Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have been dying my hair blonde for years. I have dyed my hair brown a few times but it fades really quickly and after about a month its practically blonde again. I dyed my hair a dark brown 2 weeks ago and its not faded, so my hair is a medium brown. I bought a self dye thing today which is a deep red brown colour. Im worried my hair my go a bit orange because my hair has got a bit of a blonde tint to it now.
    Will it go a horrible colour?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    But if you go brunette.. you cant be blondy anymore :'(

ReputationRep:
    It might be a bit expensive but it's a better idea to get it done professionally. I've been dying my hair for years; I'm naturally blonde and had been underdying it brown, then red, then brown again until I decided to get it done professionally and it just didn't fade anyway near as much as usual. Since then I had it bleached (bad idea, don't do it) then almost black, then bright red, and now I'm back to brown. Generally, it never goes back to blonde but it lightens up a lot, bringing the colour out, which I know wouldn't happen if I dyed it myself!

Sorry if that's not what you wanted to hear...

In other news, I dyed my mates hair, the majority was dyed dark brown and her roots were quite a bit lighter.... we tried to dye it dark reddy brown and her roots went ginger while the rest didn't really change...

Hope this helps xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Special_K)
    It might be a bit expensive but it's a better idea to get it done professionally. I've been dying my hair for years; I'm naturally blonde and had been underdying it brown, then red, then brown again until I decided to get it done professionally and it just didn't fade anyway near as much as usual. Since then I had it bleached (bad idea, don't do it) then almost black, then bright red, and now I'm back to brown. Generally, it never goes back to blonde but it lightens up a lot, bringing the colour out, which I know wouldn't happen if I dyed it myself!

Sorry if that's not what you wanted to hear...

In other news, I dyed my mates hair, the majority was dyed dark brown and her roots were quite a bit lighter.... we tried to dye it dark reddy brown and her roots went ginger while the rest didn't really change...

Hope this helps xx
    You sound very experimental lol.

In june i got it done professionally, but a month later it faded back to blonde. Not as blonde as i used to dye it, but pretty blonde. Just worried now that my dark brown has faded to a medium brown with a blonde tint, so if i put reddy brown on it worried it will go orange or fade into orange when i go to spain in a few weeks. So you think its a bad idea?

ReputationRep:
    I'm even more experimental, it's been literally every colour except green, I used to think I was rad

It sounds like it could potentially go orange, what you probably need to do is dye it very very very dark first and then put a reddish colour on it, as there's less chance of it fading to orange and more chance of it fading to a reddy, lighter brown. Does that sound plausible?

ReputationRep:
    http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/tesco...motion_36.html That is the stuff i bought.

Damn, :-( hair costs so much money lol. But if i dye it really dark surely the red tint surely wouldnt even show up? like with your friend who had dark hair, and nothing happened apart from ginger roots.

I will probably take your advice. Dye it more brown and then dye it a reddy brown a week or 2 later..

ReputationRep:
    I think that's cuz she didn't bother waiting though, she dyed it again literally 3 days later... it does take a while to come through but mine went a wicked dark red/brown colour, which contrasted a lot with the black I had put in my hair too.

Your plan sounds good, I have the best ideas :P

Hope it goes well for you xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Special_K)
    I think that's cuz she didn't bother waiting though, she dyed it again literally 3 days later... it does take a while to come through but mine went a wicked dark red/brown colour, which contrasted a lot with the black I had put in my hair too.

Your plan sounds good, I have the best ideas :P

Hope it goes well for you xx
    Your hair is an amazing colour! thats the colour i want mine. Your v pretty too.
    o you remember what shade you put on your hair to get it that colour? i think brown is 4. something and reddy colours are 3. somethings..

So u think i should dye my hair brown again, then wait about.. 1 week before putting the reddy colour on it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blondyx)
    So u think i should dye my hair brown again, then wait about.. 1 week before putting the reddy colour on it?
    Personally, I would dye it with that first, but have a dark brown on hand if it goes orange
    But that might just be me, I've had orange hair after accidentally going half blonde half ginger. I'd used a lightener on my hair, I did a strand test and everything, except I didn't test my roots, they went bright blonde, then orangy then a gorgeous copper colour at the tips, I tried to dye over it and it went orange at the top and faded to a lovely reddy brown at the bottom, so I dyed over it again :p:
    I think the colour has just enough brown to red ratio to not make you orange, but I could be wrong, I think there is enough brown to not make the red overly noticeable if you get me.

Good Luck either way, even using my usual dye I get nervous every time :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ruthie!)
    Personally, I would dye it with that first, but have a dark brown on hand if it goes orange
    But that might just be me, I've had orange hair after accidentally going half blonde half ginger. I'd used a lightener on my hair, I did a strand test and everything, except I didn't test my roots, they went bright blonde, then orangy then a gorgeous copper colour at the tips, I tried to dye over it and it went orange at the top and faded to a lovely reddy brown at the bottom, so I dyed over it again :p:
    I think the colour has just enough brown to red ratio to not make you orange, but I could be wrong, I think there is enough brown to not make the red overly noticeable if you get me.

My roots are like a dirty blonde/brown colour so my roots shouldn't be a problem. Don't i have to wait at least a week inbetween dying my hair?

I might do a streak test like you did, but if it looks crap i have a strand of crap hair and my dye is wasted lol

ReputationRep:
    Your hair is an amazing colour! thats the colour i want mine. Your v pretty too.
    o you remember what shade you put on your hair to get it that colour? i think brown is 4. something and reddy colours are 3. somethings..

Aww thankyou :blushes: I think that colour was about 3 weeks after I'd had it coloured, the last few times it's been almost black and the red has come through later on. And sorry, I have no idea what colour my hairdresser puts on it, I literally point at a colour and say, Little Britain stylee, I WANT THAT ONE!

Basically yeh, I think thats what you should do. You could probably even do it all in the same day, it just may be a tad too much on your scalp or whatever, but it would probably work. Of course the colour depends on how much you wash your hair and how much heat you put on it, but you probably know that

ReputationRep:
    just do it if it goes wrong but another brown over the top

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ruthie!)

But surely my hair would turn out the same as yours did and go orange then?

ReputationRep:
    But surely my hair would turn out the same as yours did and go orange then?
    My roots were white blonde and I used a really reddish dye over the top to try and get it the same as my tips, I'll see if I can find a pic but I don't think I have any.
    My roots are like a dirty blonde/brown colour so my roots shouldn't be a problem. Don't i have to wait at least a week inbetween dying my hair?

I might do a streak test like you did, but if it looks crap i have a strand of crap hair and my dye is wasted lol
    You can wait but if its a one off I can't see it being a problem, also you cut a bit off and tape it to foil to do a strand test and only mix a small amount of dye so you wouldn't waste the dye or have funny coloured hair.

http://frozen2late.files.wordpress.c...01/blonde1.jpg
    That was pretty much what my hair was like but the roots were even lighter.. Its not me btw I googled bad blonde hair dye :p:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.