Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm flying out late jan 2010, here is my itenery and what i plan to try and save for each destination. Can i please have any thoughts on whether it is accurate?

LA - 5 days - Staying, travelling & eating with friends - £50

Austrailia (East Coast Cairns - Melbourne) - 4 weeks - £960 (travel & accomodation = camper van, includes standard sites & some diving at GBR)

Fiji - 2 weeks - £380 - Hostels, cheap food, little bit of diving

New Zealand - 4 weeks - £1032 - Travelling via kiwi express, standard attractions, 1 bungee jump, hostels, cheap food

Bali - 2 weeks - £200 - Hostels, cheap food, surf board hire

Thailand - 3 weeks - £450 - Again cheap (not scummy) accomodation, cheap (safe) food, public transport, all standard site seeing stuff

Laos - 1 week - £100 - Again cheap (not scummy) accomodation, cheap (safe) food, public transport, all standard site seeing stuff

Cambodia - 1 week - £100 - Again cheap (not scummy) accomodation, cheap (safe) food, public transport, all standard site seeing stuff

Vietnam - 3 weeks - £350 - Again cheap (not scummy) accomodation, cheap (safe) food, public transport, all standard site seeing stuff

China - 3 weeks - £550 - Again cheap (not scummy) accomodation, cheap (safe) food, public transport, all standard site seeing stuff

Other Costs: RTW flights: £1600
    Other inland flights / Land travel from singapore - Thai: £300
    Vaccinations: (Rabies, Japanese Encephalitis, Hepatitis B): £400
    Travel Insurance: £250
    Equipment Costs (Everything - inc shower gel etc): £400

Totalling: £7122 for roughly 6 months travelling.

Accurate?!?!

ReputationRep:
    Lol forget the maths, that one hell of a trip! wish u all the best

ReputationRep:
    Wowza! That's one hell of a gap year. Definately enough, wouldn't know if it's accurate but considering how long its for it seems about right.
    Enjoy! Sounds like an awesome plan.

ReputationRep:
    Wow you've got it set (Backpacking wise). Make sure some back-up cash is available for you incase of emergencies or something, but im sure you can manage with that.

ReputationRep:
    You will be sleeping in dormatories in China on that budget, and won't be taking any flights.

You won't survive in LA with £50 unless your friends are paying for practically everything.

Don't bother with Rabies or Japanese Encephilitus, and you can probably get Hep B for free if you shop around. Save yourself the money seriously, those vaccinations are not worth it unless your going to be away from medical care for extended periods.

Malaria medication?

Your travel insurance is too expensive by a long shot for 6 months.

How are you spending £400 on equipment, unless thats on electronics I'd buy stuff after you leave the UK to save money (unfortunately your unlikely to save much on electronics, and they may even be more expensive abroad)

---------------------

Personally I think your trying to pack in way too much. Why not travel for longer than 6 months? 3 weeks really doesn't do China justice, and there are loads of surrounding countries which are very easy to visit (Taiwan, S. Korea, and Japan to name three).

ReputationRep:
    LA for 5 days and £50 HAHAHAHAHAHA good luck.

i stopped reading at that point. maybe overlook it again.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah but seriously i won't be paying for anything in LA at all.

Cooool thanks people!

ReputationRep:
    how did you manage to make £7K? lol
    Been working your arse off the past few years to pay for this? ;o

ReputationRep:
    Sound's amazing!!! Not sure I'd be able to save all that money though! xD

ReputationRep:
    Where are you getting the camper van from in Aus? Sounds like an amazing trip!

ReputationRep:
    I did pretty much the exact same trip as that apart from for 8 months and in the reverse direction. I spent just over 8 grand in total so your budget sounds fine. Your gonna have an amazing time!

ReputationRep:
    Just remember - if bits are essential for people (Shower gel, clothing etc.) then you should be able to pick them up in foreign countries for a fraction of the price!

Hope that helps.

ReputationRep:
    I did all of this minus Bali (sob) and LA, did South America instead... you'll have the best time of your life dude

I'd suggest firstly that if you enjoy drinking a lot, some of your costs are off, especially Australia. On the gold coast it can be £5 a pint in most of the clubs.
    I would also say that I reckon you've underestimated how much transport will cost. In Asia you're looking at about $20 for the long-haul bus trips, not so bad but cos you're doing the full curcuit it will add up. Then Oz and NZ, campers and Kiwi exp cost a bomb, have you researched the prices you're paying there, inc. insurance (premium if you're under 21)? I didn't sort it out before for a camper so the cheaper firms, Wicked + Jucy, sold out, we had to go with Traveller's Autobarn in Melbourne which was good but a bit pricy.

totally agree with the guy who said Jap. E and rabies are a waste of money. Unless you're going to love in the jungle and do a re-enactment of Platoon you're just not going to get those diseases (rabies, if you catch it, the injections don't even make you immune, they just give you more time to get to a hospital). Hep A, Typhoid + Tetanus boosters are free and worth it (not sure if anyone agrees, but is it even worth getting Hep B if you're not going to have unprotected sex? could save some money there as long as you are 100% you're not going to shag anybody or lick people's blood).

Get yourself some malarials, those mosquitos will eat you up. I did malarone but it's hella expensive, £120 for 4 weeks, and it gave me really awful stomach cramps - try doxycycline, much cheaper, more side affects but bizarrely helps prevent acne and dihoerrea (sp?).

Aaaand if you can go without some equipment until SE Asia, do so - you can get everything you could ever want out there for a 5th of the price. Not just clothes + backpacks but MP3s, music, cameras, little ladyboys...

I could go on but I'm in danger of being caught dossing at work haha - give us a shout if you need help, I wish I was doing it all again!

ReputationRep:
    From what I've read/heard/planned your overall budget sound pretty good though areas are a bit off...should work out though. Have an awesome trip, I'm planning a similar one

ReputationRep:
    i think thatll be fine, youll have to be a cheapskate more so in some places such as cambodia, i think youll be alright in china but you might have to take the local hard seat trains unless your not moving too much, and vietnam might be a little more expensive than £350, does depend on if your travelling by sleeper train or bus, sharing accomodation, and things like that. have a good time, its sounds like a fantastic trip. Also, you probebly wont need the vaccinations, but if you have the money to spend itll give you peace of mind, shop around for them. i think you can get travel insurance cheaper - my 6 month trip was £70 insurance (although they wernt a good company - karma - go with someone else) so you can shop around for that aswell. i think youll be fine in australia too, we spent £800 in 4 weeks being horrific cheapskates, and did manage to do the whitsunday/barrier reef thing too. we didnt really drink though. equipment budget is fine - spend money to get a decent rucksack, youll wear it alot, make sure you go in and try it on before you buy it or youll end up with crap ones like some of my friends did.

ReputationRep:
    Erm, this thread is old, I'm pretty sure the OP would have finished travelling by now...

ReputationRep:
    Wonder how it went, although I guess he probably doesn't read this site anymore...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ewan)
    Don't bother with Rabies or Japanese Encephilitus, and you can probably get Hep B for free if you shop around. Save yourself the money seriously, those vaccinations are not worth it unless your going to be away from medical care for extended periods.
    I didn't bother with Rabies or Japanese Encephilitus, but when I went for my injections I was already good for Hep A, Typhoid and something else. I was offered Hep B, but it's transmitted by fluids, so I didn't see it as essential. I mean, you could get Hep B in the West by sleeping with the wrong person.

ReputationRep:
    Oh and I think the itinerary is incredibly idealistic, but what the hell, you should already be back now

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Staffordshire University
    Nursing and Midwifery Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Teesside University
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.