Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So, I'm looking to buy my first car, I want to spend 1000ish on it, something economical and realiable, by the way, I really like BMW's E36,it's a good car?Anyone want to share suggestions?

ReputationRep:
    bmw would prob be expensive to ensure id wait till i had a couple years no claims first. Id prob start with a 1.2 corsa or golf

ReputationRep:
    yeah the lowest engine size is like a 1.6.. for a first car, the insurance would probably be quite high. get something with a small engine for a few years to keep the insurance down. plus, those e36s are huge...!

ReputationRep:
    consider the e36 compact. very enjoyable car to drive and lower insurance than the coupe/saloon since it has only ~90bhp.

Yeah, it's all too easy to set your heart on something without considering everything out. Check out insurance rates, road tax and the like before deciding as it all adds up! Also look at how economical it is to run if you're on a budget and how much spare parts are incase you're unfortunate enough to crash it...

I have a brand new Suzuki Alto as my first car and everyone's told me I'm stupid for buying a new car but you have to decide on what's right for you. Hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rader)
    So, I'm looking to buy my first car, I want to spend 1000ish on it, something economical and realiable, by the way, I really like BMW's E36,it's a good car?Anyone want to share suggestions?

I wouldn't.
    Petrol & Insurance = All your money gone.

ReputationRep:
    Stick to something small with either a 1.0 engine or 1.2,

I've got a 1.4 golf its a really nice car..but the insurance is nearly £3k

I'd say get a corsa or a fiat punto

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anandv05)
    Stick to something small with either a 1.0 engine or 1.2,

I've got a 1.4 golf its a really nice car..but the insurance is nearly £3k

I'd say get a corsa or a fiat punto
    1.4 golf , how old is it ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maximum Velocity)
    1.4 golf , how old is it ?
    Its a 51plate so around 8 years old.. Ive got 1 years NCB though or should have in November and got a renewal quote for £1950!

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.