Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Anon please - just incase anyone from work is on here!

I currently work at River Island until i go to uni, i'm only contracted to work Sundays but they generally give me extra hours during the week too. My mum told me yesterday that we are going to visit my brother on Saturday at his new house, the only problem is that i'm down to work on Saturday. Due to me being contracted for just Sundays do i have to work this Saturday or am i in the right to tell them no?

ReputationRep:
    Depends on what your contract states, they usually give more hours in the summer as this is what people want. Speak to your manager asap but if it's on the rota it might be too late. You could also try and swap with someone else.

ReputationRep:
    You can say that you don't want to work it, but they'll probably be less likely to offer you extra shifts first.

ReputationRep:
    If they are giving extra shifts other than what you're rostered for (ie. your contracted hours- sunday) you're entitled to say no and why- you haven't agreed to do it, therefore you're not actually down to work it. Surely a saturday would be sorted by now? Try and swap it if it's already down.

ReputationRep:
    If youve agreed then techincally you need to work it, if its just been put down then you dont need to but beware they may be less likely to offer you extra shifts in the future

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.