The Student Room Group
Reply 1
You should be fine. The judge might give you a suspicious glance every now and then but I wouldn't worry. :p:
Reply 2
Who are you shadowing? Judge or counsel? It should be fine, if not someone will tell you politely.
Reply 3
I'm doing work experience with a judge.

I'm more worried about security at the entrance because I'm arriving alone. Will they even allow me to take a notepad etc inside with me? I've heard they're very stingey at the Old Bailey i.e. they do not allow bags, phones, etc inside the building and don't hold on to these items for you.

Apologies if this is a silly quesiton with an obvious answer. I just really don't want to risk making an idiot of myself on my first day!
Reply 4
braceface
I'm doing work experience with a judge.

I'm more worried about security at the entrance because I'm arriving alone. Will they even allow me to take a notepad etc inside with me? I've heard they're very stingey at the Old Bailey i.e. they do not allow bags, phones, etc inside the building and don't hold on to these items for you.

Apologies if this is a silly quesiton with an obvious answer. I just really don't want to risk making an idiot of myself on my first day!

They will let you take a notepad and pen but it's probably best not to take your bag. You can leave your mobile (I think) at a cafe across the road for something like 50p but tbh, you're better off just leaving it at home. You should be fine and even if they did confiscate your paper I doubt you'd make an idiot of yourself, it happens all the time - they even take chocolate off you :eek3:!
Hey.. I know this is a late reply..but how did you arrange work experience at the old bailey..i cant find a telephone number :frown: x
Reply 6
I shadowed a High Court Judge; whilst sitting next to him on the bench I was allowed to take as many notes as I pleased – I was also allowed to keep them.
Reply 7
You can take a notepad and pen-but be careful not to draw pictures, I was warned specifically not to do this when I went to the Old Bailey to watch a case.

I don't remember if I took my bag in with me, but I think I must have done.

Security is no worse than at the airport (can't remember specifically, it was a while ago when I went).
Reply 8
Yeah of course you can take a notepad and pen to make notes. The courts are there for the public to sit in and journalists obviously record what was said too. You may need a special permit to be a journalist in a courtroom but personal notes are fine.

They won't let you take them in a bag though so leave that at home, along with your phone. :yep: