Turn on thread page Beta

Depression causing unbelievable headpains watch

ReputationRep:
    My depression has become so bad over the last couple of months and I have no idea why. The worst thing apart from feeling terrible is that I experience headaches which are so unbearable that I can't bring myself to do much.

I have never been to see a doctor about this, but it has reached a point where I think I have to. I have many suicidal thoughts but I cannot bring myself to do it, and I'm sure I'll never get to the point where I'll go through with it because I always feels doubts, or feel the way to do it will cause too much pain for me. However I still feel depressed and something has to be done.

Do antidepressants relieve people of this pain? Does it help make you feel less down? If I were prescribed these, how long does it take to receive? Do I get them through the post ? :confused: I don't want my parents to know about this.

ReputationRep:
    My theory is that it's due to the lack of serotonin which you need to get on with things. I had a relapse for the past 2 days and had exactly the same problem because I was very low. In that case I think antidepressants can help as they contain serotonin which helps you get on with things and get your life bac on track. They'll take 6 weeks to kick in and you'd have to get them from a pharmacy with a prescription. Why don't you want your parents to know? In my experience telling family means they can help you get through it.

ReputationRep:
    I think you should see a doctor.

ReputationRep:
    my grandad got this, after my nan died
    please dont go down the anti depressents route it will make you more unstable trust me
    go to your doctor.
    he can give you blood tests and the like - you may be defficent in somthing or a particualr hormone may not be working as well as it shoul hence the depression being triggered and they can help you that way
    or maybe, as patronising as it sounds you need to talk it out.

please dont do the anti d's though, they are more trouble than they are worth
    just get to your doctor asap.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ELSHA)
    my grandad got this, after my nan died
    please dont go down the anti depressents route it will make you more unstable trust me
    go to your doctor.
    he can give you blood tests and the like - you may be defficent in somthing or a particualr hormone may not be working as well as it shoul hence the depression being triggered and they can help you that way
    or maybe, as patronising as it sounds you need to talk it out.

please dont do the anti d's though, they are more trouble than they are worth
    just get to your doctor asap.
    It depends on the person. They do help some people and they don't always make you unstable so what happened to your grandad won't necessarily happen to the OP. Like I said- deficient in the hormone serotonin which is what AD's contain.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not a doctor but I thought antidepressants worked by changing things in your brain, not because they're a tablet of seritonin?

Anyway

Head down to the gp's for a chat and they'll let you know options. They like to check things like thyroid and liver functions and testing for anemia

IF antidepressants are the best route they'll take 4-6 weeks to kick in (and it's important to stick out the side effects in the first few weeks as they obviously won't have started working yet). You just get them from the pharmacy like a normal prescription. And a good gp will see you soon after you've started them. If it is the route you and your doctor decide to go down it's a good idea to tell a parent just because if you do get side effects you'll def want looking after

But you might feel better after getting how you're feeling off your chest and going to a counciller might be best. Also (often the last thing you want to do when you're feeling depressed) exercise is a seritonin booster. Definitly explore your options

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lazza)
    I'm not a doctor but I thought antidepressants worked by changing things in your brain, not because they're a tablet of seritonin?

Anyway

Head down to the gp's for a chat and they'll let you know options. They like to check things like thyroid and liver functions and testing for anemia

IF antidepressants are the best route they'll take 4-6 weeks to kick in (and it's important to stick out the side effects in the first few weeks as they obviously won't have started working yet). You just get them from the pharmacy like a normal prescription. And a good gp will see you soon after you've started them. If it is the route you and your doctor decide to go down it's a good idea to tell a parent just because if you do get side effects you'll def want looking after

But you might feel better after getting how you're feeling off your chest and going to a counciller might be best. Also (often the last thing you want to do when you're feeling depressed) exercise is a seritonin booster. Definitly explore your options
    Yeah they do they change the levels of serotonin in your brain. Exercise is also a good idea as is going out and keeping occupied.

ReputationRep:
    I go to the gym every other day for atleast 2 or 3 hours, it takes my mind off things there, but when I get home, usually at night or when I wake up I feel terrible, and I honestly don't know why. I mean I have the usual low self esteem, no motivation and all that stuff that comes as a result of depression, but nothing which I consider major has happened in my life recently to have triggered this in the first place which is what scares me...

I feel too uncomfortable telling them about it, possibly becuase I imagine finding out your child feels at rock bottom would cause a huge pain for them and I don't want them to go through that.

I'll book an appointment on Monday, I hope it goes away because this feels unbearable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ImAStudent)
    I go to the gym every other day for atleast 2 or 3 hours, it takes my mind off things there, but when I get home, usually at night or when I wake up I feel terrible, and I honestly don't know why. I mean I have the usual low self esteem, no motivation and all that stuff that comes as a result of depression, but nothing which I consider major has happened in my life recently to have triggered this in the first place which is what scares me...

I feel too uncomfortable telling them about it, possibly becuase I imagine finding out your child feels at rock bottom would cause a huge pain for them and I don't want them to go through that.

I'll book an appointment on Monday, I hope it goes away because this feels unbearable.
    I had the same problem. Working out gave me temporary relief but I was often worse at night and when I woke up. Sometimes I think it can be small things that cause problems. My ex counsellor told me she reckoned it'd been building up for me for years.

I get that. It was hard for my mum but it was better that she knew and she was a great help. But it's up to you.

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannah_dru)
    Yeah they do they change the levels of serotonin in your brain. Exercise is also a good idea as is going out and keeping occupied.
    Not really. There is no evidence of a "chemical imbalance" or "lack of x neurotransmitter" in things like depression. The only support for this is the idea that "Oh depressed people get happier when we increase the serotonin activity, therefore depression is caused by a lack of serotonin!" which is pretty much the same as saying "headaches are caused by a lack of aspirin", which is just faulty logic.

Anti-depressants such as SSRIs basically stop the reabsorption of serotonin on the presynaptic side of a synapse where it is released, causing it to be in the cleft for longer and encouraging higher quantities to diffuse across to the postsynaptic side and the receptors located there.

It's a very clumsy concept considering serotonin is used in masses of different functions.

Sorry, but I just cringe when people say "o u ar depressed so u got cemical imbolonce" without even possibly thinking of what might be going on in that person's life. As a result, people seek the quick fix and pump themselves full of clumsy psychoactive drugs for something that shouldn't really be medicalized.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    Not really. There is no evidence of a "chemical imbalance" or "lack of x neurotransmitter" in things like depression. The only support for this is the idea that "Oh depressed people get happier when we increase the serotonin activity, therefore depression is caused by a lack of serotonin!" which is pretty much the same as saying "headaches are caused by a lack of aspirin", which is just faulty logic.

Anti-depressants such as SSRIs basically stop the reabsorption of serotonin on the presynaptic side of a synapse where it is released, causing it to be in the cleft for longer and encouraging higher quantities to diffuse across to the postsynaptic side and the receptors located there.

It's a very clumsy concept considering serotonin is used in masses of different functions.

Sorry, but I just cringe when people say "o u ar depressed so u got cemical imbolonce" without even possibly thinking of what might be going on in that person's life. As a result, people seek the quick fix and pump themselves full of clumsy psychoactive drugs for something that shouldn't really be medicalized.
    I'm not saying that a lack of serotonin is all that's wrong, obviously there will be underlying problems. So I wasn't saying that at all, I know that people have other reasons because I did. This is why I suggested other things to do as well, I'm not saying "Oh you have a chemical imbalance go and get pills and you'll be fine." I know that's not always how it works for some people because problems in their life have lead them to get depressed and they need other help like therapy. And I'm sorry but I do believe that the actual headaches are a result of feeling low and having a chemical imbalance, not the depression. I know that depression alone won't be caused by that. I've read it in various sources and been told that serotonin helps improve your mood. However I think there are conflicting sources on this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannah_dru)
    And I'm sorry but I do believe that the actual headaches are a result of feeling low and having a chemical imbalance, not the depression. I know that depression alone won't be caused by that. I've read it in various sources and been told that serotonin helps improve your mood. However I think there are conflicting sources on this.
    I'm not sure about the idea that headaches are caused by chemical imbalances, considering the brain doesn't actually have any pain receptors. That doesn't really make any sense.

And yes, serotonin can increase your mood. So can punting a cat across the garden if such takes your fancy. It doesn't mean depression is due to the lack of cat-punting in your life.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure about the idea that headaches are caused by chemical imbalances, considering the brain doesn't actually have any pain receptors. That doesn't really make any sense.

And yes, serotonin can increase your mood. So can punting a cat across the garden if such takes your fancy. It doesn't mean depression is due to the lack of cat-punting in your life.
    Well I don't know then. As I said that's the only theory I can come up with and it could be a psychological thing.

I'm not saying that! For goodness sake. I don't know why I bother with these threads because someone always starts to argue with me when I'm only trying to help based on what I've been through and what I was told. I'm not saying serotonin is the all out cure.

ReputationRep:
    Anti-depressants definitly aren't a quick fix, but you shouldn't dismiss them alltogether

There should be more information out there about how they do effect you. Something that myself and a number of other users have noted is that it can have a perminant effect on your personality such as your drive to achieve. They are still a relitively new drug and the prescribing of them is an artform in itself.

And the sideeffects! You know you're depressed if you can stand the side effects!

But saying that they turned my life around. I believe that they can be effective hand in hand with talking therapies

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ImAStudent)

I think it was this thread or another that I pointed out something I was reminded the other day. It's is our parents job to protect us, not the other way around. If you feel like you really can't tell them that's fine, but it becomes a lot easier, and a lot safer for you, if you do tell them. Even the relief of telling them will take a big load off you. They will want you to get better, and even if their actions frustrate you at times, they will always have your best interests at heart.

For some reason swimming always makes me feel some relief.

ReputationRep:
    i'm not a doctor (yet), but am in the middle of a psychiatry rotation for my degree, so i can share what i know with you if you like:

there are lots of reasons for someone becoming depressed, although we are not totally sure yet, and yes, a chemical imbalance is one of them - serotonin plays a large part in mood. there are also some other biological causes, stressful events and other social things.

you could be either mildly, moderately or severrely depressed, and can have otherr physical symptoms co-existing - so yes you can get a headache as a result.

the treatments available depend on the severity of depression - mild usually needs just cognitive therapy, the other two work well with therapy and medications. and antidepressants do work well, thats why they are used.

it is also worth looking about your social circumstances - home life, work/school, exercise, social events etc. but if you are experiencing things such as loss of appetite or disturbed sleep then the meds would probably be good. the meds do cause some side effects although not guarenteed, commonly nausea, vomiting, heartburn, diarrhoea, abdo pain. and the effects off them will not be seen for about 4 weeks, like someone said.

you should defrinitely go and see a gp - they can assess how severe your depression is and you can work out a treatment.

hope this helps,

(please note, am not professionally qualified, and as such you should use this advice only as information - consult a doctor)

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 3, 2009
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.