Turn on thread page Beta

Are Trackie bottoms and footie shorts chavvy? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Devil in Your Details)
    I wear tracksuit bottoms and football shorts at times, but for comfort, not just for sport. If that means a narrow-minded person who lives a label-defined life brands me 'chavvy', more fool them. Also, I don't care, I'm comfortable.

And by the by, tracksuit bottoms does not automatically equal 'chav'. You just can't define a person by what they wear. If you do, it says something about the kind of person you are. Just think about the logic you are using if you think along these lines.

Lastly... who cares if someone thinks you look 'chavvy'? It isn't going to have any impact on you, your life, or anything at all. Life is too short to give a damn.
    I think you need to redefine who doesn't like trackies and football shorts. You basically just called me a narrow minded person who lives in a label-defined life. I may be narrow minded at times, yes, but I haven't bought any clothes in more than six months and the ones I did buy were cheap anyway. Most of my friends are like this, and we all share similar opinions about trackies or joggers. In my experience, I have actually found that people who wear trackies and the like to be the brand following sheep.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nuffles)
    I only ever wear either baggy shorts or jeans :/ I have to say when I see someone wearing joggers around town I think trendwhore and when I see someone wearing football shorts I wonder why they didn't grow out of wearing football stuff when not playing football when they were 7.
    theres a lot of 'trendwhores' then as lots of lads where trackies. and if footie shorts were only for 7 year olds how come the replica kits is such bug busness for most clubs?

ReputationRep:
    I wear tracksuit bottoms and football shorts at times, but for comfort, not just for sport. If that means a narrow-minded person who lives a label-defined life brands me 'chavvy', more fool them. Also, I don't care, I'm comfortable.

And by the by, tracksuit bottoms does not automatically equal 'chav'. You just can't define a person by what they wear. If you do, it says something about the kind of person you are. Just think about the logic you are using if you think along these lines.

Lastly... who cares if someone thinks you look 'chavvy'? It isn't going to have any impact on you, your life, or anything at all. Life is too short to give a damn.

BEST. ANSWER. EVER! Damn if i hadn't already used today's rep.
    Remind me tomorrow!

ReputationRep:
    Yes, unless you're playing sport.

ReputationRep:

This exactly. I wear them for comfort.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tobie123)
    theres a lot of 'trendwhores' then as lots of lads where trackies. and if footie shorts were only for 7 year olds how come the replica kits is such bug busness for most clubs?
    I'm not a fan of football. At all. I'm biased.

It's pretty much impossible to not follow a trend of some kind. Especially if you buy new clothes from a certain brand. 90% of trackies and joggers will be adidas/nike/superdry or similar. Pretty much everything I buy is secondhand or unbranded because I hate spending money. Trendwhores are everywhere. Most BMXers are trendwhores *waits for the torrents of abuse* (brakeless, whatever colour is in this month, slammed seats, wide bars). Basically, you do what everyone else does to fit in and because it's 'in' this season. Everyone's wearing trackies and joggers at the moment which makes most people wearing them trendwhores. I'm sorry but that's just my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    I wear trackies in my house but then again i go to the gym some days.

Never go out wearing them otherwise!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nuffles)
    I think you need to redefine who doesn't like trackies and football shorts. You basically just called me a narrow minded person who lives in a label-defined life. I may be narrow minded at times, yes, but I haven't bought any clothes in more than six months and the ones I did buy were cheap anyway. Most of my friends are like this, and we all share similar opinions about trackies or joggers. In my experience, I have actually found that people who wear trackies and the like to be the brand following sheep.
    People who don't like tracksuit bottoms and shorts because they don't find them appealing to the style of clothes that they would wear; that's just fine. However, when you turn into the kind of person that goes a step further and automatically catagorizes tracksuit bottoms as 'chavvy', well, that's an entirely different person. Such generalisation is just wrong. Clothes are all about the comfort, man.

Nothing about wearing tracksuit bottoms makes somebody a brand-following sheep. It's a whole different debate. If the particular ones I buy have brand-names; I don't care. Much the same as buying any type of clothing, I might add. The difference here is that unless you actually use the brand as a benchmark of status, you aren't a label crazed sheep.

It kind of sounds like your proud of buying cheap clothes, and not often, simply because you don't want to be the same label-obsessed person you look down upon. Well, that's great, but I don't have to accept that your view is the right one, because that'd make me a sheep. I'd just be subscribing to a different view. I mean, you even go so far as to say all of your friends have the same view of people who wear trackies.

You just can't look at things that way, it's plain silly. Also, I think you misunderstood my use of 'label-defined'.

ReputationRep:
    For the most part they're pretty awful... though recently lots of guys have started wearing tracksuit bottoms with checked shirts to college, and it looks surprisingly good. Hmm.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 2, 2009
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.