Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My Parents' love is suppressing my social life. Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moghul)
    The other nite, I told my mum id be back in an hour at around 8 o'clock and dint take my phone. Came home 11pm and got it in the ear......stuff like that. They dont say no you cant, but their reactions are a killer. I dont like upsetting them either cos they hold me in high regard as well...
    To be fair, if you've told them you'll be back at 8 and didn't arrive home until 3 hours later, then of course they are going to be annoyed. Since you live with your parents, they have to right to know where you are and when you're coming back home. You live there, it's only courteous to let them know.

As for your situation, your parents don't seem to be stopping you, just frowning upon you going out. If you do go out and come back home late, safe and sound, they won't be so worried the next time it happens.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CapturedSoul)
    To be fair, if you've told them you'll be back at 8 and didn't arrive home until 3 hours later, then of course they are going to be annoyed. Since you live with your parents, they have to right to know where you are and when you're coming back home. You live there, it's only courteous to let them know.

As for your situation, your parents don't seem to be stopping you, just frowning upon you going out. If you do go out and come back home late, safe and sound, they won't be so worried the next time it happens.
    Yeah, I acknowledge that the other nite was my fault. But in regards to your second point, I have come home quite late on a few occasions: New Years for example I was out until about 2am. But even still, I get the phone call when i'm out and its like "you're coming back when?!".......Its so annoying. Just switch my phone off most of the time now. I just cannot wait to move away....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moghul)
    Yeah, I acknowledge that the other nite was my fault. But in regards to your second point, I have come home quite late on a few occasions: New Years for example I was out until about 2am. But even still, I get the phone call when i'm out and its like "you're coming back when?!".......Its so annoying. Just switch my phone off most of the time now. I just cannot wait to move away....
    But surely if you tell them from the beginning when you want to come home then there won't be the phone calls?

ReputationRep:
    Exactly just tell them before you go out when you will be back. Or tell them not to wait up. You sound like you really need to talk to them more. If you're going to be back at 4am just tell them that.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 2, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.