Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Whilst wearing a tampon does that automatically break ones hymen?
    Everyones saying diff things so its rlly confussing.

I'm 15 nearly 16, i've never had sex and i've had my period for 3 years. I've always used pads but now i want to switch to tampons and i need to anyway cos i'm holidaying soon and its necessary. But i'm scared that if tampons do make ur hymen break, its going to hurt like hell and generally i'm frightened about it hurting. everyone says its got to be inserted far enough so u cant feel it but how do u know how far to insert?

Also i know that if a tampon is removed and its slightly painful it means it hasn't absorbed enough - so say if you insert a tampon but its not far enough in and u have to remove and try a new one because u did it wrong - wont tht hurt? cos its totally dry? HELP ME PLEASE!

ReputationRep:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/switch/surgery/...odies/tampons/

They don't hurt, honest

ReputationRep:
    If you have to take one out thats only just gone in it won't hurt cause it won't have had chance to expand at all (thats what I've found anyway).

ReputationRep:
    as the bbc website says, it probably won't break your hymen. even if it did, it doesn't hurt when it breaks, most girls don't even notice theirs has broken! it can break if you horseride, cycle etc..

even if your period is heavy, do your practise with the smallest tampons you can find (the ones with the least teardrops on the packaging). this will mean they're easier to put in. once you know what you're doing, use the one suited to your flow.

if it's not in far enough, you don't need to take it out and try a new one, just stick a finger in and push it up a bit more. remember, none of this will hurt. you're right about taking the tampon out straight away, it can be painful, but only if you're really tense or the tampon is too big. if you relax, it should just slide out though since you're using the smallest tampon.

i was so scared when i tried tampons, i was shaking and everything when i put my first one in! but they are so much better than pads, just keep practising and trying out different brands and you'll find one that suits you perfectly.

good luck

ReputationRep:
    They're supposed to go past it but I think they can make it stretch and break. I might hurt but it won't be that bad. Just insert it so that nothing is on the outside other than the string. If you can feel it and it's painful or uncomfortable then it's gone in wrong. It will probably hurt a bit if you remove a dry one but it's only for a few seconds.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 1, 2009

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.