Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What exactly is the point of eyebrows? watch

ReputationRep:
    the way i see it theres two reasons
    1.it absorbs sweat it cannot irritate the eye
    2.its a mind control device put in by the president of north korea, because he wants to use us as slaves to summon robot hitler from hell

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chrrye)
    I think you have to think that as the hair and brow receded [Evolution] the eyebrows stayed for a reason, and that reason is probably not 'dust and sunlight' as they dont do a good job/anything against them?

Think it is just or at least predominantly that the sweat coming down off the head doesnt roll straight into the eyes. And accumulates somewhat in the eyebrows
    Ah fair enough - I was just having a random guess :o: We do tend to scrunch up our eyebrows when we're in the sun thouugh and it's not a very good barrier against the light like eyelashes, but I'd imagine that if they were jutting out, they'd be better. Allow the dust thing though, I don't know why I said that XD

ReputationRep:
    Woopi goldberg has no eyebrows! and interestingly enough i dont think beth ditto has them either!!! Does that mean they get sweat in their eyes?:rolleyes: "why are u crying woopi??" :cry: "Crying? I'm not crying its just really hot in here!!??" :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Preeka)
    Sounds silly but why do we have a random line of hair above our eye? Eyelashes, I get. They're like personal dusters for our eyes but eyebrows? I mean, people might say its an appearance thing but if from the dawn of time, people didn't have a random line of hair above their eye, then surely no eyebrows would be considered attractive. So is there an actual purpose to them 'cause obviously hair grows coarser there than other parts of the face from an early age.
    shave the funker off
    naaah just kidding

pretty much what the 2nd post said :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scienta potestas est)
    Sorry just saw your name, do you play ultimate frisbee then ??
    I did at university, though sadly I don't get as many opportunities to play now that I've left Do you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MR.PINK)
    shave the funker off
    naaah just kidding

pretty much what the 2nd post said :yes:
    after you :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FormerlyFrisbeeFan)
    I thought this was partly true; as a species we rely on facial expressions a lot to communicate, and without eyebrows the face would be a lot less expressive.
    This is a great hypothesis, I think it's the most likely. Most of things that arose in recent human evolution are to do with communication.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Preeka)
    after you :p:
    haha, am a boy hun, but i could help u if u come around for a house party :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The West Wing)
    This is a great hypothesis, I think it's the most likely. Most of things that arose in recent human evolution are to do with communication.
    Why thankyou

It did seem to make sense regarding evolution.

ReputationRep:
    they keep my forehead warm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Greghouse)
    How else are people supposed to know if we're supprised or confused?
    This! lol :p:

ReputationRep:
    Cadbury's invented them through genetic engineering so they could run that advert.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by impervious)
    Stop sweat from blinding us is the only explanation I remember hearing.
    :ditto: and keeping dirt/dust out of our eyes, like eyelashes.

ReputationRep:
    We have them otherwise the space between our eyes and our hairline would look too empty, Someone decided to fill in the gaps a bit.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.