Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone, just looking for a lil advice

So i bought the MAC 187 brush after seeing the mac makeup artist use it on my younger sister - she really did look airbrushed. However, i've used it a couple of times now and it seems to malt a little....My prescriptives foundation goes on much better with it but i just dont want it to malt away lol. I know i'm using it correctly because the lady showed me how to do it properly etc...so i'm just a bit worried. £29 is a lot to pay for a makeup brush but worth it as long as it lasts.
    Basically I was just wondering if this is normal? If not, what can i do? I bought it from a legit MAC counter so its genuine!
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Shedding the occasional hair is not out of the ordinary even for MAC brushes, but I wouldn't expect it to be continuous (certainly, none of mine have shed more than the odd hair).

How are you caring for your brush? When you rinse it, you should only be getting the bristles wet (not the metal ferroule). You should also only ever dry brushes flat - never standing up. The reason is that if you allow water to get inside the metal ferroule, it can loosen the glue that holds the bristles in (hence they become loose).

If you have been taking care of your brush properly though, then I'd take it back to MAC. They're usually pretty good at exchanging things if there's a fault.

ReputationRep:
    I bought mine very recently too, and haven't noticed any shedding, have used it about 4 times I think? Take it back and see what they say...

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for the replies...it doesnt seem to be shredding any more, but i think if i notice anymore i will be popping back to the mac counter to see what they say!

ReputationRep:
    £29 for a brush?!

Extortion. Anyone know of cheaper versions with similar shapes?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Floofy)
    £29 for a brush?!

With make-up brushes, you really get what you pay for, so it's worth shelling out a bit of extra money for products that last (I've had the Bobbi Brown foundation and concealer brushes for a few months now, daily use during term time, and they're still as efficient as ever).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Floofy)
    £29 for a brush?!

Yes, Inglot sell a very good one (these brushes are also called "stippling brushes" or "skunk brushes" so you'd have to ask them for something like that). I'm not sure of the price but I'm sure it's cheaper. Unfortunately Inglot are only in Westfield London, though I'm sure you could phone them and ask for other ways to buy (store contact details are on the Westfield London website).

Ruby & Millie also were selling an identical one in Boots (not sure if they still do) for less than £20 (I think it was around £15 from memory) however as it was packaged up I couldn't get a good feel of it to see if it was decent. Essentially with this kind of brush you need a full, dense head otherwise it's kinda useless, most cheap versions tend to be a lot less dense, so if you were to have a look at this version then that's what I'd watch out for.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.