Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone
    My name is Calvin.

I just done my AS...
    and I think I'm gonna get all As in my AS (well I hope so)
    in Chemistry, Biology, Physics, Maths, Further Maths
    probably like an E in General Studie but oh well

but the problem is, I've only got a D in GCSE English.
    resat it this year, but I don't think I'm gonna get a C...

It's my third language you see

Is there a chance (even the slightest) for me to get offered a place in Medicine
    even though I have only got a D?

Tbh, I'm gonna ring up a few Universities and ask them about that...
    or send them a letter even.
    Just wanna know what you guys think

I mean... my English can't be that bad if I have gotten As in most of my AS's lmao.

ReputationRep:
    I got a D in english, its my first language lol ive gotta resit it.
    Its my most hated subject as i dont like using loads of different words to explain something or tell a story. I keep everything short and simple. Sorry i aint got a clue about whether you cant still get a place or not lol.

I'm not claiming to be a Medicine expert. However, as I'm sure you'll understand places are highly competitive.

From what I understand, Birmingham (and a couple others, not sure exactly) have GCSE requirements as well as basic requirements. It is therefore in your best interests to have a C+ in GCSE English.

As for getting offered a place, it's highly dependant on your A Level results, and your PS. However, I could see why your GCSE could perhaps hinder that.

(Btw, you'll most likely have people posting in this thread with obscenities. I would try to ignore them)

ReputationRep:
    i'm not sure but i don't think they will be happy if you merely get a D. if all fails, you could always go to Prague and pay like 10,000 a year, the med school there probably won't mind if your GCSE grades are under-par.

ReputationRep:
    Medicine is really competitive and because of this, most universities take GCSEs into account to distinguish between all the top candidates who achieve A grades at A level.
    A D, especially in English isn't great, but if you explained that it isn't your first language, they may be more sympathetic, but try to ensure your personal statement is good and that you have some work experience.
    Good luck.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    If you've got a valid reason - it's not the end of the world - solid marks at AS, good PS, sufficient work exp. can counter a single bad grade.

ReputationRep:
    If it isn't your first language can you not do the other english tests that universities ask for, specific to people to whom english is their second language? The name escapes me.

(Original post by ghanglish)
    If it isn't your first language can you not do the other english tests that universities ask for, specific to people to whom english is their second language? The name escapes me.
    ESOL? CAE?

ReputationRep:
    I think C is the bare minimum at the vast majority, if not all medical schools.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WhereIsMyMind)
    ESOL? CAE?
    Yeah possibly and I just got this off the SGUL website

"GCSE English Language must be at least a grade B or, if it is not taken, you must pass the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) with 7.0 overall and 7.0 in the Written Element (with no other section less than 6.5). Re-sits are not accepted except for GCSE English Language/IELTS"

Maybe that's another route to consider. I'm not sure. I'm no expert.

ReputationRep:
    epic fail, D is bad.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it's the end of the world, but since English is not your first language and you didn't do well at it at GCSE you'll need to take another English test (TOEFL, IELTS, etc.) to satisfy the language requirement, that the university will no doubt have, for foreign students.

ReputationRep:
    dont you get a D for writing your name on the paper?
    jokes jokes

you just need to check with whatever universities you're looking to apply to and cross your fingers you got C + this time round. but it could cause a problem.

ReputationRep:
    Hey thanks for the help guys.
    and idk I still havn't started my personal statement yet, I'm gonna go on the personal statement section of the forum soon and have a look

I put 'Pending' on my GCSE English grade
    but meh... I doubt I will get a C.
    if I really do I'm definitely throwing a party lmao.

Ah and I did this thing like last year...
    called Adult Literacy, or ALAN...
    I passed, just can't find it on the UCAS >_>
    I'ma have a look later

I'm probably gonna sign up for this IELTS thing tomorrow as well.

Best forum I've ever been on ^_^

(Original post by epic_scale)
    epic fail, D is bad.
    Hey captain obvious
    I would love to see you to goto Hong Kong and get a C in Chinese
    thanks for the "help" though.

ReputationRep:
    Hey captain obvious
    I would love to see you to goto Hong Kong and get a C in Chinese
    thanks for the "help" though.
    Well said.

Welcome to TSR Btw

Good Luck, I'm sure with much desire, determination and aptitude, you'll be fine!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks ^_^

This is my favourite forum now...

Wow, should have came here earlier.

ReputationRep:
    Yea true, you might get away with 7 on IELTS

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure you can make up that D by re-sitting during your AS's my school does things like that. or i think there is an equivalent exam, like ALAN test.

ReputationRep:
    Look at the entry requirements - some Medical Schools require at least a B.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.