Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How would I go about getting tested for this? I have had a weird discharge for years on end and recently have started to get dull aches in my abdomen. I've been to the GP about it but got fobbed off. I KNOW there's something or other wrong 'down there' whether small or big. I mentioned the possibility of PID and the Dr didn't take me seriously at all. I regularly get swabbed for infections and it's always clear. Is there still a possibility I have PID? How can I make the GP do something?

ReputationRep:
    I don't really know all the ins and outs of pelvic inflammatory disease.
    But when the nurse at my local gp wondered if i had it she sent me straight to the GUM clinic, which then did swabs, blood tests and an internal pelvic exam.. and they then sent me for a pelvic/vaginal ultrasound and then stuck me on antibiotics and was told not to have sex.
    The antibiotics made me throw up something chronic though. Bad times
    I only went to the docs because sex had become painful and i was bleeding everytime i had sex. (Sorry tmi :p:)
    If your doc wont take you seriously, get a second opinion or go straight to the gum clinic?
    If everythings always clear when you get checked for infections then i guess it's highly unlikely you have it..?

Did you have it in the end? I'm worried cos I had suspected chlamydia about 3 years ago which I was given antibiotics for and I'm worried it may have developed into PID without anyone noticing. It would be so unlucky for me to have this as I'm forever in the doctors/hospital getting my cervix poked at and tested but it says the symptoms are subtle or absent in most people. Really scary!

ReputationRep:
    I'm really paranoid I have it. I have the dull pain sometimes and weird discharge. I went to the doctor, she pressed around on my abdomen and told me it was fine but it still bothers me. I brought up PID and she just said I didn't have it. How do you know?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 3, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.