Turn on thread page Beta

How can I afford my accommodation if I dont go to a UoL? watch

ReputationRep:
    I get minimum loan and no grants/bursaries etc as they are means tested.

My dad is giving me weekly maintenance money.

In London I get £4900 loan.

Outside of London I get £3500 loan.

Does this mean I cannot afford to have an ensuite room at a uni outside of London? or are there other ways of financing youself as a student?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    GET A JOB and save i am in a similar situation to you and i will be recieving no money from my parents. and i'll get no bursary and all of £50 grant from the goverment, my answer...get a summer job FT before uni mabye even 2 jobs. and a job whilst at uni.

ReputationRep:
    Get a job?

ReputationRep:
    I have a job, part time. They will not give me anymor hours, and I cannot find another. Ive tried!

I was just wondering basically if it is true there are no other means of loan from Govt. They are basically backing you into a corner. If my dad wasnt funding me I couldnt go without a garanteed job from the start because I would have no money.

How ridiculous. It needs sorting out. I wonder how many people dont go each year due to the fact that it is financially impossible.

ReputationRep:
    There's no other funding from the government. You might be able to get a scholarship from uni, but that's about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Titch89)
    There's no other funding from the government. You might be able to get a scholarship from uni, but that's about it.
    Thanks, but dont you have to be really good at something for that?

Im not moaning, I know so many people are in my situation. It just seems such a strange thing. Im nearly 19, but I still cant have access to a larger loan because my parents have a high income.. strange .

ReputationRep:
    Simple answer: Get a job.
    That is usually the conventional protocol when looking to make more money. That or resort to theft.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LJBzzz)
    How ridiculous. It needs sorting out. I wonder how many people dont go each year due to the fact that it is financially impossible.

But you're talking about en suite rooms. They're a luxury option.

If you have a medical reason for it, then there may be other financial routes to get help to afford the linked bathroom, but are you seriously suggesting that being unable to afford en suite is an outrage? En suite accommodation is, for the most part, filled with students who are heavily subsidised by their parents. It's there for the people prepared to pay. If your parents won't pay, suck it up and share a bathroom.

I'd have more sympathy if you were having to seriously consider not going at all for financial reasons, but because you can't afford top-end accommodation? Wow.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, and loans are higher for London students because of London weighting. It's not free money, it's supposed to be to cover the extra relative costs in London. You'd be no better off with it as London halls cost £££s in comparison.

ReputationRep:
    I wonder how many people dont go each year due to the fact that it is financially impossible.
    None, because it isn't. How are the government backing you into a corner; it's cheaper to live outside London, hence the lower loan.

ReputationRep:
    Im not moaning, I know so many people are in my situation. It just seems such a strange thing. Im nearly 19, but I still cant have access to a larger loan because my parents have a high income.. strange .
    If you live independently from you parents from three years you can get the loan based upon your own income rather than your parents.

ReputationRep:
    It's great everyone saying get a job - I've been looking for a second job for 2 months now...nothing.

I just got all my student loan confirmation stuff through today, the way I've worked it out I'm going to really struggle because my parents are on more money than they have been previously. They're not even offering to help me out. Fantastic stuff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davy-Jones)
    Simple answer: Get a job.
    That is usually the conventional protocol when looking to make more money. That or resort to theft.
    Or prostitution, yes technically a job, but not the sort of thing you slap on your CV
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    My parents didn't help me through uni, so I had no choice but to live in the cheapest accommodation and work part time during the academic year, full time in my summer hols. I totally understand that, particularly in the current economic climate, finding a job that will fit around your studies is difficult. When you start uni, ask your students' union if they have any bar or shop work going, or see if they've got a job shop offering jobs in the local area that are happy to take on students. Also, just go for the shared bathroom option for halls - it won't harm you and will save you probably around £20 a week. Bring your own cleaning products and/or wear flip flops in the shower if you're that concerned about how hygenic the bathroom will be. Unless you're very lucky, you've probably not got an en suite at home anyway, so it won't be cruel and unusual punishment for you to have to leave your room to go to the loo, or to find someone else in the shower when you want to use it! ;-) Hope everything goes well for you and that you do manage to find some extra income.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jellybeanjen)
    My parents didn't help me through uni, so I had no choice but to live in the cheapest accommodation and work part time during the academic year, full time in my summer hols. I totally understand that, particularly in the current economic climate, finding a job that will fit around your studies is difficult. When you start uni, ask your students' union if they have any bar or shop work going, or see if they've got a job shop offering jobs in the local area that are happy to take on students. Also, just go for the shared bathroom option for halls - it won't harm you and will save you probably around £20 a week. Bring your own cleaning products and/or wear flip flops in the shower if you're that concerned about how hygenic the bathroom will be. Unless you're very lucky, you've probably not got an en suite at home anyway, so it won't be cruel and unusual punishment for you to have to leave your room to go to the loo, or to find someone else in the shower when you want to use it! ;-) Hope everything goes well for you and that you do manage to find some extra income.
    You speak alot of sense

I was not suggesting it was an outrage not being able to afford an en-suite.

42 weeks of accom self catering, shared bathroom at Birmingham is more than the loan I would recieve. This makes it impossible for me to study there without aquiring an expensive private loan.

I have a job, but due to the costs of running a car, paying for my phone, and necessary items; I have been unable to save alot. I am lucky because my dad will support me. I was purely asking if I have missed something as it appears some people will not be able to afford to go. Clearly i have not though

ReputationRep:
    And if anyone else wants ammunition to criticise -

I have confirmed accommodation at Royal Holloway, which is £128 a week self catering. Feel free to make of that what you want. My parents wanted me to have it, and RHUL do not offer self catering for shared bathroom. If i could've, I would have had shared bathroom, self catering

Trust me I wanted to save an extra £2000 a year. En-suite, like people have said, is a luxury not a necessity.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.