Turn on thread page Beta

Counterfit goods devalue the brand? watch

ReputationRep:
    eg. Louis Vuitton handbags

We've all seen fakeys but if you had the money, or scraped together the money, would you be put off buying a genuine because of the relative ease of aquiring a fake for a fraction of the price and perhaps if you got a real one it might not be as recognised?

It has also been suggested that counterfit goods go towards funding various undesirable enterprises.

ReputationRep:
    I think "blatant" brands are kind of tacky to begin with. Having a handbag with an obvious logo splashed all over it just seems distateful to me, whether it's genuine or not. Though, there are some pretty good fakes out there these days, that you'd have to be very knowledgable to spot, so I can see why many people opt for this instead.

I must say, I really don't understand why people buy counterfeit cosmetics though. Do people not realise that these products don't go through any kind of safety testing or anything to make sure they meet industry requirements? It makes me shudder to think what kind of ingredients might have gone in there, which are now going onto the skin..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by star_violet)
    I think "blatant" brands are kind of tacky to begin with. Having a handbag with an obvious logo splashed all over it just seems distateful to me, whether it's genuine or not.

I really don't understand why people buy counterfeit cosmetics though. Do they not realise that these products don't go through any kind of safety testing or anything to make sure they meet industry requirements? It makes me shudder to think what kind of ingredients might have gone in there, which are now going onto the skin..
    Wow, people do that? Though that alone might not *kill* them, those are probably the type of people who'll get a Darwin Award sooner or later for something else.

ReputationRep:
    I do feel sorry for certain designer companies that have had their trademark designs spoiled by counterfeit goods. I feel really sorry for Louis Vuitton and Burberry (theirs has to be the most unfortunate, the chavs hijacked that one lol)

I like louis vuitton, but the fakes have made that design a bit sickening.

ReputationRep:
    Totally agree... I don't think anyone can get away with wearing the Burberry check again!

ReputationRep:
    if they didnt have rip-off prices people wouldnt need to buy fakes.
    i would rather buy a fake if its 1/5 of the price.
    Ive gone off branded stuff recently all the massive logos just to show the brand name looks poo.

ReputationRep:
    You might find this website interesting.

http://www.fakesrevealed.com

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G50)
    Wow, people do that? Though that alone might not *kill* them, those are probably the type of people who'll get a Darwin Award sooner or later for something else.
    Sure they do. You only have to look at how much counterfeit stuff is sold on Ebay.
    Example

ReputationRep:
    Counterfeit watches are something I feel very strongly about, and I don't think there's a better example than Rolex. Whilst there always will be the fools who think they're beating the system, a counterfeit will never be a patch on the real thing. I honestly can't see why people would waste their money on a fake when they could spend it on a far better watch without a dodgy Rolex logo plastered all over it. Whilst I don't like the idea of counterfeits anyway, they're also a source of funding for organised crime - ergo, someone who buys a fake isn't just looking like a prat, they're also contributing to international crime.

It's never really damaged the Rolex brand - certainly doesn't stop them from selling phenomenal amounts of watches - but it is always a concern for someone wanting to buy the real deal second hand, for example. Anyway, to conclude, people who buy fake goods are morons.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinkpont)
    Counterfeit watches are something I feel very strongly about, and I don't think there's a better example than Rolex. Whilst there always will be the fools who think they're beating the system, a counterfeit will never be a patch on the real thing. I honestly can't see why people would waste their money on a fake when they could spend it on a far better watch without a dodgy Rolex logo plastered all over it. Whilst I don't like the idea of counterfeits anyway, they're also a source of funding for organised crime - ergo, someone who buys a fake isn't just looking like a prat, they're also contributing to international crime.

It's never really damaged the Rolex brand - certainly doesn't stop them from selling phenomenal amounts of watches - but it is always a concern for someone wanting to buy the real deal second hand, for example. Anyway, to conclude, people who buy fake goods are morons.
    I agree wholeheartedly.

On the whole, I'm not put off by brands that are often counterfeited. Yes, I would never buy a fake, but I wouldn't avoid a certain brand because it's often copied. Counterfeiters will attempt to copy anything if it'll make them money, every brand under the sun (the major retailers) will be copied. I'm a firm believer that it's how you wear a product, a Louis Vuitton bag can look ridiculously tacky on one person, and lovely on another. The same goes for Burberry and other brands.

ReputationRep:
    If i had saved the cash i'd rather pay for quality then some brash name on the side. All rather tacky IMO.

ReputationRep:
    Sure they do. You only have to look at how much counterfeit stuff is sold on Ebay.
    Example
    Heh. I don't know anything about cosmetics, so I dunno' just how 'low' $120 is for that stuff. How much is the real price?

ReputationRep:
    This is one of the main reasons counterfeiting is illegal! :p:

You're 100% right, but people realised this centuries ago.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G50)
    Heh. I don't know anything about cosmetics, so I dunno' just how 'low' $120 is for that stuff. How much is the real price?
    A real MAC pro palette sells for about £140 (filled). These are selling for about a tenth of the price per unit. They're just generic palettes with a fake logo slapped on... you can buy virtually the same product in Superdrug for £5 with a different logo on it.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, people should really stop buying fakes.

ReputationRep:
    A real MAC pro palette sells for about £140 (filled). These are selling for about a tenth of the price per unit. They're just generic palettes with a fake logo slapped on... you can buy virtually the same product in Superdrug for £5 with a different logo on it.
    Oh, I see. I take that the one you linked was probably legit (as it was priced $120), but there are many other ones which sell for ten times cheaper because they're fake.

I originally thought that since you linked me to one that costs $120, while talking about counterfeit goods, that a real one would be even more expensive (like $500 or something).

Or do you mean that that's also a fake one, but it's selling at the price of a real one in hopes of trying to dupe someone? lol, I'm just full of stupid questions, aren't I.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by just say hello)
    if they didnt have rip-off prices people wouldnt need to buy fakes.
    i would rather buy a fake if its 1/5 of the price.
    Ive gone off branded stuff recently all the massive logos just to show the brand name looks poo.
    rip off prices? this isn't soviet russia you know, you don't deserve it if you can't afford it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G50)
    Oh, I see. I take that the one you linked was probably legit (as it was priced $120), but there are many other ones which sell for ten times cheaper because they're fake.

I originally thought that since you linked me to one that costs $120, while talking about counterfeit goods, that a real one would be even more expensive (like $500 or something).

Or do you mean that that's also a fake one, but it's selling at the price of a real one in hopes of trying to dupe someone? lol, I'm just full of stupid questions, aren't I.
    Haha, sorry, no I guess I didn't make it clear.

The link is to some fake items being sold on Ebay for US$120 (which equals £72 - or £15 per unit as there are 5 palettes being sold in that auction).
    To buy a single geniune palette would cost £140, which is nearly ten times as much as a single fake palette.
    Hope that clears things up now

Though based on your answer, I now wonder if the real problem is that people don't realise they're buying fake..!

ReputationRep:
    Oh riiight. I didn't realize you meant the cost was that high for just one palette. Or I didn't see that there were 5 palettes being sold. Well, either of those. Anyway, doesn't matter... all cleared up now. Thanks. And, nah, I *think* most people realize it's probably a fake when they see something like that (or they just haven't been ripped off yet, and are yet to learn that nothing's free or dirt cheap without a major catch). I just wasn't paying attention (but would if I was actually going to buy something).

ReputationRep:
    I don't buy polo shirts unless they're fake or are the same price as fakes. Which is rare, as I get mine for £5.

And LOL at the op using the word fakey. I went into cex with my sciphone (chinese iPhone clone) and she kept calling it that, about 5 times in the short time I was speaking to her. I was just thinking SHUT UP! lol :p:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 2, 2009
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.