Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Labour stand a chance at bouncing back? Watch

• View Poll Results: Do Labour have any chance of fighting back at wining the next GE?
    Yes
    34.62%
    No
    65.38%

ReputationRep:
    Peter Mandelson has announced that Labour should "roll its sleeves up" and take the fight to the Conservatives instead of handing them victory "on a plate".

He continues by saying that "Do we shrug our shoulders, accept our fate and meekly hand over power to an arrogant Conservative Party which believes it can do nothing, sit back and be given power on a plate?"

Is Lord Mandelson right, do the Labour party have a chance in winning the next general election? With those who have lost trust in the party, what would you like to see for you to consider voting for them again?

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8180056.stm

ReputationRep:
    It would take a miracle, and I mean a MIRACLE.

ReputationRep:
    Nine months is a long time in politics...I think it's certainly possible, but not very probable that Labour will win.

I wouldn't vote for them, but I'd rather Labour than a Tory govt.

ReputationRep:
    They don't deserve another term. Which is what many pollsters feel.

ReputationRep:
    If you vote Labour you are scum.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Forbidden Fruit)
    It would take a miracle, and I mean a MIRACLE.
    how would having a crew of country wrecking fools be a miracle

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't count on it...
    To be honest I'm not one who will or wont support a party just because of what it is. All I care about is for the government to not be so disfuncitonal and run this country like the way it should! UK is supposed to be in the forefront of politics, democracy and all that, especially with its international significance. Yet, some of the stuff that's been going on with parties (obviously most with Labour) it just seems like it's all being run by a bunch of kids. If it's not Gordon Brown's make-up and fake tan revelation, it's David Cameron's mocking imitation of the german accent and insulting twitter users.

Right now Labour just can't seem to do anything right, personally I don't care if its Labour, Conservative, Lib Dems...just whatever it takes to just get everything back to how it should be. It's all just a farce :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    Stop taking what politicians say so seriously.
    Of course Mandy is going to say we can win the next election he´s a politician.

ReputationRep:
    I support Labour but I think a break will be best for them, so hope the Tories win this one. I think Labour can pull back the voters in droves though, Gordon just needs to start making promises and bills that are more crowd-pleasing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crusading)
    So people who use their democratic right to vote for a party of their choosing as opposed to the party that you agree with are scum?

Are you going to troll these forums all night or are you just a genuine ignorant person? :rolleyes:

And before you ask no I'm not a Labour voter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AntiMonarchist)
    Stop taking what politicians say so seriously.
    Of course Mandy is going to say we can win the next election he´s a politician.
    I understand full well that politicians are going to say whatever they can to try and pull themselves out of a rut.

I wasn't taking it too seriously really. All I wanted to do was find out what it would take to restore trust in the Labour party, if possible at all :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fire2burn)
    So people who use their democratic right to vote for a party of their choosing as opposed to the party that you agree with are scum?
    Yes. :teeth:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crusading)

How'd you work that one out?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Welsh_insomniac)
    I understand full well that politicians are going to say whatever they can to try and pull themselves out of a rut.

I wasn't taking it too seriously really. All I wanted to do was find out what it would take to restore trust in the Labour party, if possible at all :o:
    Well it would take a miracle of epic proportions such as Gordon saving the world´s financial system.

OH wait he did :woo:

ReputationRep:
    any one except tory

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AntiMonarchist)
    Well it would take a miracle of epic proportions such as Gordon saving the world´s financial system.

OH wait he did :woo:
    No no, he saved the world.

ReputationRep:
    Nine months is a very long time in politics.

If the economy starts to bounce back before the next election then there may be a chance, there are still the party conferences to come which can change things, plus if the polls begin to narrow, the reaction of the conservative party members, who just 2 years ago were turning on him and threatening his leadership, could well do damage to the Torys.

I'm personally hoping for a hung parliament so that all parties can take a serious look at themselves and decide what they represent rather than simply fight for the middle ground.

ReputationRep:
    As people have said, nine months is a very long time- enough to give things time to change. Of course, in this case, Gordon Brown and his party need a change of epic proportions. But it would be foolish to write them off completely at this stage.

Yes, the smart money is on a Conservative win but there are a number of factors which could sway public opinion over the coming period- ie. God forbid the economy improves in this time? Labour commit to constitutional reform that the public actually agrees with? The traditional sleaze scandals of the Conservatives force themselves onto the political map again?

Personally, I'm unsure of who I'll be voting for at the moment in the next election, I'll decide in the weeks running up to the day when the ballots open. That's personal and there's nothing wrong with knowing who you will vote for right now and indeed in the future. However, it is wrong to think victory itself is assured for the Conservatives at this early juncture. Remember 1992 after all, most expected Labour to comfortably win the election yet the Conservatives returned with a majority of 18. Politics is a funny old game...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.