Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    The title says it all, and I´m gonna tell yall why.
    You sign into msn for a chat with ONE person who you´ve been meaning to catch up with and then you´re immediately swamped with a million of those uber annoying chimes to tell you that you´ve received an IM.
    As you don´t want to appear to your friends as a ******** you spend 5-10 mins answering everybody then you get back to chattin with the person you wanted to, they then write something like "LOL" or "XD" and the conversation is over.
    So you decide to surf the internet
    except you can´t because every 5 sec you get "bluda-bling" tellin you got a godamn IM
    STFU!!!
    Again you dont want to appear rude so you try to hold 5, 6 ,7, 8 conversations with different ppl at the same time.
    Humans are only designed to talk to one person at a time, and it shows.
    You start messin up and gettin mixed up, you tell your best (male) friend intimate **** which was meant for your gf, you start sendin intimate pics of yourself to male friends...............
    (well at least i do)
    On top of that you can´t get anything done (like this article is takin me ages to write) and you start spellin like a retard. like i probably am now

So thank you tsr for lettin me get this off my chest as i´m swearin im never signin into msn again and you shouldn´t neither.

ReputationRep:
    This is why I don't use it.. its all about the mobile phone

ReputationRep:
    Has this not got more to do with the contacts and friends you have on msn and the fact they dont want to/can't be bothered to sustain a convo with you...After all, if you wanna have an interesting chat with someone on msn, then there's nothing stopping you.

ReputationRep:
    don't use it then? n00b.

ReputationRep:
    appear offline when you log on

ReputationRep:
    The 'bluda-bling' annoys me too, so I turn the sound off. Then, you only get a flashing orange thing on your taskbar so you know when people have replied.

The facebook chat is more annoying, it's so tiny and half the messages don't get sent.

ReputationRep:
    Thats what blocking is for.

ReputationRep:
    Appearing offline may be an option :eyebrow:

ReputationRep:
    Turn the "bluda-bling" off then

ReputationRep:
    Or just have everyone in a massive group convo, it works totally great cause everyone feels included and you can chat to some people outside the group but not everyone feels the need to message you.

ReputationRep:
    That's why I appear offline when I sign in

ReputationRep:
    was this just your way of getting people to add you loooll

ReputationRep:
    Block them then you ********.

ReputationRep:
    What a stupid thread. Just appear offline, or on busy or away. Turn off the sound and block people you don't want to speak to. Also, find more interesting contacts.

ReputationRep:
    Use Trillian Alpha and all your problems are solved.

ReputationRep:
    Just use the new messenger and sign in as invisible...

ReputationRep:
    set your status to busy then it mutes the sound :awesome: duh

ReputationRep:
    Thats why I appear offline, or 'away'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AntiMonarchist)
    The title says it all, and I´m gonna tell yall why.
    You sign into msn for a chat with ONE person who you´ve been meaning to catch up with and then you´re immediately swamped with a million of those uber annoying chimes to tell you that you´ve received an IM.
    As you don´t want to appear to your friends as a ******** you spend 5-10 mins answering everybody then you get back to chattin with the person you wanted to, they then write something like "LOL" or "XD" and the conversation is over.
    So you decide to surf the internet
    except you can´t because every 5 sec you get "bluda-bling" tellin you got a godamn IM
    STFU!!!
    Again you dont want to appear rude so you try to hold 5, 6 ,7, 8 conversations with different ppl at the same time.
    Humans are only designed to talk to one person at a time, and it shows.
    You start messin up and gettin mixed up, you tell your best (male) friend intimate **** which was meant for your gf, you start sendin intimate pics of yourself to male friends...............
    (well at least i do)
    On top of that you can´t get anything done (like this article is takin me ages to write) and you start spellin like a retard. like i probably am now

So thank you tsr for lettin me get this off my chest as i´m swearin im never signin into msn again and you shouldn´t neither.
    I agree that MSN is annoying. I hate it when someone sparks up a convo with you and you really don't want to talk to them but you've just signed in so an excuse like 'oh, my dinner's ready - i must be off' is implausible. I spend most the time on 'appear off-line'. This makes me feel like some kind of stalker, waiting for a friend i want to speak to to come online and then pouncing on them. This method works quite well, providing the friends you want to chat to aren't also appearing off-line - which, having discussed this with them, they often are! :s

group convos are fun though. But you never really discuss anyhing. I find everyone just ends up feeling utterly bewildered by the fast paced nature of these chats, so resort to just posting emoticons and obscene words.

Yep, when someone answers with 'lol' and nothing else i feel like shouting at them. Where are you supposed to go after a response like that?! But the lol thing for me shows how MSN convos are basically pointless. It's so rare i actually discuss anything of any value with anyone. I very occasionally do have a deep convo with a friend but these chats don't really make up for most of the pointless things i end up mindlessly discussing.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.