The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Zyanide
Hey thanks for the help guys.
and idk I still havn't started my personal statement yet, I'm gonna go on the personal statement section of the forum soon and have a look

I put 'Pending' on my GCSE English grade
but meh... I doubt I will get a C.
if I really do I'm definitely throwing a party lmao.

Ah and I did this thing like last year...
called Adult Literacy, or ALAN...
I passed, just can't find it on the UCAS >_>
I'ma have a look later

I'm probably gonna sign up for this IELTS thing tomorrow as well.

Best forum I've ever been on ^_^

Hey captain obvious
I would love to see you to goto Hong Kong and get a C in Chinese
thanks for the "help" though.

just out of interest pal. i was in the country for just a year, and I got a B in english. and yes I can go HK and study chinese, though passing it would be miraclous.
Reply 21
Have a look at the entry requirements. Although most medical schools require C+
Reply 22
Although some schools do need a B/C grade at least in GCSE English, right now just focus on your A levels as they are just as important. If it's you 3rd language they may understand. If you do find yourself unlucky, there's always the graduate route. So if you're worried about not becoming a doctor at the end of the day, don't worry you'll get there. :smile:
Reply 23
Minimum GCSE requirements: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_GCSE_Requirements

They all require at least a C (except Dundee and Cambridge according to that). You will definitely need to contact the universities themselves, they will give far better advice, rather than just signing up for these tests people have kindly recommended when they could be of no use.

Also for example:

ghanglish
Yeah possibly and I just got this off the SGUL website

"GCSE English Language must be at least a grade B or, if it is not taken, you must pass the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) with 7.0 overall and 7.0 in the Written Element (with no other section less than 6.5). Re-sits are not accepted except for GCSE English Language/IELTS"

Maybe that's another route to consider. I'm not sure. I'm no expert.

Bold emphasis is ghanglish's; Red is mine.

That seems to suggest that it's only needed to be taken if the GCSE hasn't, and so it might not be acceptable if you've taken the GCSE already.

You really do need to contact the universities themselves - all of them if you're really passionate! Explain your situation, find out their policies and write down what each of them say.

Good luck. :smile:
Reply 24
ALAN, Adult Literacy & Numeracy, Level 2, which is what I did, and I assume you did, is equivalent to a B at GCSE, it's two of the easiest test' I have ever done in my life but I don't know if Med schools take them into account when applying.

I think Barts & The London don't accept ALAN or GNVQ which is a shame.. I have 2 A* and 2 A at GCSE from GNVQ, bad times!
However even if you get 7+ in IELTS, your chances are slim, given the fact you presumably have to declare your D in English GCSE.
Reply 26
epic_scale
just out of interest pal. i was in the country for just a year, and I got a B in english. and yes I can go HK and study chinese, though passing it would be miraclous.

Would be kinda hard to pass English when you are in the same class with a bunch of chavs and retards
(I was one of the retards :])

Everyone were just like throwing stuff... pens... around
never did work

Should have listened to the teachers. xD

Luca118
ALAN, Adult Literacy & Numeracy, Level 2, which is what I did, and I assume you did, is equivalent to a B at GCSE, it's two of the easiest test' I have ever done in my life but I don't know if Med schools take them into account when applying.

I think Barts & The London don't accept ALAN or GNVQ which is a shame.. I have 2 A* and 2 A at GCSE from GNVQ, bad times!

Yeah I did that.
Doubt they will even take notice of that though...

I'm gonna go all out this year
pickin all 5 choices as medicine...
if I get all 5 rejected..

Oh well, I'm just gonna resit English again...
Zyanide

I'm gonna go all out this year
pickin all 5 choices as medicine...
if I get all 5 rejected...

Only 4 choices for medicine + 1 alternative choice.
Reply 28
i think you should contact the universities and ask for their advice, it would be bad to put english grade pending and not declare you have sat it before and achieved a grade D. As they will find out eventually, and/or will have questions to ask. The worse case scenario being a withdrawal of your application altogether.

With the ielets/gcse english situation, i think it depends on how long you have been in the uk/ or if you are classed as a home or international student (do check with the unis though, they will offer the best advice). i don't think english being your 2nd or 3rd lanaguage makes a difference if you are now considered local (english is also my second language).

Latest

Trending

Trending