Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How fast can gains be made for a skinny guy? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm a scrawny bugger (65kg at 6'1" ) and have decided to really try and put on some muscle. Just started a gym regime and am looking at my diet carefully so I take in about 130g of protein a day. I don't think I have very good genetics for building muscle as I'm so skinny but I was wondering roughly how long I should be waiting before I expect to see gains.

I know it's not going to be immediate and am planning for the long haul, just wondering if I'll be noticably bigger at all by the time I go to uni in October? More out of interest than anything. Cheers for the help.

phil.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InVinoVeritas)
    I'm a scrawny bugger (65kg at 6'1" ) and have decided to really try and put on some muscle. Just started a gym regime and am looking at my diet carefully so I take in about 130g of protein a day. I don't think I have very good genetics for building muscle as I'm so skinny but I was wondering roughly how long I should be waiting before I expect to see gains.

I know it's not going to be immediate and am planning for the long haul, just wondering if I'll be noticably bigger at all by the time I go to uni in October? More out of interest than anything. Cheers for the help.

phil.
    How long's your piece of string? There are too many variables to even consider it. Just aim for 1-2lbs a week average.

ReputationRep:
    Depends on a lot of factors.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team

phil.
    If you do things correctly and start NOW then you should be noticeably bigger by October. Not necessarily 4" on your arms but people might give comments about how you look more filled out, broader shoulders etc.

That was certainly true with me after two months. I did more things right that I did wrong and it paid off.

Google 'Starting Strength wiki' and read everything.

ReputationRep:
    Well, this is an entirely subjective and qualitative question.

I was in your situation about a year ago (and still am to some extent but I'm not that light now) and what I would recommend is that you raise the number of calories you take in from healthy carbohydrates a significant degree. 130g of protein is all well and good, and so is a gym regime, but you need the calorific 'energy' to be able to build any muscle and bulk up a bit.

To directly answer your question: gains can be quite fast for a beginner as your growth gradient will be steep almost immediately, but any muscle or weight gain won't become noticeable to others for quite a while and I wouldn't have any great expectations for October. Though, I'm sure you'll keep working out at university and the two months you do now will put you in better shape to keep going there. But you're a clever guy going to do NatSci at Cambridge so I'm sure you know all the science behind it far better than myself! :p:

Do you mind if I swerve this off-topic and ask you about why you picked Clare College? (You can send a PM if you want - I would really appreciate it as I'm in the process of picking a college to apply to now)!

ReputationRep:
    Do you look like this man?

ReputationRep:
    Mark ripptoes starting strength + 3200 + Calorie diet + sleep = fast noob gains.

ReputationRep:
    I used to weigh about 52 kg, now I weigh 70 kg, through rigorous training.

You've got the 130 g of protein a day right, as bodybuilders generally think that 2 g per kg of body weight is to be desired (some also state 1.5 or even just 1, but you're definitely on the safe side with 2 g per kg).

I recommend you to train with weights, I had a long period where I trained with only my body weight, and focused on a high amount of repetitions, this doesn't do you much, except you get cut, it won't really buff you up any.

I also recommend you to do supplements, a lot of people may disagree with this, saying that there are a lot of natural substitutes out there for it (like rolled oats, containing a high protein amount, and is also a good base for amino acids), the problem with all these natural substitutes is that they become tiresome, and so it often requires more discipline to keep shoving it down every day, comparing to just killing a protein shake.

I recommend that you also buy some glucose powder, to mix up with the protein powder (don't buy "weight gainer", buy whey protein powder), as glucose has been proven to be an important part of protein synthesis, and it will give you the carbohydrates you need.

Other than that, I always recommend people to train the essentials, I've talked to several professionals who agree that if you only have to do a couple of excercises, these are the ones to go for:
    * Bench press
    * Dips
    * Military press (or hand-stand push-ups if you like)
    * Chin-ups
    * Squats

Through experience I found that it was in my first period that I started growing rapidly, you may likely experience this, hope you do, but also realize that there will come a point where you'll be stuck on your weight, but you should just keep going.

Good luck to you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Yield *****)
    Other than that, I always recommend people to train the essentials, I've talked to several professionals who agree that if you only have to do a couple of excercises, these are the ones to go for:
    * Bench press
    * Dips
    * Military press (or hand-stand push-ups if you like)
    * Chin-ups
    * Squats

Good luck to you!
    *****, you forgot Deadlifts. And squats need to be right at the top.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mark Rippetoe)
    And rows.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah *****, and rows.

ReputationRep:

phil.
    hey ive pretty much got the same problem. Im about 6ft, 60kg and am looking to gain weight for when i start uni in october as well!

The way im doing it is just going to the gym every other day and attempting to eat loads more than usual, mostly food high in protein and i hope it will pay off in a few months! :woo: I'm also considering starting to drink protein shakes to help me gain weight...

Oh yeah and nice user name, I too am a fan of the phrase. Good Luck!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Arctic_wombaT)
    hey ive pretty much got the same problem. Im about 6ft, 60kg and am looking to gain weight for when i start uni in october as well!

The way im doing it is just going to the gym every other day and attempting to eat loads more than usual, mostly food high in protein and i hope it will pay off in a few months! :woo: I'm also considering starting to drink protein shakes to help me gain weight...

Oh yeah and nice user name, I too am a fan of the phrase. Good Luck!
    Nah mate you'd be much better doing Starting Strength (Google it) and definitely using protein shakes. And creatine as well.

ReputationRep:
    They weren't in any particular order at all.

Also I listed the essentials, deadlifts and rows are hardly essential, you can easily get a cut, mang body without them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Yield *****)
    They weren't in any particular order at all.

Also I listed the essentials, deadlifts and rows are hardly essential, you can easily get a cut, mang body without them.
    ...hold on, I'm Image-Googling my favourite 'Slap-a-*****' pic...

ReputationRep:
    I can't decide between this:

[IMG]http://i416.photobucket.com/albums/pp245/babygirl_s09/*****_slap.jpg[/IMG]

OR THIS:

[IMG]http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p115/epink1971/Slapa*****.jpg[/IMG]

ReputationRep:
    ...hold on, I'm Image-Googling my favourite 'Slap-a-*****' pic...
    you just had to search my site x

http://www.taleb.co.uk/*****slap.jpg

[IMG]http://www.taleb.co.uk/*****slap.jpg[/IMG]

ReputationRep:
    If your goals are incompatible with deadlifts, you need to re-evaluate your goals.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    What happens if you're doing the original Bill Starr's 5x5 - the one in his book Only The Strong Survive - that doesn't have deadlifts or rows, then?

ReputationRep:
    [IMG]http://pix.motivatedphotos.com/2009/2/6/633695463449611430-*****slap.jpg[/IMG]

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.