Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why does the UK have 10x more swine flu cases than any other EU country? Watch

ReputationRep:
    http://www.jonworth.eu/why-does-the-...er-eu-country/

From someone I met 2 years ago on a course. The following theories put forward are:

1. The ‘London Heathrow’ effect – that the UK is a hub for international travel, also shown through the Youtube video above. However the regional spread of the disease – i.e. right across the UK would seem to disprove this, as would the fact that Spain started to have cases before the UK did, but developed far slower. Germany in total would also have the same sort of numbers of transatlantic flights as the UK but has had only 700 cases.
    2. The UK does not screen people at its airports as effectively as other places do.
    3. The centralised nature of the NHS means the UK can more effectively total up the number of cases.
    4. That there’s something specific about the immune systems of the British population, having never been exposed to Spanish flu.
    5. That the British have bad personal hygiene…? ( :eek: )

Any thoughts?

Comments on a postcard please.

ReputationRep:
    We lick each other more than any other country

ReputationRep:
    It's a government conspiracy initiative.

ReputationRep:
    The London Underground?

ReputationRep:
    Im all for a UK massacre due to the flu, it just aint happenin' at the mo
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    I think #4 can be immediately dismissed, since the UK was exposed to Spanish flu (if you're talking about the 1918 outbreak), as was pretty much every country on the planet. #2 is also probably not really viable, since not many, if any, countries screen people entering for viruses and the like, and even if they did they'd have to go on symptoms (which don't show for a few days after infection). #5 is also rubbish; compared to many countries, especially poorer ones, we have really good personal hygiene. I also doubt that #3 has much to do with the spread to the general population (as I'd imagine most people don't make regular visits to NHS institutions)... that leaves #1, which is also a bit dubious, since the majority of cases were, initially, in Scotland (before spreading throughout the country).

ReputationRep:
    We're probably more densely populated than other EU countries.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nuodai)
    I think #4 can be immediately dismissed, since the UK was exposed to Spanish flu (if you're talking about the 1918 outbreak), as was pretty much every country on the planet. #2 is also probably not really viable, since not many, if any, countries screen people entering for viruses and the like, and even if they did they'd have to go on symptoms (which don't show for a few days after infection). #5 is also rubbish; compared to many countries, especially poorer ones, we have really good personal hygiene. I also doubt that #3 has much to do with the spread to the general population (as I'd imagine most people don't make regular visits to NHS institutions)... that leaves #1, which is also a bit dubious, since the majority of cases were, initially, in Scotland (before spreading throughout the country).
    With respect to #2, I know most South American countries are screening for swine flu. When I was in Ecuador in June, each person coming into the country had to fill out a health form and have their temperature taken before they could enter the country. I don't think they've had very many cases of swine flu.

ReputationRep:
    we socialize more than other countries that stay at home all day doing poo :]

ReputationRep:
    It is to do with the chav culture we have in this country. Teenagers pass on the virus through disgusting acts such as kissing and hugging when, in fact, they should be studying for a worthwhile future rather than prancing around trying to get horny. :mad:

That's why this country has so many swine flu victims. Wear a mask, stay away from other Humans. It's not hard, is it? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    The fact that 10 times more people reported having swine flu does not mean that 10 times more people have it. I mean, honestly, have you met a single person with swine flu? Me neither.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prince Rhyus)

4. That there’s something specific about the immune systems of the British population, having never been exposed to Spanish flu.
    But they swiftly realised this was no ordinary flu. Glasgow was the first British city to be affected, in May 1918, and within weeks the illness had spread south, reaching London by June. During the next few months, 228,000 people died in Britain.
    Full article: http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...ic-511987.html

ReputationRep:
    Because 95% of the population share beds with pigs. (chavs)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dionysus)
    I mean, honestly, have you met a single person with swine flu? Me neither.
    Physically met? No, as I've purposefully avoided them.

I do however know 6 people who work at Boots Head Office who have had it, and 3 from See Tickets. That's diagnosed and treated, not just had a case of the sniffles.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    The fact that 10 times more people reported having swine flu does not mean that 10 times more people have it.
    Good point. I was reading Le Monde (a French newspaper) and they were talking about how the French system has a much tighter system in terms of diagnoses, where as opposed to just having a fever and one other symptom (as in the UK) you had to be showing five or six or something... I'll try find the article if I can.

I mean, honestly, have you met a single person with swine flu? Me neither.
    You haven't? Several of my friends and at least 3 of my relatives have had it in the last month or so. Though, admittedly, before that I didn't know any people first-hand who had had it.

ReputationRep:
    proof? reporting discrepancies?

ReputationRep:
    Free treatment on the NHS means more people with mild cases are reporting them where as if they had a mild case and had to pay for tamiflu they would just ride it out

I think the point about our health care system being rather more centralised and government regulated than those of other countries is quite significant. Plus the UK has a higher population density than any other EU country (with the exception of Holland and Belgium), and also a relatively high population. This means that there are more people in the UK (60 million versus roughly 14 and 10 respectively in Holland and Belgium) to potentially catch and spread the disease, and they're also living closer together, so the risk of transmission is far more elevated than in comparatively sparsely populated countries.

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps because many more people are phoning up claiming to have it, although they may well have mistaken standard flu or a cold for it. I think Brits have a bit more of a 'me-too' attitude towards this kind of thing.

(Original post by Spleeny)
    We're probably more densely populated than other EU countries.
    No, the UK IS more densely populated than most european countries.

But then surely the netherlands should be a sneezing wreck by now :unsure:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.