Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How many songs do you have on your iPod/mp3 player? Watch

ReputationRep:
    And of these, how many were obtained legally?

ReputationRep:
    About 1100...there are loads more on the PC

Probably around 400 are legal

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JESSHOLMES)
    And of these, how many were obtained legally?
    32,000+ songs and, strictly speaking, none obtained legally. I don't think you're allowed in law to rip a legit CD and put the songs on to your iPod. But about 4,000 of these songs were ripped from my existing CD collection, however.

ReputationRep:

I have a million songs.

I win.

ReputationRep:

Honestly don't know the answer to your second question.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    32,000+ songs and, strictly speaking, none obtained legally. I don't think you're allowed in law to rip a legit CD and put the songs on to your iPod. But about 4,000 of these songs were ripped from my existing CD collection, however.

Jeeeeesus how did you get 32,000 songs? That's an insane amount. Do you listen to all of them?

ReputationRep:
    Only around 2,000, maybe 100 of them are from a CD (Note - Not saying illegal ;P)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by K the Failure)
    I have a million songs.

I win.
    It's not a competition, just a general query.

ReputationRep:
    Used to have about 3000 when I was synced with my old computer, then after that broke I synced it with my laptop, now currently have about 700.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    No more than 1000; I think it's something like 850. I've got more on my computer, but half of them I don't listen to... I never understood why people gloat about having 9,000,000 songs on their MP3 player and then listen to about 3 albums that they like on it.

ReputationRep:
    I have about 6,000 and none of them were obtained legally. Awful isn't it? It is just so much easier to download music using a site like limewire than it is to actually buy songs. I can't bring myself to pay for music knowing i can get it for free, what's the point?

ReputationRep:
    about 2100 methinks, maybe 1000 are legal (as in off CDs etc)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nuodai)
    No more than 1000; I think it's something like 850. I've got more on my computer, but half of them I don't listen to... I never understood why people gloat about having 9,000,000 songs on their MP3 player and then listen to about 3 albums that they like on it.
    I agree! Some have an insane amount of songs but I don't see how anyone would have the time to listen to them all. I have 6,000 and I probably don't even listen to half of them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JESSHOLMES)
    Jeeeeesus how did you get 32,000 songs? That's an insane amount. Do you listen to all of them?
    Some are sound clips or theme tunes obtained when I used AudioGalaxy when I downloaded classic WWE wrestler theme tunes and to cartoons, which are not commercially available songs that are used today. The songs are a compilation of me downloading stuff for about ten years flat out and using internet radio rippers when I was in London for university (as P2P applications were thoroughly banned). I have a 160GB hard drive (I think) and encoded them to M4A file format to save space - MP3s are too large and a lot of people are bitrate Nazis who swear by 320kB/s, when 80kB/s in M4A is the same quality. I don't get time to listen to them all but it's too much hard work to sort out the contents properly and I'm not hard up on space so I leave them on there.

ReputationRep:
    About six thousand. I generally buy the record to any band/artist that I've seen live.

ReputationRep:
    Not very many since they're ALL legal. Around 120 ish. I did have 2000 when they werent legally downloaded

ReputationRep:
    not dat many

ReputationRep:
    Around 800 songs.
    All of which have been obtained by P2P applications and torrents. As far as I know, these are legal until officialy stated to be otherwise :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 4, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.