Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    For example does pay vary alot for people who work in say Equity capital markets and M&A. Which parts get the most generally or does it entirely depend on what the bank was strong on that year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TomTeeTom)
    For example does pay vary alot for people who work in say Equity capital markets and M&A. Which parts get the most generally or does it entirely depend on what the bank was strong on that year.
    Best paid division = division you perform the best in = division you are most interested in => stop worrying about what the pay differences are as you are still in your first year of uni and start worrying about which division suits your skills and interests the most.

ReputationRep:
    Right now? No. Everyone gets paid nothing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uthinkilltellu)
    Your inbox is full. nudge nudge hint hint. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Many banks have been turning profits in the last 2 quaters so ....

ReputationRep:
    It depends on the transactions your group completes. This year, senior ECM bankers will earn more by far. At analyst level, it doesn't really matter what group you are in, you get graded and then all analysts accross the groups get paid according to the same scale.

By the way, the majority of people in IBD don't work in M&A, ECM or DCM, most work in sector/industry coverage teams.

ReputationRep:
    The transactions you work on does affect your grading which in turn affects your bonus. So if you were working in a team where you were involved in many transactions yielding $30mm net IB fees, this will be reflective in your review. And if you didnt fak up, you will likely get a good review (and thus better rank and bonus) compared to someone who only pitched throughout the year (i.e. working in an underperforming team/division). So at the end of the day it does matter which team you work in. I know people who are good analysts in London, worked all year with no transaction experience (been pitching all out) but yet I got a better bonus than them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TomTeeTom)
    Many banks have been turning profits in the last 2 quaters so ....
    Trading profits and accounting. M&A revenues and volumes are dire.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for teh few good replies guys. But during my internship at DB i have realised i want to go into trading rather than IBD. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Define your "internship".

ReputationRep:
    DB "I have a dream programme".. So not too bad at all for pre-uni

ReputationRep:
    Its the 'I have a dream program as mentioned by Haz'. Before i went onto it i was split between IBD and trading but now i don't think IBD is for me. It's too boring and I think the trading environment will suit my personality alot more. Anddddddddddd i dont want to work 18 hours a day infront of excel.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prince of Zamunda)
    How long is it? And what do you guys do during the day?

Good choice.
    We've had some training and netwrorking events some excel stuff. shadowing. General intern stuff but obv not as much as the undergrads. It's 4 weeks long. Its a good experience but the dream is GS

However for now I am leaving this forum. I will return in approximately 2 months to start my spring week apps. I know if i start doing them too early I will be one of those people emailing human resources every other day. Just gonna do some CV building from now till October ( October is a good time to start applying right :o: )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prince of Zamunda)
    Cool, good luck. The DB programme, as well as the Rothschild gap year programme seem to be good feeders for the GS spring programmes.
    The Rothschild gap programme is a waste of time, it is glorified temping, you would be far better served on the DB one or accenture/prof services.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scrubsnamesake)
    The Rothschild gap programme is a waste of time, it is glorified temping, you would be far better served on the DB one or accenture/prof services.
    Much like their summer internship then, eh?

(joke)

ReputationRep:
    Much like their summer internship then, eh?

(joke)

Haha true, I hear they finish before midnight on fridays, ******* slackers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scrubsnamesake)
    Haha true, I hear they finish before midnight on fridays, ******* slackers.
    WHAT???!!! But the most exciting time is after 12. That's when you start getting really desparate to finish your work.

ReputationRep:
    ugly ibd hours

ReputationRep:
    the weak and the feeble, tomteetom. the weak and the feeble.

ReputationRep:
    the weak and the feeble, tomteetom. the weak and the feeble.
    TBH ibd is not me it's too boring. not fast paced.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.