Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can your hymen break wearing a tampon? please help. Watch

I'm 15 years old ive never had sex and ive had my period for 3 years. I want to start using tampons (well i need to) but i'm literally so frightened about it. I want to just DO it just to get it over with but loads of people are frightening mi and saying that the hymen breaks which hurts? also that when wearing a tampon u have to insert it in enough until you can't feel it but how do u know how far to insert? please help!

ReputationRep:
    No it won't rip your hymen to shreds. And it shouldn't hurt if its put in properly - might feel a bit uncomfortable for the first times. Everyday activties can wear away your hymen - like running, exercising etc.
    Just insert it until the only bit sticking out is the string.
    If you are using Tampax, it should have a info leaflet with it.

ReputationRep:
    There are lots of instructions in the pack of tampons aimed at first time users. I used smaller tampons (ordinary as opposed to super plus or whatever) and my hymen never broke until I lost my virginity. Basically, if you can fit a finger in now, you'll have no problem using a tampon. use lube if it helps.

If you hymen does break/tear, it may hurt a lil bit but at least it means come sexy times you won't have as much of a problem!

Tampons are awesome though

Hope that helps!

ReputationRep:
    It's unlikely that it will - it's more likely just to stretch.

ReputationRep:
    Tampons don't hurt to insert as long as you're relaxed. Get the ones which come with the applicator and follow the instructions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marieisfab)
    It's unlikely that it will - it's more likely just to stretch.
    Its actually very, very likely. Its unbelievably thin.

OP, you can break your hymen inserting tampons, riding horses, swimming, or indeed during any form of sport/exercise.

Many, many girls with break their hymen before losing their virginity and it doesnt hurt.

ReputationRep:
    don't worry about it, just relax because if you are getting stressed for no reason might make it painful! but don't worry, it TOTALLY SHOULDN'T BE PAINFUL. i think it's quite likely your hymen will break... to be honest you probably won't notice... it can break when you play sports! seriously, it's not a big deal... just do it and if you chicken out well it's not the end of the world!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Antonia87)
    Its actually very, very likely. Its unbelievably thin.

OP, you can break your hymen inserting tampons, riding horses, swimming, or indeed during any form of sport/exercise.

Many, many girls with break their hymen before losing their virginity and it doesnt hurt.
    I'm well aware it's thin. I would just assume that with there already being a hole in it that you would just be streatching that hole than breaking it completely.

ReputationRep:
    so you want to lose your virginity to a tampon? :eyeball:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 9MmBulletz)
    so you want to lose your virgiinity to a tampon? :eyeball:
    *Sigh* :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    As Antonia87 said, there's a high chance you might have broken it already and never even noticed.

As for the tampons, just read the instructions clearly, stay relaxed, and maybe try taking a shower right before? Usually helps me!

ReputationRep:
    If you're scared then you don't have to use them. If you wanted to use them then you'd just do it and not be worried. Don't make it into an issue. The hymen is flexible and stretches around to accommodate a tampon. Besides, the hymen has very few nerve endings in it, you'd never feel it breaking. *face in palms*

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 2, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.