Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    If you hold open the door for a girl or offer a lady your coat in the cold weather are you being kind and doing the proper thing or are you being sexist because you assume that you have to do these things for her?

Where do people stand?

ReputationRep:
    I consider it polite.. its not a compulsory gesture but it's a nice one so no i don't think its sexist.

ReputationRep:
    im sure many feminists would find it sexist

i wouldnt =)

ReputationRep:
    i think it's reallyyyyy sexist and old fashion! it's 21st century mate!!!

ReputationRep:
    It's manner's. And we see other's do it when young, so presume we must also.

I think it's great, and in no way implies anything sexist. I hold door's open for men if they are just behind me. Does that mean I'm implying anything gay? no.. lol.

ReputationRep:
    Even if it does, I think quite a few girls go for that sort of thing so it doesn't really matter.

ReputationRep:
    thats more being polite, then sexist

sexism is the belief or attitude that one gender or sex is inferior, now thats not happening in that case

ReputationRep:
    Sexist is refusing to get into your taxi because the driver is female, not holding a dor open for a woman.

tbf I think you should hold the door for me too

ReputationRep:
    I always do little things like this because it's just how i was brought up, yet i have angered girls by doing so.

I like how none of the girls so far think it's sexist but i bloke does

ReputationRep:
    IF a girl would find me doing this sexist then i would not particualrly like to be around her

I like holding open doors for women and letting them walk first, I have always done so and will always carry on doing so. Any extreme feminists want to bite my head off for this they can f*** off.

The day that courtesy is sexist is when im done.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's gentlemanly but it's sexist for a woman to expect a man to pay for her.

ReputationRep:
    I hold the door open for people regardless of their sex.

But I will admit now I am sexist at times. Especially when it comes to work. Even though I know the girls are just as good as the guys at what we do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hamcock)
    i think it's reallyyyyy sexist and old fashion! it's 21st century mate!!!
    Plz stop commenting... i can't take anything seriously when I see that ridiculous HK drama post!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Rufus_Doofus*)
    Plz stop commenting... i can't take anything seriously when I see that ridiculous HK drama post!!
    :rofl: You noticed it too.

If a man of average strength insisted on opening doors for women because he perceived them to automatically be weaker than them, then that would suggest some prejudice exists. However, most people mainly follow such conventions mainly out of politeness and to be in keeping with certain social expectations- not because they actively think it's necessary, or women need protection or assistance of some variety.

ReputationRep:

(Original post by Irrelevance)

what post?? what did i miss?

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it does make someone sexist, it's more a sign of politeness. If someone found it sexist then I would be amazed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ibs137)
    what post?? what did i miss?
    Never mind, ibs. Just...never mind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Irrelevance)
    It's hir-air-ri-ous! Bet he has no clue what it is either

ReputationRep:
    It's hir-air-ri-ous! Bet he has no clue what it is either
    It'd be more entertaining if he was a die hard fan. The chances of that happening are incredibly slim, though.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.