certain extent this is wrong and those people shouldn't be given loans, or at least should be somehow forced to repay it, or at least to undertake work while at uni, so as to provide the Treasury with some money from taxes (I understand that StudentFinance does also belong to the government? :confused:). Not paying back the loan is wrong, but I can see no reason as to why should people like me not be entitled to tuition fee loans, as we still have to work (we're not eligible for maintenance loan, so unless someone is from a well-off family or just has been saving for most of his or her life, we have to work to support ourselves) and we pay the taxes, profiting everyone around here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dynamitri)
    The problem is, I pay taxes here, too. So why shouldn't I be entitled to tuition fee loans?

Fair play - if someone has not been living here, is planning to come here just to study and has no plans of working during the university course whatsoever, and then plans on coming back to the mother country immediately after graduation, I can see your point. I also can agree that to a certain extent this is wrong and those people shouldn't be given loans, or at least should be somehow forced to repay it, or at least to undertake work while at uni, so as to provide the Treasury with some money from taxes (I understand that StudentFinance does also belong to the government? :confused:). Not paying back the loan is wrong, but I can see no reason as to why should people like me not be entitled to tuition fee loans, as we still have to work (we're not eligible for maintenance loan, so unless someone is from a well-off family or just has been saving for most of his or her life, we have to work to support ourselves) and we pay the taxes, profiting everyone around here.

The pittance amount of tax you pay does NOT cover your tuition fees (along with all the other public services and resources you consume).

I am a student and I have been paying tax every moment of my life in britain as soon as I turned 16, so did my parents and their parents. I should have priority over you, end of story.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crusading)
    I am a student and I have been paying tax every moment of my life in britain as soon as I turned 16
    The pittance amount of tax you've paid in that one month since you've turned 16 is in no way compared to the amount I've paid during my two years living here and working full-time for a wage higher than some of the graduates do, thanks to my own skills - IT & journalism doesn't pay that bad.

What, you're not 16? Well, judging by what you say, you really do sound like. :rolleyes:

You're entertaining to watch - foaming at the mouth, hitting out, yet blissfully unaware of that there is nothing that can be done. At least at the moment being.

As it has been stated - you lot would be better off uniting and making the UK leave the EU. I'm sure that whole of the British community will applaud and lap up. :rolleyes:

Oh no, they won't, but at least that would have been one hell of a frenzy entertaining to watch.

I should have priority over you
    But you do not. We're all equal here. Now swallow that bitter pill of equality and get over it.

end of story.
    Now, yes. :yep:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    If they're here and they're going to work bloody hard for the privilege then they are welcome here. If the natives are too lazy or drunk to show up to lectures and get good grades then it's about high time more of them come in to show us how it's done. More foreign students also shows us how good our academic institutions are as well. I like having foreign students in this country.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    If they're here and they're going to work bloody hard for the privilege then they are welcome here. If the natives are too lazy or drunk to show up to lectures and get good grades then it's about high time more of them come in to show us how it's done. More foreign students also shows us how good our academic institutions are as well. I like having foreign students in this country.
    I do agree with you to a certain extent. At my college this year almost 3/4 of the people were "non-british".

I soon realised that this is because THEY are the ones who want to learn/study etc, and the "natives" simply dont want it. (Actually the building classes were full of "native" lobotomised gibbons - buts thats another story for another day.)

I do not begrudge anyone anything, I am not a racist, I am not a biggot, and I certainly dont agree with any fascist BNP type political views.

I do however think it is a shame that this country has lost its sense of identity, becoming a mixture of sorts, of everything in the world BARRE ENGLISH. And I do not beleive it is wrong - morally, racially or ethically, - to stand up and say that there are too many "foreigners" in this country, putting so much strain on the system that the "native" people lose out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stellatommo20)
    I do agree with you to a certain extent. At my college this year almost 3/4 of the people were "non-british".

I soon realised that this is because THEY are the ones who want to learn/study etc, and the "natives" simply dont want it. (Actually the building classes were full of "native" lobotomised gibbons - buts thats another story for another day.)

I do not begrudge anyone anything, I am not a racist, I am not a biggot, and I certainly dont agree with any fascist BNP type political views.

I do however think it is a shame that this country has lost its sense of identity, becoming a mixture of sorts, of everything in the world BARRE ENGLISH. And I do not beleive it is wrong - morally, racially or ethically, - to stand up and say that there are too many "foreigners" in this country, putting so much strain on the system that the "native" people lose out.
    No one's really saying that here. What we're arguing against is the lazy attitude many of the local students seem to take. The majority of the foreign students who come to the UK to study are paying higher fees than EU and UK students and as a result of this know what they'll lose out if they don't achieve to their potential.

The work ethic in schools in the UK is also quite poor. Not enough emphasis seems to be given on learning and studying hard. If you compare this to schools in India, China or even in Switzerland and France, you'll notice that examinations tend to include a lot more subjects as well as the preparation required for them is tougher.

I'm not pointing fingers here as I don't know who is the blame, but to say that international students should be 'restricted' from coming to the UK to study is quite ridiculous. If the Universities are to lower their requirements or even standards to meet that of the locals then the UK will, in a few years time, no longer be the academic hot spot that it is at the moment.

Let's use the LSE as an example. They have a very international student body and look at their reputation - they are well known in every corner of the world! Who do you think benefits from that? Well, obviously the University, but that also means that companies and institutions are willing to put more funding into it, naturally increasing the research done. I personally feel more Universities in the UK need to follow LSE's example as not only is it helping the economy (international students coming in mean more money spent) but it also improves the standard of the education being provided.

ReputationRep:
    And I do beleive that native students, within reason, should be given priority. ever heard the phrase ' charity begins at home? '

When you was little and your would mum cook dinner would she give it to you, or to your friend next door? Isnt your mum supposed to look after YOU? and your friend's mum look after your friend? how would you feel if your mother left you starving while she fed all your friends? would you hate your friend for it, or be angry at your mother for it? regardless of if your friend is a nice person or not, surely YOU are the one who should be cared for by your mother, not your friend.

This is exactly analogous to this country's situation at the moment. the government is helping everyone else but NOT THEIR OWN PEOPLE. It has nothing to do with being racist or not liking foreign people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WokSz)
    No one's really saying that here. What we're arguing against is the lazy attitude many of the local students seem to take. The majority of the foreign students who come to the UK to study are paying higher fees than EU and UK students and as a result of this know what they'll lose out if they don't achieve to their potential.

The work ethic in schools in the UK is also quite poor. Not enough emphasis seems to be given on learning and studying hard. If you compare this to schools in India, China or even in Switzerland and France, you'll notice that examinations tend to include a lot more subjects as well as the preparation required for them is tougher.

I'm not pointing fingers here as I don't know who is the blame, but to say that international students should be 'restricted' from coming to the UK to study is quite ridiculous. If the Universities are to lower their requirements or even standards to meet that of the locals then the UK will, in a few years time, no longer be the academic hot spot that it is at the moment.

Let's use the LSE as an example. They have a very international student body and look at their reputation - they are well known in every corner of the world! Who do you think benefits from that? Well, obviously the University, but that also means that companies and institutions are willing to put more funding into it, naturally increasing the research done. I personally feel more Universities in the UK need to follow LSE's example as not only is it helping the economy (international students coming in mean more money spent) but it also improves the standard of the education being provided.

again i agree with you no some points. the work ethic of the common enlgish youth is appalling. I beleive half just arent worth bothering, yobs etc, and the other half take it for granted. But those who want it should be helped a little, else we are heading for an education system in england which does nothing for the english people.

* side note - the reason so many foreign students come here is because they do not have the opportunities in their own country, and i do not begrudge them the chance to flourish here, i wish them all the best. but surely it is not our ( as a country's) fault that their own country is in pieces, or does not have the same facilities etc. It all comes down to the fact that england has significantly more than alot of the other european countries, hence the influx of foriegners... well englands resources are running low and the common englishman is going to lose out - we cannot help EVERYBODY!

ReputationRep:
    I do believe that this is a problem that will not be solved by reducing the number of international students.
    In fact, this is one of the great advantages of being open to internationals. Higher education means qualified people, (hard-)working people.. I would keep worrying about those who imigrate and live on welfare for years.

Also many Germans (not me) believe that Germany has no identity or at least no sense of it. But this is just a very commonly believed untruth; there are many things that Germans share, not just Nazi-german-history, and people have actually written books about it.
    But irrespective of things like that, people keep believing that we have no identity- due to the lack of interest in being informed about such things.

Why should this be different in your country?
    Refusing euro and keeping old-fashioned pound doesn't give you any identity.

I think you should dig deeper, deeper than pound, queen and tea-time; there is a national identity you can be aware of. This of course is just my guess, to me Britain doesn't look international at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lindath)
    I do believe that this is a problem that will not be solved by reducing the number of international students.
    In fact, this is one of the great advantages of being open to internationals. Higher education means qualified people, (hard-)working people.. I would keep worrying about those who imigrate and live on welfare for years.
    Lindbath you mention an important and valid point about the hard working people. To be honest I dont have a problem with a few (not the thousands we have seen flood the country) coming here and claiming benefits, although any LONG TERM benefit claiming niggles me.

The thing is, the international student thing is just another spark in an already raging fire - where everyone feelsthat if for some reason
    anythign DOESN'T go " the foreigners " way then it is racist etc, to the point where a foreign muslim DEMANDS (DEMANDS for christ sake) that he has more rights in a FOREIGN COUNTRY thatn the natives.

Its just a general feeling of this country going down the drain, with the government doing everythign it can to help every other country in the world whilst this country crumbles .

somewhat akin to nero fiddling whilst rome burnt.

ReputationRep:
    Lindath you mention an important and valid point about the hard working people. To be honest I dont have a problem with a few (not the thousands we have seen flood the country) coming here and claiming benefits, although any LONG TERM benefit claiming niggles me.

The thing is, the international student thing is just another spark in an already raging fire - where everyone feelsthat if for some reason
    anythign DOESN'T go " the foreigners " way then it is racist etc, to the point where a foreign muslim DEMANDS (DEMANDS for christ sake) that he has more rights in a FOREIGN COUNTRY thatn the natives.

Its just a general feeling of this country going down the drain, with the government doing everythign it can to help every other country in the world whilst this country crumbles .

somewhat akin to nero fiddling whilst rome burnt.
    That is what I meant with my non-quoted part of my previous post.
    I see your point and I don't think it's racist to criticize or doubt a system.
    There will always be irresponsible people demanding something they shouldn't have any right to, not in their home countries nor anywhere else- just don't let them overshadow everything good.

I am definitely not giving any advice how to solve any problem, because I think it is up to politicans or greater parts of society to change those circumstances, though it might be a common problem in Europe- I'm just trying to say that you may not change things, but change the way you handle with it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marieisfab)
    I don't mind foreign students as such and don't worry about spaces at uni - it'll just stop the waste of spaces who only go for the student loans. What I can't stand is the foreign students (and particularily at my uni the Chinese) who pretend not to know English. You're sitting in a management lecture and taking notes in English - don't ignore me if I ask you a question in the tutorial.

LOL!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stettin)
    LOL!
    It's happened so many times that's it's not even funny anymore. Just rude.

ReputationRep:
    "Our own good" is not something that the old parties pay the slightest attention to. You can lose your job, be taken to court and be locked up for saying things that are for "Our own good" in this multicultural ghetto that the LibLabCon has constructed.

£15 billion a year is given out in foreign aid to countries who hate us every year, like £60 million to Zimbabwe, and this while there are hospitals which have to make cuts, and pensioners dying from cold in this country.

Only Nationalist parties like the BNP do what's "For our own good".

Do I think there are too many foreign students for our own good? Yes, as a matter of fact, I DO! :

"One Million" Chinese spy on German Technology

Germany is under attack from an increasing number of state-backed Chinese spying operations that are costing the German economy tens of billions of euros a year, a leading intelligence agent said.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009...rial-espionage

ReputationRep:

This is exactly analogous to this country's situation at the moment. the government is helping everyone else but NOT THEIR OWN PEOPLE. It has nothing to do with being racist or not liking foreign people.
    What are they supposed to do?
    Job-wise, they can't force anybody into employment. Believe me, I have seen enough of the 'can't be bothered to get up' or 'I should get paid more' attitude towards work. I started working at my workplace 4 months ago and 6 newly employed workers have left since then due to a possibility of losing their benefits or overestimatin their own capabilities.
    Anyway, that was just an anecdote.

I don't understand what the concerns are caused by. If applicants are skilled and smart enough, there is no way they will be eliminated by their foreign rivals just because they are foreign. The tougher the competition, the higher you have to aim and the more effort needs to be put into your work and preparations.
    In case anybody feels sorry for themselves because they haven't got into university, there is no point in laying the blame on foreign students, just get over it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lilija)
    What are they supposed to do?
    Job-wise, they can't force anybody into employment. Believe me, I have seen enough of the 'can't be bothered to get up' or 'I should get paid more' attitude towards work. I started working at my workplace 4 months ago and 6 newly employed workers have left since then due to a possibility of losing their benefits or overestimatin their own capabilities.
    Anyway, that was just an anecdote.

I don't understand what the concerns are caused by. If applicants are skilled and smart enough, there is no way they will be eliminated by their foreign rivals just because they are foreign. The tougher the competition, the higher you have to aim and the more effort needs to be put into your work and preparations.
    In case anybody feels sorry for themselves because they haven't got into university, there is no point in laying the blame on foreign students, just get over it.
    You just made my day. ^^
    *feels less guilty about being an American Born Chinese applying to a university in UK*

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.