Turn on thread page Beta

New Student Account And Overdraft Help Please? watch

ReputationRep:
    I recently opened up a student account with Ulster Bank last Friday (24th July). The account has been approved and is now open, I’m just waiting for the card and pin now.

When opening the account I was offered the overdraft but refused as didn’t think I would need it. But a few days ago I got a letter about things I will need for my course (HND).

So on Friday (31st July) afternoon I went to my local branch and requested the overdraft, I had to fill in a form and they put down £500 as the overdraft limit as it’s a new student account.

They said that was fine but it would have to be approved before I would get the overdraft.

I was just wondering if anyone would have any idea as to when this overdraft will become useable on my account as I would like to start getting sorted for the course soon.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, well my adviser at Natwest said they activate them when termtime starts, because in the past they've had non-students open accounts for the cheap overdrafts and then basicaly just run away.

Ask the bank though, only way to know for sure. Anway, you didnt think you would need it, but then suddenly want to use it before uni has even started... explain?

Just use your own money and use your overdraft ONLY when you need to.

ReputationRep:
    I need the overdraft to start getting things for the course, it's an IT course so need some new things such as software and a printer.

If i had any of my own money i would use it, but i'm skint

ReputationRep:
    If you need it to buy books, wait till uni starts, bookshops offer then student discounts on books. Also, you should get a student card with which you discounts at various other stores.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dneill2006)
    I need the overdraft to start getting things for the course, it's an IT course so need some new things such as software and a printer.

If i had any of my own money i would use it, but i'm skint
    Software, wait till you're a student and you get discounts, printer should be same, but you might want to ask this as a separate question on here.

ReputationRep:
    Ok thanks, i'm just really intrested in when i'll actually have the overdraft on my account?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, just wait. Software and print credits will be in the university there for ya to use, so you may not even need to buy em

ReputationRep:
    Ok thanks, i'm just really intrested in when i'll actually have the overdraft on my account?
    You generally need to at least have accepted an unconditional offer of a place - is your offer still conditional upon results at the moment?

ReputationRep:
    Using my predicted results from my last course I was told I definitely would be accepted for the course. I have already received a letter detailing about my course and the start date (31st August).

ReputationRep:
    Using my predicted results from my last course I was told I definitely would be accepted for the course. I have already received a letter detailing about my course and the start date (31st August).
    I'm not quite clear on whether that means your offer is conditional on obtaining your predicted results or not. If they've said that your overdraft will be approved based on what they've already seen, I'd probably give them a week before querying it. If you want to be sure and need it in a hurry, I'd suggest giving them a call for confirmation at the start of the week.

ReputationRep:
    Ok thanks, i'll give them a call on monday or tuesday then.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.