What do I do fools? Watch

• View Poll Results: Who should do it
    You
    66.67%
    The Builder
    33.33%

ReputationRep:
    TSR can do something useful today and help me make a decision :yes:

I have been working hard on my garden the last few months. I have now go to the stage where I am going to pave a fairly large area with natural stone.

I have been reading about how to do this (properly) for a while - and it will be a bit of a challenge, but one I would like attempt.

The problem is time. I just don't have much of it, coupled with the fact that it is almost always raining now I am fairly sure I will struggle to do this by October time (by which tiem it will be impossible due to weather I bet). I also have lots of things to do AFTER the paving is complete.

I have done a lot of the prep work myself, I had quotes to pave it before and labour costs were in the region of 1-1.5k.

I am now getting quotes of about 750ish. I have found a bloke willing to do it for £400 which is mega cheap - and he seems good based on his previous work.

If I attempt it myself I will probably have to spend about £100 on new tools and tool hire - but I get to do it myself.

If I use the pro he does it in 3/4 days and he also does various bits and bobs (like making a step) which are all skilsl I will have to learn as I go. There is also some skill involved with getting the levels correct and sloping it properly.

So what do I do??

Save money but do it myself - painfully over the enxt 2 months.

Pay the guy and get it done quick - possibly regret it later when I had wished I took it on :p:

ReputationRep:
    Do it yourself, it's a challenge and you'll feel great when it's finished.

ReputationRep:
    I personally wouldn't bother doing it at all as I hate gardens. But as I'm otherwise thrifty I'd do it myself if I were you. Plus we got ripped off by a gardener/builder/landscaper type "person" a few months back (my mum's fault) so now I loathe the entire trade.

ReputationRep:
    I think I would def do it myself if I could have a crack at it for a week solid, but I can't get the time off before October, by which time the weather will probably have killed it!

ReputationRep:
    I was also wanting to do something similar in my garden and grow things in the soil but mum didnt want me to take the slaps out + bad weather, but id definitely recommend you do it yourself!

ReputationRep:
    I helped build mine, quite a small area but it was actually fun to do.

I would do it yourself, save the money, and learn something along the way. You'll regret that far less than looking back and thinking you could have done it.

ReputationRep:
    Man up and do it yourself.

ReputationRep:
    you have a garden? how old are you?

ReputationRep:
    I'd say go for it, do it yourself, don't pay someone when you can do it yourself .. Might take longer, i guess it will build some strength skill, and when you finish it you will feel self acheivement, and much better about it. You can wake up and tell yourself after all that work, that you acomplished something

ReputationRep:
    might take you a bit longer, but youll save money and youll know its been done right.

ReputationRep:
    Depends on how much money you have. How much does £300 mean to you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chillaxer)
    you have a garden? how old are you?
    busy old man, hence it will take about 3 months to do it, comapred to 3-5 days for a pro.

ReputationRep:
    man up and look at it like this: gardening is not for me

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.