Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

What exactly is the point of eyebrows? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ELSHA)
    whats with these hundreds of eyebrow threads!
    the ones before mine inspired my train of thought :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Greghouse)
    How else are people supposed to know if we're supprised or confused?
    or do this? :eyebrow:

ReputationRep:
    :curious: is the point of them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gap)
    So parents can point out to their children that owls have large eyebrows and the kids can relate to it, creating a much meaningless relationship with owls.
    This.
    Dur :rolleyes:
    :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JESSHOLMES)
    Eyebrows have two functions:

1) Physical: to prevent moisture, mostly salty sweat and rain, from flowing into the eye. The typical curved shape of the eyebrow (with a slant on the side) and the direction in which eyebrow hairs are pointed makes sure that sweat/rain will flow sideways around the eyes, along the side of the head and along the nose. Together with the brow ridges, the eyebrows also shade the eyes from sunlight. Eyebrows also prevent debris such as dandruff from falling into the eyes. The hairs also can help us sense or detect objects being near the eye, like small insects.

& 2) Psychological: eyebrows also have an important facilitative function in communication, strengthening expressions, such as surprise or anger. The eyebrows shape the face and gives definition to a person's eyes and forehead.
    thanks (to the other posts as well).. i'm well and truly enlightened :p:.. but now, I'm just wondering, how much do people sweat?! lol

ReputationRep:
    They were iinvented for that freaky cadburys advert.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Krisjustreadin)
    They were iinvented for that freaky cadburys advert.
    hahaha. of course, how could i forget! :p:

ReputationRep:
    That advert gave me the shudders!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Preeka)
    thanks (to the other posts as well).. i'm well and truly enlightened :p:.. but now, I'm just wondering, how much do people sweat?! lol
    If youv never exercised to the point where your eyebrows have to protect you I pity you.

ReputationRep:
    You're welcome

Haha well guys sweat a lot more than girls so I guess that's why they tend to have thicker eyebrows.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds silly but why do we have a random line of hair above our eye? Eyelashes, I get. They're like personal dusters for our eyes but eyebrows? I mean, people might say its an appearance thing but if from the dawn of time, people didn't have a random line of hair above their eye, then surely no eyebrows would be considered attractive. So is there an actual purpose to them 'cause obviously hair grows coarser there than other parts of the face from an early age.
    Lol I haven't read all the posts, and this might have been already mentioned, but I think they're there for the other to deduce expression or mood interpretation :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chrrye)
    If youv never exercised to the point where your eyebrows have to protect you I pity you.
    i'm just not very facially sweaty.

^ that sounds so weird to me when i read it back but don't know how else to phrase it.

ReputationRep:
    i'm just not very facially sweaty.

^ that sounds so weird to me when i read it back but don't know how else to phrase it.
    Noone is really facially sweaty (lmao)
    Its more a trickle down from above thing. you have not heard the phrase 'wipe the sweat from my brow' ?

ReputationRep:
    i think 2 stop sweat running into ur eyes! happened before and it stings like hell!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gap)
    So parents can point out to their children that owls have large eyebrows and the kids can relate to it, creating a much meaningless relationship with owls.
    This!! :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chrrye)
    Noone is really facially sweaty (lmao)
    Its more a trickle down from above thing. you have not heard the phrase 'wipe the sweat from my brow' ?
    lol no i have.. and i've seen it happen to other people but my face never sweats.. i used to feel left out in P.E. as a kid.

ps; maybe that would explain my ignorance to the significance of eyebrows :p:

ReputationRep:
    Sounds silly but why do we have a random line of hair above our eye? Eyelashes, I get. They're like personal dusters for our eyes but eyebrows? I mean, people might say its an appearance thing but if from the dawn of time, people didn't have a random line of hair above their eye, then surely no eyebrows would be considered attractive. So is there an actual purpose to them 'cause obviously hair grows coarser there than other parts of the face from an early age.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the bone beneath the eyebrows used to "jut" out - I guess they would've acted in the same way as eyelashes, to prevent sunlight and dust getting into our eyes and damaging them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CityOfMyHeart)
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the bone beneath the eyebrows used to "jut" out - I guess they would've acted in the same way as eyelashes, to prevent sunlight and dust getting into our eyes and damaging them.
    I think you have to think that as the hair and brow receded [Evolution] the eyebrows stayed for a reason, and that reason is probably not 'dust and sunlight' as they dont do a good job/anything against them?

Think it is just or at least predominantly that the sweat coming down off the head doesnt roll straight into the eyes. And accumulates somewhat in the eyebrows

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FormerlyFrisbeeFan)
    I thought this was partly true; as a species we rely on facial expressions a lot to communicate, and without eyebrows the face would be a lot less expressive.

Sorry just saw your name, do you play ultimate frisbee then ??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Greghouse)
    How else are people supposed to know if we're supprised or confused?
    classic:woo:

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.